The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That ignores the other holes in the lineup. Without OEL and Garland we are still short two top 4 D, a top 6 winger and a few bottom 6 wingers. To depend on filling those with UFAs is sheer folly especially with JBs IFA record.

Cap space is a valuable commodity but now Seattle has that market cornered. 
I think it is worth giving up an asset or two just to keep JB out of UFA market, an unusual asset to measure but a valuable one when JB is your GM. 

Are we?

Did we somehow trade Schmidt and Myers without me hearing about it? :unsure:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”

Also a pest, ask MacKinnon.

That's beautiful.

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Boeser is not far removed from being in the All STAR game. I could see how you would think he's on the decline at the old age of 24 though

I didnt say he was on the decline you tool. I said he is not a star player yet. Because he isnt. You should watch other teams who actually have star players to determine what one is.

Being in the all star game does not = being a star player. Was John Scott a star player too?

This is a fantastic trade. Shores up a top 2 dman spot and a top line right winger spot, who will actually slot into out second line with Bo.

OEL has been one of the best players on one of the worst teams in the league for a very long time. They've continually failed to surround him with anything that could lead to any kind of success. After 11 years of consistently losing I would probably be calling it in too. I expect we're going to see a resurgence , especially given the opportunity to play with two of the best up and coming young Swedish forwards in the league.

Also, don't be surprised if Edler tests free agent and ends up coming back here on a sweetheart deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So to reiterate

Benning

• Shed some immediate cap space to re-sign an important player
  • Shed 3 roster spots to ensure out kids get to play
  • Managed to get that retention keeping OEL at $7 million a year
  • Might have just found a way to retain Edler with this trade at a discount

And for the detractors

• Benning gave up a top flight pick and if Clarke, MacTavish or Eklund is there it will look very very bad
  • Saddled the team with a potential $7 million anchor if OEL is not rejuvinated and wasn't just mailing it in to leave Arizona
  • Gave up yet ANOTHER 2nd round pick
  • Might have little to no ammo to make any more viable trades to recoup picks this year
  • Might have just signed off on the trade that gets him fired in the next 2 seasons or less

So there.  Try to look at both the positives and negatives people.

in the positive, you missed that JB picked up two players that will immediately help the team, unlike the 3 shipped out and even at least 2 of the picks.. going into our window to truly compete. 

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yawn.

I can tell you’re in one of those moods where you can’t make a competent argument so you’re just making tiny posts like this for upvotes.

Happens pretty often.

If one day you can explain why adding a 30 year old D who plays bottom pairing level QOC and bleeds goals against while being soft and slow and has 6 years left at #1D money is a win to us, feel free to tag me pal. Would love to read it.

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Soooo

Miller Pete Boeser

Hoglander Bo Garland

Pearson Dick Podkolzin

Gadjo Sutter? Motte

OEL Hughes ?

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone Hammonic

So the way I see it Holtby and Schmidt for picks and Virtanen bought out we might have enough money to sign everyone but nothing left over for a top 4 rhd The team in general does look improved though.

• Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Toffoli also isn't Swedish I guess :lol:

Well, Sweden was pretty heavily involved in the 30 Years War, so who knows, maybe Toffoli is from a lost tribe of Swedes trapped far from home in the Italian Alps....

regards,  G.

23 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

garland tough to play against .... no doubt about it. One of the toughest players to play against.

image.png.b936b5941a9c44eff64c67567398db2e.png

Also logs  an average of 17-18 minutes per game. You are such an ignorant 'fan'. What did you say about him 5 minutes ago?

28 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

One of the worst trades in Canucks history.

- only 12% retained of OEL's contract , that's a joke

- 5.10 , 165lbs smallish forward

- our 1st round pick involved

- Roussel, Beagle + Eriksson contracts just one year left, could have wait one more year, but no , Canucks are IMPATIENT and RUSH THINGS

OEL ' albatross contract is the worst thing what could have happened to VAN.

Desperate move from a desperate GM.

Congratulations.

Edited by Dazzle