The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Did we really have to trade that 2022 2nd rd pick :(. It might be a super high 2nd rd pick sigh. 

Don't get me wrong tho.. Garland has been amazing 

Garland was probably worth more than a 2nd round pick - he was a legit top line player for Arizona.

Drance broke down the deal as Roussel + 1st for Garland.  Loui + Beagle + 7th for OEL who Arizona were desperately looking to move with ownership unwilling to continue to pay his contract.  The 2nd round pick was to retain on OEL - 6 years is a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I'm not at all worried about that trade.  Garland has shown the effort level that a cup contender needs (despite his size).  If our other guys played with his speed and grit, we'd have a heck of a team right now.  OEL has been fine.  We ditched contracts we needed to lose.  It's all good and will be for years to come.  The problem has been the coaching and the veterans.

• Cheers 1

On 11/20/2021 at 11:07 AM, mll said:

Garland was probably worth more than a 2nd round pick - he was a legit top line player for Arizona.

Drance broke down the deal as Roussel + 1st for Garland.  Loui + Beagle + 7th for OEL who Arizona were desperately looking to move with ownership unwilling to continue to pay his contract.  The 2nd round pick was to retain on OEL - 6 years is a long time.

Yes, Garland was the 1st and one of the desperate Benning moves to secure Canucks going forward. 
So 2 1st traded away when we needed the picks. 
People here thought Gaudette was really good when he had new batteries. Hope Garlands hold for a few seasons more. 

8 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Most expected the Canucks to be a playoff team.  Trading that pick for Garland who helps us now when the core is supposed to be peaking was a shrewd move.  JB hasn't been perfect but this was a good move with the assumption that the players and coaches would do their job.

I can blame JB for a lot of things but this summer's work is not one of them.

Who said the core is peaking now?

All I heard when I joined here is that the core is best when they are over 25.

Has that changed now?

23 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm not at all worried about that trade.  Garland has shown the effort level that a cup contender needs (despite his size).  If our other guys played with his speed and grit, we'd have a heck of a team right now.  OEL has been fine.  We ditched contracts we needed to lose.  It's all good and will be for years to come.  The problem has been the coaching and the veterans.

Yes but how will OEL's contract look long term. Considering the team is unlikely a win now mode and will probably needed a few more years to get it all together will OEL be more of a liability then?

Even the folks in Sportsnet, who liked OEL so far, are now doubting if this was a good move to make since it's another case of the organization's lack of planning and foresight 

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Who said the core is peaking now?

All I heard when I joined here is that the core is best when they are over 25.

Has that changed now?

Umm....I think you're nit-picking here, no?  Over the next few years (i.e. during Garland's contract years), this team is supposed to be hitting their peak years in terms of age and experience together.  There's clearly no peak formation as it seems but, to be fair, I think most thought that the core of this team was good enough to be a solid playoff team over the next few years.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yes but how will OEL's contract look long term. Considering the team is unlikely a win now mode and will probably needed a few more years to get it all together will OEL be more of a liability then?

Even the folks in Sportsnet, who liked OEL so far, are now doubting if this was a good move to make since it's another case of the organization's lack of planning and foresight 

I'm not disagreeing.  It's not like OEL is the Nick Lidstrom that we need but good luck finding those.  OEL is a fairly safe bet for the next 5 years I think though.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:50 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Most expected the Canucks to be a playoff team.  Trading that pick for Garland who helps us now when the core is supposed to be peaking was a shrewd move.  JB hasn't been perfect but this was a good move with the assumption that the players and coaches would do their job.

I can blame JB for a lot of things but this summer's work is not one of them.

Every advanced model and most pundits outside the market picked the Canucks to finish outside the playoffs.

If Benning is basing his decisions on what the  “toxic positive” fans on this board think that is a terrible indictment of his ability.

He is paid to get results, not continually make moves that result in us being at the bottom of the league.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Every advanced model and most pundits outside the market picked the Canucks to finish outside the playoffs.

I can't lay a claim to being a Benning apologist, but I don't recall seeing "most" of these pundits which were placing the Canucks outside of the playoffs at season's end. I'm certain that some of these advanced models were predicting a low result for the Canucks, but all?.

I'm sure that you were looking at much more worthy sources than what I happened upon. For example, I did a quick scan (https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-picks-for-2021-22/c-326685518) and noticed that the Islanders were picked to have a much better fate by all of the pundits than what they are currently displaying, I suppose we should wait until the season is over on this one, but the Canucks fate is set in stone, yes?

If Benning is basing his decisions on what the  “toxic positive” fans on this board think that is a terrible indictment of his ability.

Where did you discover this? I was not aware of Benning paying any attention to these forums (or other fan forums). I hope he has read about how I was displeased with how the Juolevi and Gadjovich situations were handled. And maybe he could do something about the price of beer, and change the warm up music....

Also, it would probably be much better for the team if he based his decisions on the opinions of the "toxic negative" fans. They are far more in touch with reality... on some level.

He is paid to get results, not continually make moves that result in us being at the bottom of the league.

Crap, is that his job? Is he aware that this is in his job description?

Maybe he's confused because he's always getting contradictory orders from the fanbase (or portions thereof) to get high draft picks, but also finish in the playoffs (and win the Cup), while building a team to support the core, and not trade away any picks (because that 7th rounder could be next Datsyuk, or even a mere Hansen). 

Hey, curling is on later today.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
too many werdz
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2

12 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

So funny how Jim hit a "home run" last off-season, but we are still one of the worst teams in the league.

Hitting a home-run when you're down by 8 runs don't mean jack.  Glad y'all can see the light now.

It's still a great trade. The blame is on Coach Ghandi and BB, EP being duds this year. That and loosing what little toughness we had to waivers. Joke of training camp on Ghandi trying to summon the fourth line gods help on roster decisions.