The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

3 hours ago, LolClarkson said:

The Canucks taking a big contract from the sun belt. This reminds me of Ballard and Booth. Hopefully this isn't the token boat anchor contract on the team. But everyone has them.

Let's give it a season; and all these moves should give Green no more excuses when it comes to personnel.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

This trade really gives us options on our power play. Our second unit might actually be dangerous, and it was a laughing stock last season. 
I would drop Horvat to the 2nd unit, and put OEL on his off side across from Hughes so he can take passes for dangerous one timers.
Horvat can win important faceoffs on the power play while our 1st unit is resting. Garland has great instincts, and gets it to the slot where Bo likes it. 

1st unit:
Boeser - Miller - Pettersson
Hughes - Ekman-Larsson

2nd unit: 
Garland - Horvat - Hoglander
Podkolzin - Rathbone

Edited by Nave
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

For some context, if OEL was a free agent this summer, we would probably be one of the teams interested.

What kind of contract would OEL get if he was on the market today ?

probably not what he is getting as a Canuck but I could see teams offer 4-6yr deals at him from 5-6.5m cap hit maybe if he was a UFA

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is the problem with fans in this market.

There will be people waiting for OEL to have a bad game or a bad stretch to say I told you so.

Its as if confirming their own beliefs about Benning and certain deals are more important than the performance of the team.

Fake fair weather fans that should do themselves a favour and cheer for another team.

This +1000.

Fans in this city criticize the team for "always retooling/rebuilding" and taking too long to transition into being consistent playoff contenders since 7 years have already passed under Benning. 

Then when management actually makes deals like this to make the team better, people complain that we "gave up too much" in terms of picks or how the salary of the player is going to screw us.

Yeah, of course that can be the case sometimes but you have to be willing to risk it in trades. Look at all the top teams and how much they are also paying their top players.

While I do agree with some that GMJB occasionally adds the unnecessary sweetener to deals... whatever. Tough. He got what he thinks needed to be done. This is still the guy who arguably built the most exciting young core for the Canucks ever with 3 straight calder finalists. There is no perfect GM out there.

This isn't some utopia where all these elite players cost less than 3 million and all we need to give up is a 4 round pick. It isn't NHL20. 

This is what I feel like a lot of the fair weather fans think it should be like.

• Cheers 2

I wouldn't be surprised if he got what we're giving him--$7.2M.

His points per game has actually stayed pretty consistent over his career.
His analytics and fancy stats have taken a dive, but the eye test would tell you if that's him or his team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nave said:

His analytics and fancy stats have taken a dive, but the eye test would tell you if that's him or his team. 

What does the eye test say? 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:32 PM, CanucksJay said:

What does the eye test say? 

Well last season he looked pretty uninspired. But in 2019-2020--in the bubble--he looked very inspired and got 4 points in 9 games.
He clearly wasn't happy playing for a team that didn't want him anymore. But the last time he played meaningful games he looked good.
I bet he's going to have a resurgence.

Edited by Nave
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Nave said:

Well last season he looked pretty uninspired. But in 2019-2020--in the bubble--he looked very inspired and got 4 points in 9 games.
He clearly wasn't happy playing for a team that didn't want him anymore. But the last time he played meaningful games he looked good.
I bet he's going to have resurgence.

I don't know much about him but something tells me Benning doesn't make another LE mistake. 

I feel like Benning has done his due diligence. 

Also, I don't think OEL makes a 2 team trade list (a la Ryan Kesler) if he thinks he's lost a step and can't back up his contract 

I fully expect him to be a big contributor next season

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

For some context, if OEL was a free agent this summer, we would probably be one of the teams interested.

What kind of contract would OEL get if he was on the market today ?

He'd probably get $6.5-$7 IMO. And that's after ARZ has been nuking his value for 3 years.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is the problem with fans in this market.

There will be people waiting for OEL to have a bad game or a bad stretch to say I told you so.

Its as if confirming their own beliefs about Benning and certain deals are more important than the performance of the team.

Fake fair weather fans that should do themselves a favour and cheer for another team.

But doesn't that work both ways?

That is, mightn't there be people here who have endorsed Benning and won't change their opinion even if the team continually tanks, simply because it would mean admitting they were wrong?

Confirmation bias is a tricky thing.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Nave said:

exactly, he's easily a $7m dman

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Nave said:

This trade really gives us options on our power play. Our second unit might actually be dangerous, and it was a laughing stock last season. 
I would drop Horvat to the 2nd unit, and put OEL on his off side across from Hughes so he can take passes for dangerous one timers.
Horvat can win important faceoffs on the power play while our 1st unit is resting. Garland has great instincts, and gets it to the slot where Bo likes it. 

1st unit:
Boeser - Miller - Pettersson
Hughes - Ekman-Larsson

2nd unit: 
Garland - Horvat - Hoglander
Podkolzin - Rathbone

Excited to see this roster play; and time for the staff to deliver ?

24 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Then this deal is palatable. Hopefully he will recover his game a little. He made no secret of how he didn't like collecting a check on a losing team

He was still a 40 point dman, among the league leaders in hits and played against the top lines every night.  I know he wasn't playing inspired hockey, but he didn't really let it effect his game.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2