The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be very happy to see Getzlaf here on a Perry type deal. 

I think we may have to wait for the big names in free agency to go off the board before a Schmidt or Holbty deal happens, but maybe after that Jim can make some more moves.

We have a few guys who are arbitration eligible, and that actually helps us a lot. If we elect to do that with Hawryluk, e.g. then we get a second buyout window in August. So if we need to buy out Holtby then, its possible at that time. 

Getzlaf still has a lot left in the tank.

Maybe hes not as quick aa he used to be, but he was always pretty strong on his skates and still is.  Probably still has some of the best hands in the game.  He would look really good as a 3c and allow us to roll 3 lines.

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Miller - Petterson - Boeser

Garland - Getzlaf - Dickinson

Motte - Graovac - Mackewan 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Getzlaf still has a lot left in the tank.

Maybe hes not as quick aa he used to be, but he was always pretty strong on his skates and still is.  Probably still has some of the best hands in the game.  He would look really good as a 3c and allow us to roll 3 lines.

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Miller - Petterson - Boeser

Garland - Getzlaf - Dickinson

Motte - Graovac - Mackewan 

Pearson?

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea I get it but the risk is still relevant I feel for any player with a contract into their mid 30s

Totally, the length of the contract is suspect for sure. That's the part I'm not crazy about. At the very least. one can hope he can at least contribute into those contract years and actually play some minutes. That or Jim is going to have to get creative again or work with OEL to make it work...our cap situation will likely be much different in 4-5  years so we'll have to see.

Edited by CJ44

OEL is a great add to the D, but after Hughes and Myers, there's so many question marks. 

Schmidt needs to go, his heart just isn't in it here and he makes too much for what he brings.

Is Juolevi finally ready to show the world he's a Top 4 Dman? If not, then add him as a sweetener in a Holtby trade. 

Re-sign Hamonic, a right-shot, one of the only truly physical players last season and he has a year experience paired with Hughes. 

Looking at the Canucks depth, Myers is the only right-shot D they currently have on the roster (aside from Hamonic). More RDs please.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

These are the 'expert' sources that posters pick up on online - and parrot in threads like this.

No wonder hockey discussion in here can get so futile / annoying / counterproductive / pointless at times.

Ekman Larson - allegedly one of the NHL's 'worst contracts' over the past three years....

With absurd noise surrounding him - reducing him to one of the league's worst contracts - truly laughable noise....

Wasn't even close to the worst contract on his own team, playing with a one-dimensional float-show like Phil Kessel.

A team that just ate the contracts of Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, and Gostisbehere.

A league that has contracts like Jake Gardiner's, Jeff Skinner!!!, PK Subban, Kyle Okposo, Colin Miller, Frans Nielsen, Matt Murray, Matt Duchene, Adam Henrique, Boychuk, Erik Karlsson, James Neal, Milan Lucic, Brent Seabrook, Tyler Johnson....

And that's just the start / the more obvious to list.....not even near a top 20....

As with any player you sign to term and significant cap - there is inherent risk - but he's still a 40+ pt, 20+ minutes, all situations defenseman....the talk as if he's been awful for three straight years - is baffling to say the least....but that's the nature of internet 'information' surrounding the NHL in this twitter era - so much misleading noise imo.

You could have been talking about another 30 yr old we signed years ago (that i bolded),

Sources then were saying the Canucks over paid with a horrible amount of money and term and fans saying what you are now about OEL

JB said this upon the signing

“Loui is an excellent two-way forward, an elite scorer and playmaker with great defensive instincts,” Canucks general manager Jim Benning said in a press release. “He is an accomplished player who helps our team now and in the future as a leader and role model for our young players to follow. We’re excited to have Loui join our team and help us compete every night.”

I believe QEL will turn out better than LE, especially the 1st yr or 2

• Wat 2

21 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

We weren't shopping him last year. That is a false narrative perpetuated by media and CDC. Benning called him out and that was twisted in to he was being shopped. Except Benning went on record saying that they weren't trying to trade him and that he was just sending him a message. Virtanen worked harder in the off season and came in to camp in shape so it seems like he got the message.

I think he was already walking on eggshells when Brock and Petey threw him under the bus before the season even started. They criticized his defensive game and as a result, I saw Jake focusing on the defensive side to the detriment of his offensive game. He started to round out his game and was playing better when the scandal hit.

