The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Podkolzin can contribute, say conservatively 30+ pts over 82, not bad for 3rd line. Could also drop Hoglander down instead of Pearson, & he'd add creativity.

Dickinson is a matchup guy. Malhotra wasnt a great offensive player either but there was no question about him being the 3rd C. 

If he can play that role & free up the second line, well then you've added extra offensive ability that way.

I don’t think Benning and Green are interested in a shutdown third line.

They both said they want scoring on all three lines. To me that means we’re not likely to see Podkolzin and Dickinson on the same line. Too much hoping there.

Just saying don’t be surprised if we add another top 6 winger.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we have to yes, but it sure sounds like both the player and Benning want to move on.  Benning gave Holtby’s agent the go ahead to work on a trade.  Best if he moves one.  We need that cap room too.  Sign a backup for 1.5.  That’s 3 saved.  Add that to Jakes 2.5 and that’s a darned good right shot D from free agency.  

it might be really hard to move him without retention tho. If thats the case then maybe another buyout tomorrow is best. 

If we ar shopping it looks like Big save Dave at 2 mil maybe? Brossoit? or maybe a redemption project in Hogberg for really cheap? I'm sure Ian Clark would have a big say in this. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think Benning and Green are interested in a shutdown third line.

They both said they want scoring on all three lines. To me that means we’re not likely to see Podkolzin and Dickinson on the same line. Too much hoping there.

Just saying don’t be surprised if we add another top 6 winger.

I'd he surprised. The forward group is good outside some depth, need to put the money into our defense.

Also Benning said he's thinks there's extra offense to Dickinson. The way he skates, I could see him apart of a line that contributes offense. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it might be really hard to move him without retention tho. If thats the case then maybe another buyout tomorrow is best. 

If we ar shopping it looks like Big save Dave at 2 mil maybe? Brossoit? or maybe a redemption project in Hogberg for really cheap? I'm sure Ian Clark would have a big say in this. 

If Holtby wants out badly enough, maybe he agrees to a mutual termination and goes the free agent route?  Same with Schmidt.  It was such a breath of fresh air to see two guys (OEL and Garland so excited to be here.  Seriously, just get rid of guys who don’t want to be here.  Yes, buyout Holtby if that’s what it takes.  

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With a Schmidt trade we can certainly keep Holtby.  That may be the plan now.  With over $21 million in cap space plus Ferland going on LTIR that allows us to basically have a working cap of $85,000,000.  That should allow us to re-sign, Petey, Quinn, Garland, Dickinson, Juolevi.  Add Podkolzin and Gadjovich and we still have a couple million to spare with only a 4C and RHD needed.  If we can trade Schmidt then that frees up enough money to go get a Hakanpaa and Hamonic to solidify the D and someone like Getzlaf to come in as a 3C/4C.  And that is without trading Holtby.  

Totally doable...

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

Pearson       Horvat          Garland

Hoglander   Dickinson     Podkolzin

Highmore    Getzlaf          Motte

Gadjovich                        MacEwen

Hughes          Hamonic

OEL               Hakanpaa

Juolevi           Myers

Rathbone

Demko      Holtby

With the Luongo recapture and Ferland on LTIR that lineup is easily doable within the cap.

Not only is that a playoff team but we can also do some damage when we get there.  Really hoping for a Schmidt trade to free up the funds to go after Hakanpaa/Hamonic/Getzlaf.  

I'd be very happy to see Getzlaf here on a Perry type deal. 

I think we may have to wait for the big names in free agency to go off the board before a Schmidt or Holbty deal happens, but maybe after that Jim can make some more moves.

We have a few guys who are arbitration eligible, and that actually helps us a lot. If we elect to do that with Hawryluk, e.g. then we get a second buyout window in August. So if we need to buy out Holtby then, its possible at that time. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

What Garland and OEL do is allow for two solid, balanced PP lines.  I'd actually like to see Boes and Petey split up on the PP.

Garland Bo Petey

Hughes Myers

Boes Miller Hogz 

OEL OJ/Rathbone

Now that does look good... 

both PP's can be iced and be seriously dangerous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It could be because he was a bit pouty/cranky, but JT was a turnover machine last year. Some of them were truly horrendous. At any rate, I’m not sure I’m too enthused with  him handling the puck as much as a center needs too. Get him back to the wing.

A little more shoring up of the D and I’m cautiously excited for next year.

Need EP to stay healthy in a bad way. I’ve been a bit of a gym rat since I retired, and have a certain amount of knowledge of such things, and I like what I’m seeing in terms of a thicker Elias Pettershon.

A few days later, I like Jimbo’s signature deal even a bit more now. I can see his vision for the team better now than ever I think. There were times I wasn’t sure Jimbo was capable of being a visionary.

edit: ok, maybe Jim Benning = Visionary is a bit strong.

Edited by Locke Lamora

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Jones, who is not as good, just got 9.5 x 8.  Clearly that’s an overpay for Jones though, by about 2 mil.  

I don't get the Jones hype, I really don't. 2 1sts and Boqvist + 9.5 aav seems nutty to me for a guy who topped 50 points once. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could be the Canucks best Top 9 in a long time

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Except if Miller is up on the top line Petey is in the middle.  I could see Green moving Miller to 3C and putting Pods up with Petey and Bess.  We’d be super strong down the middle.

Pods, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Garland

Pearson, Miller, Lockwood

Motte, Dickinson, Highmore/Big Mac 

Roll ‘em Greener.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Not if we don't want Demko to get burnt out playing 70 games because we brought in an AHL sieve to back him up.

there just aren't a lot of really good FA backups out there tho. I guess that explains the interest in Holtby. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't get the Jones hype, I really don't. 2 1sts and Boqvist + 9.5 aav seems nutty to me for a guy who topped 50 points once. 

The Hawks are going to regret this deal real fast.  Jones will struggle, and Boqvist might just take off in CBJ.  Funny as hell to watch though!  Hate the Hawks.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there just aren't a lot of really good FA backups out there tho. I guess that explains the interest in Holtby. 

True, but I'd rather roll the dice with DiPietro than bring in a guy who's proven that he is incapable of playing well enough to belong in the NHL.  Rittich is absolute trash and you can't win in today's NHL with a backup who doesn't give you a chance.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

The Hawks are going to regret this deal real fast.  Jones will struggle, and Boqvist might just take off in CBJ.  Funny as hell to watch though!  Hate the Hawks.  

yeah that CHI management group deserves an albatross. Scumbags. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

True, but I'd rather roll the dice with DiPietro than bring in a guy who's proven that he is incapable of playing well enough to belong in the NHL.  Rittich is absolute trash.

Does Dipietro need to clear waivers to play games for us and the for Abbotsford?  If not, he could backup Demko, and still get extra starts in Abby.  When he’s in Abby, then Rittich (or any other guy) could sit on the bench and watch Demko win games.