The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed.  Norris calibre OEL at 7 or Hyman at 5.  I think we’re in great shape.

I do like OEL quite a bit, but he's not Norris-calibre anymore. Top 4 for sure and maybe even still top 2, but not Norris, at least not as of the past two years when he didn't receive any Norris votes.

I'm still very excited with this deal though.

• Cheers 1

Glad there is cap retention too. I think this trade is going to pay off for both teams. We added a 15-20goal scorer to help and OEL may have had some “rough” numbers the past couple seasons, but lets just remind everyone HE PLAYED IN F***ING ARIZONA and everyone had rough numbers.

So that's right on the nose for what I said. OEL is a 7m defenceman.

Jim pulled off a good hockey deal today if that's "it" - no prospects, just used-up "people" and a 'late early' pick for Garland who is a great young player and a very, very solid D-man.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Wth Benning. You said you’d consider trading the 9th if it was for a ‘young ‘ player 

was looking forward to actually seeing a Canucks 1st round pick in the draft finally , ugh 

He actually did just that.

And then he admitted he's made a whole bunch of bad mistakes by unloading them for another potentially huge mistake.

And therein lies the gamble - if OEL wilts in his 30's it will be really bad. Or he might find the fountain of youth.

Probably somewhere in the middle.

I'm currently not a fan, but may be by tomorrow.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I have been on these boards since 05 and this is hands down the most excited I have ever been.  JB has redeemed himself IMO.  Hope OEL works out great with a fresh start.  Need him to be the yang to Quinn's yin.

your page says you've only been here since 2006, liar.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DSVII said:

It's short term cap relief disguising long term pain. I would have been fine with one more year of Loui and Roussell.

We've lost the $7ish mil in cap flexibility for the next five years, which is prime in the flat cap era.. Opportunity cost wise, you are banking on OEL in his late thirties outperforming the 9OA pick and whatever Free agents you could have signed with that cap space. 

I don't think this is going to age well. 

The problem in my view is people overthinking it way too much. For whatever reason fans think it is their problem to manage the cap and analyze deals and future what ifs. 
I’m looking forward to seeing the on-ive product. Everything else will be fixed by people well aware of the financial landscape in the NHL and trust me they have thought this through. 

We gave up nothing of real value compared to what we got in return. We moved out 3 players proven to be past their prime and not being able to help the team and one good chance (still just a chance).

We got a great top-9 energy guy and a proven d-man with more upside than anyone we moved out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, b3. said:

So with Beagle gone - Sutter is coming back right?

Hoping so. That would bring this all around perfectly. Get him back cheap and I'm excited about this roster.

• Cheers 2