The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Think it depends how good he is defensively because that 4th line really has to be quite safe. If he is, MacEwan and Podkolzin bouldering around could be fun to watch.

Podkolzin is excellent defensively for his age.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, gurn said:

J.B. isn't trying to save his job.

Any bad deals done "to save his job" would just make him unemployable by the rest of the league.

Just like Gillis, after JB is gone from the Canucks I don't see him getting many shots to rejoin the NHL. He is among the worst active GMs in the league, at least by the numbers.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 12

11 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Woooooow!  :-o

I might be in the minority here, but I LOVE this deal.  Garland is one of the more underrated players in the league and should fit in well on that 2nd line.

I know people give OEL a hard time but he’s not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.  He still has a lot of game left and should give the Canucks two solid pairing options even if we end up moving Schmidt.  

More importantly however, the Canucks move all of their dead cap off the books.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Dickinson-Virtanen

Motte-Graovich-Highmore

OEL-Schmidt 
Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Pearson ?

If Benning had been replaced, no chance this deal happens. He essentially traded one year of cap issues for 6. Its a save his job trade clear as day. And probably also shows just how clearly the players and owners are getting sick of losing.

Having said that, this trade is not nealy as bad as I thought it would be. Losing the 9OA was what I always expected the price was going to be to move dead weight. To move 3 bad contracts out and get Garland back suggests to me it is worth it at this point.

My concern comes from the defense though. We do not have even on eguy who could be considered a true defensive dman. So another few moves need to be made.

One of Rathbone or Juolevi will likely be moved now. Hopefully we get full value. Still no one to play with Hughes though.

If this is the first of a chain reaction it will not be a bad deal overall. I am not a fan of Benning (or OEL tbh) but I am witholding judging this trade too harshly until we see how he rounds things out around it. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 4

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can’t complain too much, I have spent two offseasons saying we needed to bite the bullet to make cap space with a move like this…

The added picks just move it more of a question mark that depend on how he spends his newfound wealth of cap space.

If he can swing a long term deal with one or both of our stars right now because of it, that could offset some of the later OEL money as the cap starts rising and inflation making the max deal cheaper.

Watch Garland rip it up and OEL return to form. ALSO WE ARE BACK TO MEETING OUR SWEDISH QUOTA