The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yep.

To be fair, our forward group looks pretty solid now.

But I'm scared for the future. It looks like we just renewed another 6 years of cap hell with OEL's contract. I have faith that OEL can step up and be a legit #1 D for the Canucks, but I don't have faith that he can do it for all 6 years. 

If he plays to Edlers level in year 6 then it's a win. I'm sure he can do that.

• Like 2

Not a fan of this trade although I appreciate the motivation and logic. 

This trade transferred all of the risks to Vancouver. Is Ekman-Larsson going to play well for Van? How much will Garland sign for? This trade is a GAMBLE for Vancouver. 

Ekman- Larsson is not a RD. He came off another bad year. Garland is tiny and may not perform well in the playoffs. Vancouver has arguably overpaid by throwing in the 2nd round draft pick. 

Nonetheless, I still think J.B. is a decent G.M. He is pretty average, not bad and not great. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Had a chance to digest this deal:

Garland is a good top 6 player, his contract will dictate how good this deal turns out to be as he’s an RFA. I like OEL, he will rebound and have 4 good years, last 2 years may not be so good. I like this but wish the 2nd wasn’t included and that Arizona retained 2-2.5million

as Cam Robinson noted on Twitter:

“Vancouver will have one 1st round pick, one 2nd round pick, and one 3rd round pick spread over 2020, 2021, and 2022 drafts. They were 24th in the league this past season.”

this is the part that makes me hesitant, Jim better have another trade to get back some picks, for being a supposed “draft genius” he sure doesn’t like using those picks

X factor will be the staff - if they can make these players win together .

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Schmidt stays, but I could be wrong. Benning might still want to get a more physical presence on D, or maybe he wants to try and flip to get back into the first round and see who he can pickup in Free Agency.

I love the idea of bigger D, but let’s hope scouter Jim finds somebody better than a Gubranson! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yep.

To be fair, our forward group looks pretty solid now.

But I'm scared for the future. It looks like we just renewed another 6 years of cap hell with OEL's contract. I have faith that OEL can step up and be a legit #1 D for the Canucks, but I don't have faith that he can do it for all 6 years. 

Yeah. I really like Garland. This team is instantly better, I just feel like waiting one year and the moves that would be available to make would be even better than the moves that were made right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Maddogy said:

Not a fan of this trade although I appreciate the motivation and logic. 

This trade transferred all of the risks to Vancouver. Is Ekman-Larsson going to play well for Van? How much will Garland sign for? This trade is a GAMBLE for Vancouver. 

Ekman- Larsson is not a RD. He came off another bad year. Garland is tiny and may not perform well in the playoffs. Vancouver has arguably overpaid by throwing in the 2nd round draft pick. 

Nonetheless, I still think J.B. is a decent G.M. He is pretty average, not bad and not great. 

Yeah, win win for the Yotes and all the risks are on the Canucks.  High clean up cost.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

If he wanted out as reported.... then ship him out.

I don't believe for a minute that he does. I think players get discussed this time of year, and media decides to hop on it and try and make as much as they can out of it. Controversy and drama is what brings readers and clicks, and the media in Vancouver is not above misleading readers to draw them in. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$22 million in cap space. If we can trade Schmidt and Holtby and buy out Virtanen we will have over $35 million in cap space. 

Jim is gonna be busy on June 28. Give me some Hakanpaa and Hamonic please. 

Maybe he signs Petey and Quinn to long term deals as well. 

I think trading Schmidt would be a mistake.  He's (imho) far better than what he shown last season due to the amount of tough defensive minutes he got.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is how he got Garland. No way we get him if he had no leverage. 

I am nowhere near as high on Garland as others so that doesn't make this situation better for me but ill try to be open minded. 

Bothers me that JB publicly states that we need players with 'HEFT' and then he targets a 5'10" 165lb winger.  

• Cheers 1