The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Good for him. I hate that. The interviews were basically like. So “OEL you’ve sucked for a long time now, how do you feel about that.”

Cant wait for him to get her and shut these guys up for a bit anyway 

No kidding… some of those interviews were so awkward.  We’re also so saturated with media and pseudo-media he probably got asked that like 12 times.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Epp is spot on. Glad someone is calling out the BS. Mind you, this negativity is all over sports media. Not just Vancouver. 

Exactly. It’s just more quiet in the desert but it’s there too

• Vintage 2

Envy is the root of a lot of the negativity.

Misplaced concept.   of self is another one" If I made the team I'd be the hardest working player in the history of the game"----- Dude you can't even bend over to tie your shoes so just wtf are you saying and believing?"

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this bothers me a lot, because I don't believe it represents most fans. But our troll media and the people on twitter seem to always be driving the most negative aspects possible. 

Morons are usually the loudest because they are ignorant and don't have the awareness to recognize that they could be wrong.

Unfortunately, in Vancouver, we have a lot of loud morons in the media. 

The morons have all unified under the biased framework that OEL is a declining #6 Dman, paid like a top 2D. 

Sad and pathetic. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

Morons are usually the loudest because they are ignorant and don't have the awareness to recognize that they could be wrong.

Unfortunately, in Vancouver, we have a lot of loud morons in the media. 

The morons have all unified under the biased framework that OEL is a declining #6 Dman, paid like a top 2D. 

Sad and pathetic. 

True. I've read garbage from various outlets regarding the trade. The Hockey News, Bleacher Report, and others. All aping the same narrative. It's so banal and uncreative. 

3 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Personally I wouldn't use the word lazy to describe  Sutter.........great face off and defensive center that played an important role. 

................but he does fall into the "mediocre over the hill" category.    My reference to laziness was exclusivly meant for Lazy-Jake The Ripper.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its the kind of troll click bait that has made me lose respect for him. 

Its also stupid. No one is going to offer sheet him for more than 4.1 mil AAV and give us a 1st for him. If they do we should take it. Anything less and we'd match and probably be in the ballpark anyway.

I can't believe that Friedman said this.  What a joke.  Those stupid Barney costumes and his stupid hair, it was already easy to dislike him, but now...

It wouldn't cause problems anyway.  We would get a better 1st and a 3rd.  Plus we would have that cap space to go sign someone.  In fact it would be great if they offer sheeted Garland. :)

The vibe I got from a couple OEL interviews is that the coyotes asked him to play a more conservative style.  I’m thinking some of the logic in trading for him is that we will give him more latitude on the offensive side of the puck.  The guy has scored 20 a couple times, seems like some of his drop off coincided with the change in coaching in Arizona.  Excited to see him play for the Canucks.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. I've read garbage from various outlets regarding the trade. The Hockey News, Bleacher Report, and others. All aping the same narrative. It's so banal and uncreative. 

Ahhh yes, but numbers (analytics) don’t lie ……

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

OEL averaged more points per game than Ryan Ellis, Seth Jones, Miro Heiskanen, Shayne Gostisbehere, Keith Yandle, and just behind Pietrangelo.  On a crap team where he knew he wasn't wanted.  

All this talk about how he has declined so much?  His offensive points per game in the last 8 years

Incredibly consistent.  He has also been one of the top 20 hitters for defenseman in the last 4 years.  He is only 30.  Alex Edler is 35.  Alec Martinez is 34 and just signed a 3 year 5 million deal. 

I think OEL is our new and improved Edler and I am super pumped about him being on the team.

The media decided a long time ago to make Benning the whipping boy.  He has assembled a very exciting core drafted without a single player in the top 3, despite a lot of losing.  Demko 36th, Boeser 23rd, EP 5th, Hughes 7th, Podkolzin 10, Hoglander 40, Rathbone 95th.  He was left a pile of excrement with old players with NTC's and Brendan Gaunce and Jordan Subban.  He had to try to build a winner around the last years of the Sedins which was very difficult with nothing to trade.  He made some mistakes in FA and trades, but look at all the other GM's and analyze every transaction.  He has now made the Miller, Pearson, Schmidt, and Motte trades.  He now has Highmore, Dickinson, OEL, and Garland.  

I think we are better and deeper than any team in Canada except for maybe Montreal.  I can't wait to see what other additions JB makes and for the season to start.  

I say all of this because I am a "fan" of the team.  I am critical, but not a critic. 

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Personally I wouldn't use the word lazy to describe  Sutter.........great face off and defensive center that played an important role. 

No doubt.  And he's consistently scored goals and some important ones.   I'd have zero issue bringing him back at 2x 2 to add depth. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Ahhh yes, but numbers (analytics) don’t lie ……

Sure they do.  Didn't you know, according to WAR, Alex freaking Steen was the best player in the league for a couple of years? Around when  Crosby was winning cups and Smythe's etc 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Analytics present only part of the picture. Look how the analytics approach worked for Arizona when they hired John Chayka as general manager. 

But what about that fancy card that says OEL is worse than 97% of defenseman?!?!

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1