The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JB is feeling the pressure of having a losing team. Look at Buffalo, you can't let that culture of losing take over no matter what. Picks are all well and good but if you can't create a good team around them, they're useless and they're going into another rebuild now.

JB has balls, give him credit, he's sick of seeing this team lose despite creating a good core and now he's supporting that core with stars.

Hats off to him, love or hate the trade but he's not just going to sit and watch these young guys lose and miss the playoffs over and over again.

The offer still stands, Canucks playoff game when I visit Australia next April :) 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

OEL is basically a 7M defenceman now on our team. Not so bad when you think about it. 

At this point in time he is the best defender in a Canuck uniform, getting paid only 1M of cap space beyond Schmidt, Meyers and Edler’s old contract.

This trade is pretty awesome, especially with the addition of Garland while dumping LE, Rousell and Beagle (that’s about 12M in dead weight Cap space). Beagle was the only one that could play still but way over paid for a 4th liner. 

Hopefully JB can get even more “aggressive” by getting some picks for Holtby and Schmidt. 

Turn Schmidt into Zadorov and 11OA somehow

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can’t complain too much, I have spent two offseasons saying we needed to bite the bullet to make cap space with a move like this…

The added picks just move it more of a question mark that depend on how he spends his newfound wealth of cap space.

If he can swing a long term deal with one or both of our stars right now because of it, that could offset some of the later OEL money as the cap starts rising and inflation making the max deal cheaper.

It’s also dependent on how OEL and Garland do over the years too. 

Hopefully all the new additions we add this off-season pan out. JB can’t afford an L and neither can this core.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We are back to the Gillis era where we are all in or back to a rebuild in two to three years.

The prospect pool right now without the pick is probably better (or atleast on par) with what it was under Gillis.

Rathbone, Pod, Hog just came in on ELCs. Pettersson & Hughes are just starting out their careers, and we've now put ourselves in a position to compete now & going forward.

Garland is legit and he's young. This isn't spending picks to add around 30+ year old Sedins & Luongo, our top players still have plenty of good years - including now Garland. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Arizona Fans are pissed it’s not a bad deal i think you can get out ek contract just on his rep if he’s bad but there’s no way you can have Schmidt Hughes Myers ek in top 5 or demko will ask for a trade 

You’ve clearly run out of stuff to complain about mate. This is gonna upset Demko? Lmao 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, High and Inside said:

This is a dumb trade. We took on 42 million plus whatever we pay Garland. We got rid of 12 million that’s expiring at the end of next year. So straight up salary exchanges we were behind big time. Obviously we get a good player in Garland but is he worth all those picks plus us taking on a terrible contract? I think it’s a bad trade. Just my opinion. 

We got 2 NHL players that can play heavy minutes at a high level for 3 players that have been abysmal for us and would not have played next year. 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We are back to the Gillis era where we are all in or back to a rebuild in two to three years.

Better to have JB at the helm if the team needs to slowly build depth thru the draft.  

that’s be proven better than MG….