The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why though? As it currently sits, our top 9 wings are pretty stacked. 

Miller

Hoglander

Pearson

Boeser

Garland 

Podkolzin

I think the obvious holes that need to be filled are one more bottom 6 center, and one more defensive RH (Two if Schmidt is moved).

We have depth when Pearson is on the third line.

UFA/Trade Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Miller Podkolzin 

Motte Dickinson Highmore/Mac/Gadjovich

Thats the kind of depth I’m looking for. That’s how you compete for a cup.

Three lines that could all play top minutes on different nights.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

I'd hope so, the only thing is that Benning has been trying to make these moves for weeks now and has landed nothing yet. 

I guess time will tell! 

I figure we may have to wait for all the prime real estate to be purchased before we can really hit the market. Once Suter, Savard and Hamilton land I imagine the teams that lost out might come calling about Schmidt. Same goes for Holtby when most of the other goalies have been snatched up.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Team isnt even finished yet ya boner

If you could read you would see that is what I said. Even if Jim finds that last few pieces and I think he will that doesn't give you depth. Depth needs to go beyond the NHL club. It needs to go beyond the four lines.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Miller Podkolzin 

It'd be awesome to have the type of forward depth to put Miller (Or Horvat) on the third line, but with our cap situation the way it is, I think the holes on the blueline have to take precedence.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If you could read you would see that is what I said. Even if Jim finds that last few pieces and I think he will that doesn't give you depth. Depth needs to go beyond the NHL club. It needs to go beyond the four lines.

Yes we need a ace in the hole like a top 6 player in our back pocket waiting to pounce!! Lmao

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

&^@#in grasping now eh bud. I hope you're not this pessimistic and miserable out in the real world. 

• Haha 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It'd be awesome to have the type of forward depth to put Miller (Or Horvat) on the third line, but with our cap situation the way it is, I think the holes on the blueline have to take precedence.

We most likely just focus on D now.

But with keeping Miller at center it saves money on a third line center.

Depending on what Petey, Hughes, Garland and Dickinson come in at we may have a little more cap space.

If Holtby and Schmidt come off the books that money can be split between a couple 2-3 million dollar defensemen and a cheaper backup.

I just think we’d be smarter to go after a couple cheaper defensemen (Hamonic/Hakanpaa?) and get more scoring depth.

After digesting this trade it looks better to me.

need top 4 D man- accomplished

3 C -accomplished

shed cap, accomplished

Upgrade top 9 -accomplished

The length on OEL's contract is a concern only as we pay the recapture penalty. Picking up Garland is a plus. Sign Hughes and Petey to reasonable term and cash and we might even have enough left to sign another seasoned defenseman other than Elder. I would say aggressive Jim has done a good job here. A little edge on the fourth line might be nice but not necessary. Start the year having a little cap room for the TDL wouldn't be a bad thing either if we look like we are in the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Miller Podkolzin 

This would be the way to go! Also have to address the toughness, would be nice to have someone who can stand up to Reeves, although how many can. I think Coleman would thrive with that group of forwards, many line combinations would work, but there are options other than Coleman. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Gillis didn’t have the same OAs Benning has.

And I also talked about Benning are into Gillismode now trying for the Cup while throwing away his drafting.

This is actually positive because now Benning is talking business instead of the dwelling in the celler before.

Tankmode is gone and Gillismode in place. 

Guess the difference is we may get a player or 2 out of these lower rounds. Let’s hope JB finishes the job. Gillis got us as close as you can get regardless of his deficiencies 

Surprised we are critiquting the top 9. Let's see what Dickinson is first, Miller isn't effectively utilized on the 3rd line anyways.

I think a 3rd line with Dickinson, Podkolzin & then Hog/Pears could be a competitive advantage over many teams.

Plus I've seen people regarding Garland as a credible 1st line fwd.

Think of just a few years ago when Pettersson was starting out with Goldobin & Eriksson, compared to where we are now.

Been forever since we had a full top 9 to be excited about.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Surprised we are critiquting the top 9. Let's see what Dickinson is first, Miller isn't effectively utilized on the 3rd line anyways.

I think a 3rd line with Dickinson, Podkolzin & then Hog/Pears could be a competitive advantage over many teams.

Plus I've seen people regarding Garland as a credible 1st line fwd.

Think of just a few years ago when Pettersson was starting out with Goldobin & Eriksson, compared to where we are now.

Been forever since we had a full top 9 to be excited about.

Not enough scoring on that third line.

Too much hoping that Dickinson can find another level of offense and Podkolzin can contribute on the score sheet.

Miller on the third line would eat up other teams weaker defense matchups. That roster the way it is can be shut down too easy. We need legit scoring threats on 3 lines.

8 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Two players with similar roles and skillsets....yes lol. Similar players get compared all the time....Tanev and OEL however are not similar....its pretty straightforward. 

Yea I get it but the risk is still relevant I feel for any player with a contract into their mid 30s

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not enough scoring on that third line.

Too much hoping that Dickinson can find another level of offense and Podkolzin can contribute on the score sheet.

Miller on the third line would eat up other teams weaker defense matchups. That roster the way it is can be shut down too easy. We need legit scoring threats on 3 lines.

I think Podkolzin can contribute, say conservatively 30+ pts over 82, not bad for 3rd line. Could also drop Hoglander down instead of Pearson, & he'd add creativity.

Dickinson is a matchup guy. Malhotra wasnt a great offensive player either but there was no question about him being the 3rd C. 

If he can play that role & free up the second line, well then you've added extra offensive ability that way.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Miller Podkolzin 

I suppose I'm one of the minority that likes the idea of Miller as a center. The only problem is Petey needs 

to improve his faceoff %. 

Otherwise, it potentially creates 3 lines that are difficult to defend against. 

One thing I would do that might seem asinine is, try Gadz on the 1st line. As long his skating improves,

he can crash and bang, take position in front of the net, and has the skill level to bang home rebounds and tip-in shots. 

Plus, he has the ability to stand up for Petey and Boeser. I feel it's worth a try. 

I would at least try Harley the Hog with Bo and Garland, it could work out. If not, put Pearson back with Bo and Garland. 

Harley with Miller/Podkolzin, and Motte, Dickinson and Lockwood. 

That would be a difficult/dynamic line up to play against, if all went accordingly. 

• Cheers 2