The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

18 minutes ago, nzan said:

Most of the reason the farm system is depleted is because of how many of our prospects have turned into nhl stars so quickly

I think saying a lot of our prospects became star players is a bit of an exaggeration.

EP is a budding star. Hughes can be if he learns to play defense. Demko, Hoglander, and Boeser are very good players but not star players. Virtanen is a bust. Juolevi is ok but it took a long time and he isnt even trusted by the coaches yet. Rathbone, not a star but could be good.

Graduating players is "A" reason the farm is getting depleted, its not "THE" main reason though. The reasons our prospect pool is getting thin is because of the bleeding of picks in trades for tweeners over the years, trading decent prospects for lesser players, losing prospects for nothing or for rental trades like Toffoli, and shaky player development and utilization of the ones who are left. 

The Canucks have picked well overall but a lot of those assets have been wasted unfortunately.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

9 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

with this numbers he clearly ISN't one of the best right wingers in the NHL as the poster has claimed.

Well it depends on how you define "one of"... but he was top 15 in p/pg among RWers playing a full season last year... and he did it while driving production as opposed to guys like Zuccarello/Oshie/Voracek (all finished ahead of him in p/pg). 

Your initial post just pejoratively defined him by his size, then you got called out for it, and then you started crying about mods seeing how awful people were being to you. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Down by the River said:

Losing Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel are not "holes" that you're going to have trouble filling... those three would combine for like 82 games this upcoming season... you're also assuming the JB would be the GM at that time. 

That ignores the other holes in the lineup. Without OEL and Garland we are still short two top 4 D, a top 6 winger and a few bottom 6 wingers. To depend on filling those with UFAs is sheer folly especially with JBs IFA record.

Cap space is a valuable commodity but now Seattle has that market cornered. 
I think it is worth giving up an asset or two just to keep JB out of UFA market, an unusual asset to measure but a valuable one when JB is your GM. 

Although this is definitely a deal a GM makes when his job is on the line, I like it in some ways.

1. Frees up some cap to sign Petey and Hughes right away to long contracts

2. Guarantees Podkolzin a decent winger to play with (one of Pearson or Hoggie will probably be on his line or he'll play with Horvat, and Garland will be 3rd line)

3. Ekman-Larsson can eat up monster minutes. I think there's a chance he'll feel rejuvenated getting out of Arizona

4. Garland is underrated and a great stat line last year

5. Some decent cap retention (wish it was 500k higher tho)

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

SOi we got rid of three dead anchor contracts and added a large contract back.

So we added term when we would have had that dead anchor space free after the next season.

What people FAIL to understand is that without those roster spots available our kids don't get to play.

Could you imagine Eriksson being played OVER Podkolzin JUST because of that contract?

I am 50/50 about this deal because I despise the dearth of picks that seem to be leaving this club over the last 3 seasons but at the same time I am not deluded enough to believe this is a bad deadl.

Honestly, if HF Forums is melting down and /wrists than usually it works out well.  

The one thing people failed to take in to consideration is that OEL< checked out of the Arizona locker room 2 seasons ago.  After all of the rumours of him wanting out popped up his play nose dived.  IS that because he's magically unskilled, can't pass shoot or skate anymore?  Or did he just flat out have enough in Arizona and just wanted the hell out?

I would say it's the latter and we get the OEL from 4-5 seasons ago on the team.  I might also say that this possibly opens the door to Edler wanting to stay as well and at a moderate discount.  There is some good blood between the two of them and who knows.

Needless to say, I am very meh about this deal right now but do not believe it is entirely bad as of yet.  We drop short term cap to re-sign some important kid(s) we open up roster spots for our youth to actually play AND possibly get a rejuvinated OEL in the line up.  

And if not...Benning is unemployed in 2 seasons or less.  Win win win

He wouldn’t have signed that 8-year deal, if he “checked out of Arizona”. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

SOi we got rid of three dead anchor contracts and added a large contract back.

So we added term when we would have had that dead anchor space free after the next season.

What people FAIL to understand is that without those roster spots available our kids don't get to play.

Could you imagine Eriksson being played OVER Podkolzin JUST because of that contract?

I am 50/50 about this deal because I despise the dearth of picks that seem to be leaving this club over the last 3 seasons but at the same time I am not deluded enough to believe this is a bad deadl.

Honestly, if HF Forums is melting down and /wrists than usually it works out well.  

The one thing people failed to take in to consideration is that OEL< checked out of the Arizona locker room 2 seasons ago.  After all of the rumours of him wanting out popped up his play nose dived.  IS that because he's magically unskilled, can't pass shoot or skate anymore?  Or did he just flat out have enough in Arizona and just wanted the hell out?

I would say it's the latter and we get the OEL from 4-5 seasons ago on the team.  I might also say that this possibly opens the door to Edler wanting to stay as well and at a moderate discount.  There is some good blood between the two of them and who knows.

Needless to say, I am very meh about this deal right now but do not believe it is entirely bad as of yet.  We drop short term cap to re-sign some important kid(s) we open up roster spots for our youth to actually play AND possibly get a rejuvinated OEL in the line up.  

And if not...Benning is unemployed in 2 seasons or less.  Win win win

You'll get there.

You outlined some things in this very post that points to why this is a good trade. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I think saying a lot of our prospects became star players is a bit of an exaggeration.

EP is a budding star. Hughes can be if he learns to play defense. Demko and Boeser are very good players but not star players. Virtanen is a bust. Juolevi is ok but it took a long time and he isnt even trusted by the coaches yet. Rathbone, not a star but could be good.

Graduating players is "A" reason the farm is getting depleted, its not "THE" main reason though. The reasons our prospect pool is getting thin is because of the bleeding of picks in trades for tweeners over the years, trading decent prospects for lesser players, losing prospects for nothing or for rental trades like Toffoli, and shaky player development and utilization of the ones who are left. 

The Canucks have picked well overall but a lot of those assets have been wasted unfortunately.

Boeser is not far removed from being in the All STAR game. I could see how you would think he's on the decline at the old age of 24 though

• Haha 1