The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

With this room we could also probably go long term on Petey or Hughes - which could save us money down the road. 

Opens up a lot of options… and with the cap space you know we aren’t done yet.  

After sitting on it for a few minutes I’m excited for the season - adding OEL, Garland and Dickinson is a pretty awesome way to start the offseason. 

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Can't remember the last time we went into the season expecting our team to be good, but looking at;

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Robertson - Podkolzin

OEL - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic/Savard(?)

Rathbone - Myers

Demko

They should be a good team. And that's so exciting.

Who is Robertson?

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of losing out on possibly Kent Johnson or Mason McTavish but not a bad trade.  OEL is a legit #1 dman and will be for another 3 or 4 years.

Hopefully we can sign Hamonic and Savard.

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Dickinson - Garland

Motte - Graovac - Mackewan

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Joelevi

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Sure you know me so well. 
We rid ourselves of 3 bad contracts for 1 year and take back a bad contract for 6 years and give up a top 10 pick, thats not a win for us,
desperate gm making desperate moves 

Yes I do, but continue to stay mad and kick rocks.  While most us look at this objectively and are pretty happy with it.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

JB actually had some leverage on AZ since they forfeited their first this year and OEL had a limited number of teams he would waive for and this is all he could do?

That is how he got Garland. No way we get him if he had no leverage. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Torts said:

Ohh yeah man. People don’t realize the amount of space buying out Virtanen and trading Holtby gives us. Then we have the Schmidt situation. 

I think Schmidt stays, but I could be wrong. Benning might still want to get a more physical presence on D, or maybe he wants to try and flip to get back into the first round and see who he can pickup in Free Agency.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

So... assuming Schmidt stays and we sign a UFA on the D, we could look something like:

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson/Hoglander Horvat Garland/Podkolzin
Hoglander/Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin/Garland
Motte Sutter Highmore
Bailey

Hughes OEL
Savard Schmidt
Rathbone Myers
OJ

Not necessarily a lot of star power there, but to me, a very solid team.

Would absolutely love to get David Savard.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Can't remember the last time we went into the season expecting our team to be good, but looking at;

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Robertson - Podkolzin

OEL - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic/Savard(?)

Rathbone - Myers

Demko

They should be a good team. And that's so exciting.

5 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Its almost like I could breath a little easier after seeing this trade. 

Our lineup actually looks deep for a change. We all know what Rathbone, Hog, and Pod have the potential to be this year aswell.

This is an exciting time. I truly believe we will be at the top of the Pacific again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This. People have such horrible PTSD from the Loui Eriksson deal that they aren't willing to go one more year with him. 

OEL is definitely an upgrade, but the cap you lose from Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel in just one year is 13 &^@#ING million dollars. You can do so much with that in the 2022 offseason. If Benning does this trade three years ago, he's an absolute God. Doing this trade now is like deciding to have chemotherapy after the cancer is already in remission. You're almost out of the woods, don't go ahead and add more trees. 

Yep.

To be fair, our forward group looks pretty solid now.

But I'm scared for the future. It looks like we just renewed another 6 years of cap hell with OEL's contract. I have faith that OEL can step up and be a legit #1 D for the Canucks, but I don't have faith that he can do it for all 6 years. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Schmidt stays, but I could be wrong. Benning might still want to get a more physical presence on D, or maybe he wants to try and flip to get back into the first round and see who he can pickup in Free Agency.

If he wanted out as reported.... then ship him out.