The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know one thing, we are a much better team today than we were last week. 

We'll see where it all shakes out, but as of right now we really don't have a bad player under contract, depending on how you view Holtby. And he might not be here soon. 

The team is better but they're still stuck in that middle of the road location which doesn't help our future. Just keeping that stagnant location of not building a good prospect pool and not being a contender. 

We should have just suffered another season. But hey we shall see how it plays out. If we don't end up in that middle ground spot and we can somehow progress this team while continuing to absorb gigantic contracts, then I'll be proven wrong and completely happy being wrong. 

This team is obsessed with doing short term band aid fixes to settle into the longevity of mediocrity. Garland still has to get paid out. If we can get him on a good contract then it's a win but nobody knows at this point if that's even possible. Should have just eaten the cap and saved this deal until we got a look at what's available at #9. 

When are we gonna change what gets us into danger every single time? 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't know you said that.

But I'll give you credit anyway.

I would, but I doubt he included getting Garland, and getting rid of all that salary, as well as having Arizona retain money.

• Hydration 3

2 minutes ago, Michael P said:

I can`t for the life of me decide if this trade is a disaster or if Benning is a genius. But if we look at history, i`m guessing the former. And I`ll bet my hairy a## LE scores 50 points

for arizona just to spite us.

You too sir, are a moron. 

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

I'm saying this now so it's recorded.....connor garland will be the best part of this trade . With OEL included,  this will be a huge win , much like the Miller trade.  Nay sayers need to pull their head out of their az

Is that Conor's brother? What parent would give their kids such similar sounding names..  very confusing 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I know some of you have probably made the 9th for Reinhart a somewhat reality in your minds. 

I really feel that Garland is a much better fit for our team than Reinhart would have been. 

While I love this trade. Reino is the perfect complimentary player for Horvat. Garland is the RW version of Pearson. A great middle 6 guy. But Reino is a playmaking legit 60-70 point winger. 2nd line lacks a playmaker. Reino woulda complimented Pearson and Horvat amazingly well. On paper at least. And Reino has scoring upside comparable to Garland. He has multiple 20+ goal seasons under his belt. Reino also can play center. Meaning he can take faceoffs on Horvat's weakside. Not that Reino is a great in the dot but only taking faceoffs on his strong side would boost his numbers and our possession numbers.

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

This is a side to the trade that even Drance was harping on this offseason.

As enticing as it was to many (me included) to just ride out the old contracts, repeating last year’s dismal season is a risk to the overall morale of this team… while I don’t lend a lot of weight to guys flat out wanting out, I’m sure a trade like this will gives the room a boost.  Maybe even helps grease the wheels on the Petey / Hughes contracts.

agree with this.

The other thing is that Bo is going to be pushing 27 next year.  How many more years of letting the team languish while collecting high draft picks are feasible with core players getting to the point of make it or break it time.  In the end maybe OEL wasnt the right move, but in my mind the question is how long do we have to endure years like last year.

• Hydration 3

At least we don't have to watch Roussel and Eriksson play another game for us ever again. 

Losing the 1st round pick stinks though.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's a solid deal for this team imo.

But it's also timely - and sends a very strong, positive message right before the UFA market opens up.

Dougie Hamilton?

:)

Just now, gurn said:

I would, but I doubt he included getting Garland, and getting rid of all that salary, as well as having Arizona retain money.

Oh, I assume he had outlined what it would take...as he boasted. 

Plus, Garland might be the best part of this deal.

• Upvote 2

Good on so many levels. ARI is retaining money on OEL!, plus they took our dead weight. Almost all of it.

Canucks have that #1 Dman and a top 6 guy for Bo's line. Add in Podkolzin and Dickinson and it's lookin' real good. Is Benning done?  I don't think so, I think he tries to trade Schmidt to get back into the 1st Round. We'll see. 

4 minutes ago, Michael P said:

I can`t for the life of me decide if this trade is a disaster or if Benning is a genius. But if we look at history, i`m guessing the former. And I`ll bet my hairy a## LE scores 50 points

for arizona just to spite us.

Not a chance. The Yotes won’t even have more than 5 or 6 EN opportunities next year. 

• Haha 1