He's was on the wrong side of the popularity contest fans before the incident came to light. If you go back to the patrick kane thread, you can see how many people defended him; It's bizarre. He was accused of drugging and raping a woman.

Speed size and skill. Some team is going to get a good player who can move up and down the line up.

Are you actually friends with Benning? Because how do you really know? I've been seeing this a lot on this board lately, anytime there is a rumor now it's fake news all the time now? Like this is starting to get ridiculous and Benning is the only guy who tells the truth all the time? Again we don't really know if he was being shopped, but if you put the pieces together it really looks like he was, the rumor back then was teams were watching JV for his ice time, magically about 2 weeks before the trade dealine Virtanen was bumped up the lineup even though he never earned it but was rewarded, definitely seems suspicious for the timing and the rumor of ice time. Then there was also a deal in place with Anaheim, but couldn't come to an agreement, again rumors but there are people out there who talk to a lot of people and they do hear things, I'm definitely sure more than anyone on CDC. Benning said Schmidt isn't being moved either, so I guess that won't happen... And if it does, does that mean Benning can't be trusted anymore? 

Regarding Jake and his future here, he sure didn't seem to care much until about the trade deadline when he stepped up his game a bit, he played like he was trying to get moved but majority of his play looked like he really didn't care and took a free paycheck. I always felt when Horvat last year yelled at him at practice that was the nail in the coffin, it was just a matter of time, but then seeing him not moved to Arizona got a little skeptical on what Benning was doing, then see today bought out good.

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Are you actually friends with Benning? Because how do you really know? I've been seeing this a lot on this board lately, anytime there is a rumor now it's fake news all the time now? Like this is starting to get ridiculous and Benning is the only guy who tells the truth all the time? Again we don't really know if he was being shopped, but if you put the pieces together it really looks like he was, the rumor back then was teams were watching JV for his ice time, magically about 2 weeks before the trade dealine Virtanen was bumped up the lineup even though he never earned it but was rewarded, definitely seems suspicious for the timing and the rumor of ice time. Then there was also a deal in place with Anaheim, but couldn't come to an agreement, again rumors but there are people out there who talk to a lot of people and they do hear things, I'm definitely sure more than anyone on CDC. Benning said Schmidt isn't being moved either, so I guess that won't happen... And if it does, does that mean Benning can't be trusted anymore? 

Regarding Jake and his future here, he sure didn't seem to care much until about the trade deadline when he stepped up his game a bit, he played like he was trying to get moved but majority of his play looked like he really didn't care and took a free paycheck. I always felt when Horvat last year yelled at him at practice that was the nail in the coffin, it was just a matter of time, but then seeing him not moved to Arizona got a little skeptical on what Benning was doing, then see today bought out good.

I don't make crap up. I have a memory. I'm not searching for the quote to mollify you though. He said what he said.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

So much just plain really bad information circles around the NHL - so many 'analysts' and would-be-experts publishing on a limitless internet - that it's no wonder you get so many horrible takes on players.

Was just curiosity-seeking - where all the "one of the NHL's worst contract" comments are coming from....

First thing I read - and I'm not going to link to / create traffic for / encourage anyone to create content like this - but the first article I read was arguing to avoid Ekman-Larson - suggesting alternative, 'better' targets.....one of them being.....Gostisbehere.

Is it really necessary to ask wtf?   An undersized guy, no physicality, left side D - who scored 45% of his pts on the powerplay - doesn't/can't kill penalties, plays with the benefit of tilted ice, has underproduced a few years running - and who took assets to dump his 4.5 million cap hit (to Arizona, ironically) - was allegedly a better option for this team....Not easy, actually, to think of many worse options - particularly for a team that already has a Hughes, and a Rathbone....

These are the 'expert' sources that posters pick up on online - and parrot in threads like this.

No wonder hockey discussion in here can get so futile / annoying / counterproductive / pointless at times.

Ekman Larson - allegedly one of the NHL's 'worst contracts' over the past three years....

98 pts in 193 games over that period - better than .5 ppg defenseman.

363 hits over that time frame.

23, 23, 21 minutes a game...

Principal penalty killer / two-way 5on5 minutes.

Has played with partners - that are not exactly 'inflating' his numbers (ie Lyubushkin = honestly - how many of you have ever heard of him?)

Has played for a General Manager that has made a laughing stock/gongshow of the franchise on a number of fronts = awful deals to take on guys like Stepan, Kessel, ate Datsyuk's contract for a song, blew a first round pick on violations....

