The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

21 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Now when Benning is in Gillismode I hope you guys talk good of Gillis in the near future. :bigblush:

We Drafted Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Boeser, Podkolzin, McCann, Rathbone, Demko etc. While JB has been here 

There will never be a comparison in that aspect 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Now when Benning is in Gillismode I hope you guys talk good of Gillis in the near future. :bigblush:

Now that Hank and Dank and now OEL are in the organization with Edler and Petey and Hogz, everyone is going to be more thoughtful, empathetic, and respectful, as they were taught to be back in Sweden.

(I wish.  CDC will continue to be a cesspool of idiot spew, with islands of 'good' posters that make it still the best place for Canucks news and discussions bar none.)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

With OEL on our team, should we consider keeping Schmidt now?

There is so much talk around moving him but I think it depletes our d-core drastically if we do.

Keeping him would give us good depth on the blue-line but the rumours of him wanting to leave and the fact Benning seems to be intending on moving him soon shows otherwise. 

Very soon like anytime now. Might already be done.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd hope JB is overthinking as well.  I believe this is the team, mostly, who he feels will compete for the Cup.  If so, there's not a lot of work to be done, other than adjustments here and there.  

I think there's enough good players in their prime that he can bow start to have a perpetual rotation of older players out for picks and developed guys in.  I'm expecting that over the next few years he starts building up draft picks again and with the farm in Abby now, they can really dial in their development system.

Benning is close to having a Bergevin-like off season that completely transforms the team.  All the needs to do is add 2 serviceable RD and a 4C to get us where we need to be.  One or both of Schmidt and Holtby may be gone in the process, but he's done the heavy lifting already with this trade. 

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Ha! I think we’ll do great next year.  

Just calling it like I see it regarding the cap / prospect pool though.  We haven’t really experienced “too many good players” in a loooong time and hopefully that’s where we’re headed.  The bad news is, in a cap world, it’s hard to keep everyone. The good news is that should help add picks/prospects that we’re short on.  

To expand a bit, my mind is responding a lot to what I heard from Harman Dayal on one of those billion podcasts out there.  

While I usually find him fairy measured on Twitter and the Athletic he was kinda going off on the OEL trade.  His biggest gripe was lack of ELCs coming in the pipeline to support the solid top 9 JB has put together.  

It’s a fair point… however it does ignore the possibility that we can recoup cheaper / younger players now that we are finally (hopefully) in a position to sell high on a piece or two.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Benning is close to having a Bergevin-like off season that completely transforms the team.  All the needs to do is add 2 serviceable RD and a 4C to get us where we need to be.  One or both of Schmidt and Holtby may be gone in the process, but he's done the heavy lifting already with this trade. 

With what cap? 

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Does Benning make another multi player trade deal moving out both Schmidt and Holtby, and bringing back the exact pieces you’re suggesting?  How awesome would that be?  :frantic:

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

To expand a bit, my mind is responding a lot to what I heard from Harman Dayal on one of those billion podcasts out there.  

While I usually find him fairy measured on Twitter and the Athletic he was kinda going off on the OEL trade.  His biggest gripe was lack of ELCs coming in the pipeline to support the solid top 9 JB has put together.  

It’s a fair point… however it does ignore the possibility that we can recoup cheaper / younger players now that we are finally (hopefully) in a position to sell high on a piece or two.  

And that TBay, with their back to back Cups, only drafted Hedman on their D.  The rest all came via trade or free agency.  

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I doubt it. They're still valuable, albeit overpaid. Perhaps we can make a hockey trade for Schmidt and land a more defensive minded RHD in return?

I just cant help of think of boston. Dont have any goaltending really and no offense dmen in their dcore. Clifton whos pretty much the same size as schmidt but a bit younger and maybe a pick but who knows. 

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

I just cant help of think of boston. Dont have any goaltending really and no offense dmen in their dcore. Clifton whos pretty much the same size as schmidt but a bit younger and maybe a pick but who knows. 

Apparently they're going hard on Suter. Boston is a pretty desirable destination, so I think they land him.

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I dunno, with Hoglander and Podkolzin there's 2 ELCs in that forward group and another one just graduating.  Similar situation on D.  Seems like our pipeline has been good enough that we can afford this and the Miller trade.  Wouldn't want to mortgage the future any more than this, but it's justified when a young core is in place and needs to be properly supported.  Still think this trade was a stroke of genius. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1