The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

What?? 

Loui had no idea he would be in that system with par example Green. 

This is on Benning that talked with both coach and Sedins. 

he couldn't know green's system but he would have known desjardins's, and he was equally abysmal during that period.

it's not on benning. he presented an opportunity to loui, loui accepted it and never came anywhere close to delivering on his side of the bargain. 

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, tas said:

he couldn't know green's system but he would have known desjardins's, and he was equally abysmal during that period.

it's not on benning. he presented an opportunity to loui, loui accepted it and never came anywhere close to delivering on his side of the bargain. 

Yip. There is absolutely no excuse for LE's disaster of a time here. It's on him. Period. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. There is absolutely no excuse for LE's disaster of a time here. It's on him. Period. 

Plus, this year is his contract year. He's playing for money. He should be completely ashamed, but apparently he's not. 

You're right, what a disaster. 

And that's not on Benning. 

If he performed anywhere near to his contract year in Boston, no one would be complaining.

But he didn't. 

He's milking it. 

Edit: What this does show is complete lack of professionalism. He should be playing his heart our, period. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Plus, this year is his contract year. He's playing for money. He should be completely ashamed, but apparently he's not. 

You're right, what a disaster. 

And that's not on Benning. 

If he performed anywhere near to his contract year in Boston, no one would be complaining.

But he didn't. 

He's milking it. 

Edit: What this does show is complete lack of professionalism. He should be playing his heart our, period. 

Reminds me of Alexander Semin.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Shame on Benning for expecting LE to actually be productive and repeat his past success. He should have known that Loui would self implode as soon as he got his big pay day. Definitely all on Benning, the coaching staff, the fans and the guy who sells hot dogs outside the arena. How dare these people put any blame on the guy who performed poorly!

Completely agree with this. Especially to blame, is opposing team’s penalty box door operator. 

He knew.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

No, Benning shouldn’t have paid him six mill til he knew Loui was so adaptable as you think.

Totally disagree.

1) He was a UFA and Benning had to pay a premium to get him to come to our crappy team.
2) He had a very strong year prior, so there was nothing to indicate he was going it implode when he arrived.

3) He had previous chemistry with the Sedins.

In my opinion, Benning did everything he needed to and 9 times out of 10, the signing would have been a solid one. Yes, we all knew there was a chance LE could decline partway through the contract, but I don't think anyone would have bet on him forgetting how to play hockey over an offseason.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

No, Benning shouldn’t have paid him six mill til he knew Loui was so adaptable as you think.

You have no idea how free agency works do you?

Loui was absolute s*** for the duration of his time here. They gave him ample opportunity on the top 2 lines to produce, under 2 different coaches and 2 different systems. He played the majority of his time with the Sedins, who made Taylor f'ing Pyatt look like a top 6 player. He fell off a cliff in the span of an offseason, that's on him.

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

As a coach you can't change a player in every way you want. This means that when Benning got him he didn't think it through properly.

So the 6 mill is on Benning. 

As other hefty contracts during a few years while Benning spent all cap while the Canucks were at the bottom. 

I don't call myself biased only because I know more about this situation, beside Petey and Dahlen, than other players that played for the Canucks.

The hate isn't understandable for me.

I thought this was a hockey forum.

Not gossip and $&!#talk forum.

If people talked more hockey they would understand why it went bad for Loui and understood his situation. 

The one thing I can't wrap my head around is why more fans here don't blame Benning for the expensive contract. Can you explain the logical in that? Why?

He is the guy who let players like Loui get 6 mill... 

Your 1st sentence implies Benning has a crystal ball. "Didn't think it through properly" is simply a false statement as you can't predict how a player will be before they come here.

You are one of the most biased people on this board to be honest. It doesn't matter if you call yourself biased or not. You don't just tell people you're a millionaire and magically become a millionaire. That's not how this works. You're biased. lol

So people can't hate on anything on a forum? You're literally hating on haters right now. Should we just ban everyone hating including you? This is hockey talk. We're talking about a hockey player. You just don't like the talk because it's against something you believe in, which goes back to you being biased. Your very response to me shows you being biased since you clearly don't like any discussion that hates on a Swede.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

A good question might be

Does anyone own a LE jersey and will you still wear it?

Pull the number and name off of it or just retire it?

