The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

16 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Thing is, if our core is very good they should make the playoffs.

If they don't make the playoffs, it suggests that our core isn't as good as we like to think it is.

Eh, this isn't a video game. They don't start and finish the year a 74 ranking. This core looks like they could grow into a contender.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Eh, this isn't a video game. They don't start and finish the year a 74 ranking. This core looks like they could grow into a contender.

The first step in becoming a contender for the Stanley Cup is being able to make the playoffs.

If they were to miss the playoffs again this year, I see no reason why we would expect this current core to grow into a contender.

(But they're going to make the playoffs this year.  ::D )

12 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

love this part the most, arguing is top notch as always.

Just watched the zoom call several Canucks hockey insiders and media had with OEL. Lot's of questions from Kuzma and Drance how OEL plans to turn his game around.

Didn't like OEL's body language and have serious doubts that he is the top pairing D-Man Jim spoke about in his press conference.

Love your posts.

Let's keep coming them.

Let’s keep coming them is an interesting take:rolleyes:.

OEL will soon get used to the critical thinkers in the Vancouver media. 
He is going to be just fine. His play on the ice is what matters the most.

• Cheers 4

9 hours ago, appleboy said:

I think it is important to understand that this puts the club in a win now scenario. They now have a very short window before being back into a rebuilding mode. You can't trade away two first and seconds and thirds without depleting your system. Plus Miller and Horvat are UFA's in two seasons. ( which might be part of the rush)

You know what the owners have done before if the playoffs are even a tinny bit possible.  ( they refuse to trade players for assets at the trade deadline allowing them to walk for squat)

Of coarse Miller and Horvat might resign. 

Horvat for sure will re-sign. Miller's on a very good contract, and it's likely he'll demand more in his next one, which is fine. Depending on how things go from here, I can imagine Miller staying here, especially with our big loaded talent. Vancouver looks serious about competing, and I hope they prove the fans how good they really are.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

We still need one more center, so I think that’s the only forward position we’ll look at. 

Benning mentioned that he’s still communicating with Brandon Sutter so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s signed as our fourth line centre.

36 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Let me repeat:  I think the Canucks are going to get into the playoffs this year.

But IF they should miss the playoffs again this year, why do you think we'll make the playoffs next year or the year after with this group?

To me, if the Canucks miss the playoffs this year without any extenuating circumstances, it will show that I, and most everyone else here, have seriously over-rated our core group.  And it should be blown up.

But since the Canucks ARE going to make the playoffs this year, this discussion is really kind of theoretical.  (We hope.)

I understand. In reality other than Vegas their really isn’t much competition in our division. We’d have to suck really bad in order to finish below San Jose, Anaheim and LA. And Seattle’s analytical team is already in rebuild mode. Edmonton has a 40 year old goalie and Calgary just lost its captain. 

We could have probably kept Loui, Roussel and Beagle and still made the playoffs. If Benning can get a legit 4C and two RHD with girth and defensive prowess we can probably challenge Vegas for top spot. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

You couldn't possibly have missed - or intentionally sidestepped the point - more thoroughly.

's my negative sample - but, but, here's my positive example!) is mere distraction though - philosophy - which has little to do with player evaluation in the end.

What has OEL been the past three seasons?  (One of) The worst contract in the NHL?  Seriously, anyone making that claim needs to get real.

I wasn't one who said he was the worst contract in the NHL (nor been been bothered to google who they are)

Long contracts given to players in their 30's rarely pan out like Loui, Lou and the "Messier" ones we signed etc

That is why i have never been a fan of signing overpaid UFA 

Yes it is a big gamble and seeing as he is not on the upside of his career it is a lot of money to gamble with and have him making more than anyone else on the team

He is not and won't be our best player or face of the team for the next 6 yrs,( now had they got the retention down to 6m)

I think he will  be a good addition for 1-2 years anyways where people won't be talking of buying him out or possibly trading him?

I think he will be rejuvenated with a new team and show better than he has in the last 2 years

Curious what some think our cap might be in 2-3 years 

Will a 33 yr old dman making 7 million be good value?

What would we be paying others if we are contending as a top team? (That's just good responsible planning, without hoping on a Lotto 649 win gamble)

Saving for the future is important managing, same as it is for a homeowner etc

I am unsure this is the year for the push

Do we compete for the cup next year, Are the supporters expecting it now?

I like to see more wins and am sure i will enjoy watching the Canucks play next year for the 1st time in a long time

But I have never saw them win a cup and would like to see that even more than just winning more games

It is the 16 wins in the playoffs that would i would enjoy more

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Benning mentioned that he’s still communicating with Brandon Sutter so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s signed as our fourth line centre.

