The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 hour ago, austy said:

Do you think oel plays at an 8ml worth at 39? Serious question, are there many d that can do that? 

Do you think OEL is 3 years older than he is?  Do you think Arizona will reneg on their cap retention agreement in the trade? serious questions, are there many posters who can get so much wrong in a post so short?

Arizona will pay about 1.2 million per year for the remaining 6 years left

Arizona effectively retained 7.2 million of cap in this deal - in addition to taking 12 million this season.

Eriksson and Roussel's contracts - which save Arizona a crap load of actual cash vs cap space obviously had a positive (in specific context) in this deal.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I can’t read the thread faster than the pages are appearing. Got up to page 17 and now I just have to weigh in on this.

First, who knew that ol Jimbo had a brass pair on him like THIS. 

I like the deal overall. Sure, one of my favourite things in hockey is following our prospects and having a good stable of young, developing talent is awesome….so seeing the 9th pick go sucks.

Garland could be the key here. JT Miller part 2. Just as some are scratching thier heads about Garland, many did the same about JT. I think the Canucks pro-scouting is underrated.

But the REAL key as to how this deal will go down to me is whether OEL is rejuvenated by getting the hell out of the Arizona trainwreck. If we get 3 good years out of him that would be excellent. I am concerned that his game continues on its slide from peak-OEL. But I’m leaning towards a bit of a rebirth for him on the Canucks, which is known as a haven for Swedish NHL’ers.

So for me, it’s a solid “Good job Jimbo”. Would revise to “Great job Jimbo!!!” if OEL regains some of his prior for the next few years. 30 years old  ain’t too late for this to happen.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm half joking when I say this, but I blame CDC and our toxic media for forcing Benning's hand on this trade by constantly stirring up drama of how the Canucks need to win now, while also hypocritically complaining about how the Canucks have no future. 

Don't get it twisted, I'm know the Aqulinis have probably been pressuring Benning to do something for years, but all whiny noise from fans and the media definitely didn't help.  

On another note, we still need a right-handed defenceman. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I don’t know if OEL would be able to hit 40+ points consistently. Quinn Hughes quarterbacks our first unit PP, so OEL would be pushed to the second unit. And we all know that our first unit stays out for 75% of the power play, so OEL would barely get minutes. Hopefully his 5 on 5 offensive play is decent. 

Seems OEL and Hughes can play either side, so time will tell who gets what ice time and where.

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

The interesting thing is I called OEL the second worst contract in the NHL a few weeks ago on this board and was happy that we missed out on that mistake. 

Then we ended up acquiring it. 

@IBatch@aGENT

I KNOW you guys weren’t fans of OEL a few weeks ago.

Hes been rotting in the desert. I'll reserve judgement till I see him in a Canucks uniform. Anyone would be struggling within that tire fire of a franchise.

Honestly, outside of analytics.. how many Coyotes games have you tuned into where their not playing the Canucks?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Saves them buy out money for a roster player, garland isn't bad. Buying out virtanen and possibly trading holtby, Schmidt could bring back 2nds

A late 1st & a 2nd and a bunch of cap relief so Benning can finish the job

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Our lineup actually looks deep for a change. We all know what Rathbone, Hog, and Pod have the potential to be this year aswell.

This is an exciting time. I truly believe we will be at the top of the Pacific again.

When was the last time we could legit go into a season believing it was a good team?  2014? 

So exciting.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1