Captaining that futile desert ship - must have been torturous at times.

With absurd noise surrounding him - reducing him to one of the league's worst contracts - truly laughable noise....

Wasn't even close to the worst contract on his own team, playing with a one-dimensional float-show like Phil Kessel.

A team that just ate the contracts of Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, and Gostisbehere.

A league that has contracts like Jake Gardiner's, Jeff Skinner!!!, PK Subban, Kyle Okposo, Colin Miller, Frans Nielsen, Matt Murray, Matt Duchene, Adam Henrique, Boychuk, Erik Karlsson, James Neal, Milan Lucic, Brent Seabrook, Tyler Johnson....

And that's just the start / the more obvious to list.....not even near a top 20....

As with any player you sign to term and significant cap - there is inherent risk - but he's still a 40+ pt, 20+ minutes, all situations defenseman....the talk as if he's been awful for three straight years - is baffling to say the least....but that's the nature of internet 'information' surrounding the NHL in this twitter era - so much misleading noise imo.

So well said / put! Some of the info media / some fans use to argue their narrative is astonishing! OEL will be great and his contract is not even close to the worst! 

JB has been aggressive, bold and done very well so far this off season with most likely more trades / signing to come. He def had balls to pull that trade off. Once all the moves are said and done, I hope Jim tells the haters to suck the big brass balls he used to make that trade! 

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

Laurent Broissoit is a local kid who always seem to play well against the Canucks. He’s a UFA who I believe played for 1.5 mill. last season in Winnipeg.

I didn't realize he was a local kid. I wonder if that would matter to him in signing here? 

but could be a good option if we move on from Holtby. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

Been trying to crunch the numbers on next years roster. I'm pretty sure this deal means Holtby has to be gone either via trade or a buyout in the 2nd buyout window (which we can get by going to arbitration with Hawryluk, e.g.). 

Its not a bad thing, in fact getting Garland is awesome. Just don't see how we keep Holtby. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I wonder if we're done adding forwards after this trade, we were rumoured to be interested in Schwartz. 

Would love to add another forward I think we’re one away from being very deep.

I like Schwartz but I’m not sure if we can afford to add another small winger with Hogz and Garland already on the roster.

I’m thinking someone like Saad or a trade with New York for Strome would add more size.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I wonder if we're done adding forwards after this trade, we were rumoured to be interested in Schwartz. 

We still need one more center, so I think that’s the only forward position we’ll look at. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

5 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I'm hoping the rumoured Schmidt trade is for a legit 3C and either a pick or a defensive RD (or we have two of Hamonic, Hakanpaa, Ceci etc lined up to sign as UFA).

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson/Hoglander, Horvat, Garland

Pearson/Hoglander, trade, Podkolzin

Highmore, Dickenson, Motte

OEL, Myers/Hakanpaa

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Myers/Hakanpaa

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

So much just plain really bad information circles around the NHL - so many 'analysts' and would-be-experts publishing on a limitless internet - that it's no wonder you get so many horrible takes on players.

Was just curiosity-seeking - where all the "one of the NHL's worst contract" comments are coming from....

First thing I read - and I'm not going to link to / create traffic for / encourage anyone to create content like this - but the first article I read was arguing to avoid Ekman-Larson - suggesting alternative, 'better' targets.....one of them being.....Gostisbehere.

Is it really necessary to ask wtf?   An undersized guy, no physicality, left side D - who scored 45% of his pts on the powerplay - doesn't/can't kill penalties, plays with the benefit of tilted ice, has underproduced a few years running - and who took assets to dump his 4.5 million cap hit (to Arizona, ironically) - was allegedly a better option for this team....Not easy, actually, to think of many worse options - particularly for a team that already has a Hughes, and a Rathbone....

98 pts in 193 games over that period - better than .5 ppg defenseman.

363 hits over that time frame.

23, 23, 21 minutes a game...

Principal penalty killer / two-way 5on5 minutes.

Has played with partners - that are not exactly 'inflating' his numbers (ie Lyubushkin = honestly - how many of you have ever heard of him?)

Has played for a General Manager that has made a laughing stock/gongshow of the franchise on a number of fronts = awful deals to take on guys like Stepan, Kessel, ate Datsyuk's contract for a song, blew a first round pick on violations....

Captaining that futile desert ship - must have been torturous at times.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1