Sutter at 1.5x1 wouldn’t be the end of the world. That’s probably the fall back option if we can’t get anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter at 1.5x1 wouldn’t be the end of the world. That’s probably the fall back option if we can’t get anyone else. 

Sutter is a solid player when healthy. Short term low cost would be fine. 4.25 was too much.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I wasn't one who said he was the worst contract in the NHL (nor been been bothered to google who they are)

Long contracts given to players in their 30's rarely pan out like Loui, Lou and the "Messier" ones we signed etc

Yes it is a big gamble and seeing as he is not on the upside of his career it is a lot of money to gamble with and have him making more than anyone else on the team

He is not and won't be our best player or face of the team for the next 6 yrs,( now had they got the retention down to 6m)

I think he will  be a good addition for 1-2 years anyways where people won't be talking of buying him out or possibly trading him?

I think he will be rejuvenated with a new team and show better than he has in the last 2 years

What would we be paying others if we are contending as a top team? (That's just good responsible planning, without hoping on a Lotto 649 win gamble)

I like to see more wins and am sure i will enjoy watching the Canucks play next year for the 1st time in a long time

But I have never saw them win a cup and would like to see that even more than just winning more games

I'm curious why you think that?  

18 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

you don't push for a year, it's usually a 3-4 year effort, minimum.  It needs to start asap

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Laurent Broissoit is a local kid who always seem to play well against the Canucks. He’s a UFA who I believe played for 1.5 mill. last season in Winnipeg.

Great suggestion. Broissoit would be a good replacement. I might even take him over Holtby contracts aside honestly.

1 hour ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Not even close.  Tampa had Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, Cirelli, Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak with a wicked support cast.  We have Petterson, Horvat, OEL, and maybe Hogz who play the type of all around game you need your core guys to play to contend.  We are about 5 players away.

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's my thought on the long term outlook.

OEL just turned 30, he's a July birthday. So he'll be 35 his entire last season.

Im thinking we should have atleast 4 good years - 30, 31, 32, 33. At that point he'll have 2 years left. If hes still effective for 1 or both years, then great - it's possible. Edler/Hamhuis were good at 34. Suter/Gio are 38/37 & still good.

If not the buyout is 4.18 for the remaining term (1 or 2 years) which saves 3.5M in those years, then 1.54 for the additional 1 or 2 years. So overall not bad, or else there's always using an asset(s) to move the last bit of his deal.

Basically I think we'll get more good years then not, and the buyout situation at the end (worst case) isn't half bad.

I don't know if this has been posted.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ekman-larsson-doesnt-need-no-1-canucks-provide-value/

A part of this article had this to say:

Daniel Sedin, who along with brother Henrik rejoined the organization in June as a special advisor to Benning, told Sportsnet 650 radio that Ekman-Larsson took “full responsibility” for his play the last couple of years and would be better in Vancouver.

“The main thing for me is he’s professional, he’s a leader,” Sedin said. “He’ll be so good with Quinn and (defenceman Jack) Rathbone, I think, teaching them how to be professional. It’s not about him, it’s about the team. He’ll do anything to help the team win and he brings everything you want in a teammate and a leader.”

But it’s doubtful Ekman-Larsson will bring enough on the ice to make everyone believe he is full value for the annual $7.26-million cap charge the Canucks face after the Coyotes agreed to retain $990,000 in salary for each of the next six years.

I'm not so worried about OEL if Sedins think OEL will help.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't know if this has been posted.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ekman-larsson-doesnt-need-no-1-canucks-provide-value/

A part of this article had this to say:

Daniel Sedin, who along with brother Henrik rejoined the organization in June as a special advisor to Benning, told Sportsnet 650 radio that Ekman-Larsson took “full responsibility” for his play the last couple of years and would be better in Vancouver.

“The main thing for me is he’s professional, he’s a leader,” Sedin said. “He’ll be so good with Quinn and (defenceman Jack) Rathbone, I think, teaching them how to be professional. It’s not about him, it’s about the team. He’ll do anything to help the team win and he brings everything you want in a teammate and a leader.”

But it’s doubtful Ekman-Larsson will bring enough on the ice to make everyone believe he is full value for the annual $7.26-million cap charge the Canucks face after the Coyotes agreed to retain $990,000 in salary for each of the next six years.

I'm not so worried about OEL if Sedins think OEL will help.

If OEL can be defensively responsible and provide 40-50 points from the backend. That’s a &^@#ing win in my books. 

• Cheers 3