No, just change the name plate to Hoglander, as Nils is using 21 now.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

And how do you suggest the GM of a team do this?

Erik’s Son could’ve signed for 6 MIL anywhere else. Are you suggesting the Canucks give him a PTO BEFORE signing?

At the time, we signed the best UFA on the market.

I don’t understand your logic.

Edited by Me_

17 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

ITT: GM should not get blamed for the awful contracts he signs because no crystal ball.

:sadno::towel::lol:

So then what's your stance on this? Do you think Player Name deserves to be talked about in the manner in which he has?

I'm not meaning to say Benning wouldn't be entirely at fault for things, but there definately is the extra factor of hindsight that we have now that we didn't have during the actual signing. I deem Benning's mistake more out of desperation of wanting to stay competitive more than the contract itself.

Quick Edit: The other thing to consider is how many bad contracts there ended up being the day Player Name was signed: Player Name, Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Okposo, etc. It was clearly a player-driven market at that time.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

ITT: GM should not get blamed for the awful contracts he signs because no crystal ball.

:sadno::towel::lol:

I wonder why you don't criticize Gillis for this then...:lol: Totally biased.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1243747-nhl-free-agency-2012-jason-garrison-signing-will-come-back-to-haunt-the-canucks

"Seems like a great signing, doesn't it?

Well, not so fast.

While there is no denying that Garrison's 16-goal 2011-12 campaign was, indeed, terrific, one has to question whether or not Garrison will ever see that type of success again.

Let's not forget that this past season, Garrison was receiving his feeds from one of the best passing defensemen in the NHL in Brian Campbell, who finished the season with an incredible 49 assists.

Then there's the fact that Garrison's past shows no sign of sustained success.

In fact, in Garrison's 112 career games before 2011-12, he'd only managed to collect 0.23 points per game.

This season, he put up 0.43 points per game.

Seems a little fishy.

Throw in the fact that he was playing in the final year of his deal with Florida, and Garrison seems like the ideal "bust" signing.

What's worse for Vancouver is that they gave him a six-year term on the new deal, meaning if Garrison does indeed flop like so many others who emerge out of nowhere in their contract years, Vancouver will be in serious trouble when it comes to their cap.

That could turn out to be a huge problem when it comes to re-sign the Sedin twins and Alex Burrows.

Canucks fans better hope that this past season was a true breakout campaign for Garrison and not just a flash-in-the-pan campaign."

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

And how do you suggest the GM of a team do this?

Discuss with the coach wich type of player is needed

Then study the players available to see if anyone fits that description.

Loui shouldn’t be a fit because he was used in a different way with the Canucks than in Dallas and Boston.

Is that logical enough?

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Loui shouldn’t be a fit because he was used in a different way with the Canucks than in Dallas and Boston.

Is that logical enough?

Not really…

You don’t think the GM staff and the coaching staff get talk about that on a regular basis?

You’re fishing wood chips bud.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I wonder why you don't criticize Gillis for this then...:lol: Totally biased.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1243747-nhl-free-agency-2012-jason-garrison-signing-will-come-back-to-haunt-the-canucks

"Seems like a great signing, doesn't it?

Well, not so fast.

While there is no denying that Garrison's 16-goal 2011-12 campaign was, indeed, terrific, one has to question whether or not Garrison will ever see that type of success again.

Let's not forget that this past season, Garrison was receiving his feeds from one of the best passing defensemen in the NHL in Brian Campbell, who finished the season with an incredible 49 assists.

Then there's the fact that Garrison's past shows no sign of sustained success.

In fact, in Garrison's 112 career games before 2011-12, he'd only managed to collect 0.23 points per game.

This season, he put up 0.43 points per game.

Seems a little fishy.

Throw in the fact that he was playing in the final year of his deal with Florida, and Garrison seems like the ideal "bust" signing.

What's worse for Vancouver is that they gave him a six-year term on the new deal, meaning if Garrison does indeed flop like so many others who emerge out of nowhere in their contract years, Vancouver will be in serious trouble when it comes to their cap.

That could turn out to be a huge problem when it comes to re-sign the Sedin twins and Alex Burrows.

Canucks fans better hope that this past season was a true breakout campaign for Garrison and not just a flash-in-the-pan campaign."

Curious what this has to do with anything lol?

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Is that logical enough?

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

• Cheers 1