The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Just now, Aladeen said:

Watch him score 20 goals 

Could you imagine? lol.

This is a great trade. I don't like losing the two picks, but we've got a top six forward easily in Garland. He was third in scoring on a terrible Coyotes team, while a budget-conscious and rebuilding Coyotes team will probably sink to the bottom of the central next year with the Wild and the Predators. This is a valuable draft pick, but if Edvinsson or Eklund fell to us it's wishful thinking that either of them would be as good as Garland or OEL. OEL is a known product we've also added another great young forward who can play with Hoglander and Horvat. This team is definitely a top playoff team. The trouble for us now is the lack of prospects, which is something Benning can remedy. Good move. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, N7Nucks said:

That would be the single greatest story in the NHL. I'd be surprised if he plays 20 games for them.

Very true but never underestimate a player in a contract year who is strapped for cash. 

We need a defensive defenseman though. We now have 5 offensive defenseman in our regular top 6 D. No toughness, no defensive minded defenders. I expect we aren't finished yet. Of all, think Schmidt is going to be the odd man out.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

At least we don't have to watch Roussel and Eriksson play another game for us ever again. 

Losing the 1st round pick stinks though.

Pay to play. We wanted change and so far we have 4 new faces, 3 of which are proven real good NHL'rs and 1 pretty damn smart defensive coach. All while dumping 4 old guys slowing us down

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Who are you signing with your cap space next year? Are you signing seth jones? People on this board like to pinpoint specific players that fit the mold for our team (aka all the available RHD in the NHL), BUT nhl players are humans and may have no desire at all to play for the canucks. 

Parayko or Boychuck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

John Scott was in the all star game.

Here is a tip. He wasnt a star player.

So, what have we learned? Being in the all star game - which has a requirement to have arep from every team - does not make someone a star player.

McDavid is a star player. Matthews is astar player.

Boeser is a very good player but is not astar player.

Sure he is - and for sure was that year.   Took our crap 23rd overall PP and bumped it up to 9th.   Sucks we haven't seen much better, but that's enough to be one of the better/best RWs PGP over his tenure so far.    Tons of teams would love to have our calder runner up.    For context go back and look at the players back in the 80's that made the all-star games.   BB would have made it on his own steam his rookie year for sure.   EDM had 11 one year and some weren't HHOF types of course.   I don't like the participation ribbons either.   But BB deserved to be there his rookie year absolutely. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Odd. said:

We need a defensive defenseman though. We now have 5 offensive defenseman in our regular top 6 D. No toughness, no defensive minded defenders. I expect we aren't finished yet. Of all, think Schmidt is going to be the odd man out.

The best defense is an offensive defense. 

Transition. Transition. Transition.  

Get that puck and move it out and get your defense up on the play and score the $&!# out of your opponents. 

:emot-parrot:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

When you spew this kind of stuff, "OEL is a #5 D," it's hard to take you seriously.  

Again, if player X plays the fifth most difficult competition and third most time on ice (all of this at ES) and bleeds goals while doing it, how is that anything other than a #5D? 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I like it!

Me to.

Bit sad to lose our 9th but to dump that much cap and fix a couple of positional needs with a pair of really good players.

Hopefully OEL slots in and meshes with our Defense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

sorry but get real

a 1st, 2nd, 7th isn't simply for OEL.

They sent out 12 million of cap in a cap crunch / tight market.

They got a .8 ppg forward.

And they got 7.2 million of retention on OEL.

OEL is roughly/maybe 1/3 of the value in this deal.

So I got to page 49 and only gained two pages of pace so I figured I’d cut to the chase and just ask a trusted poster:

Is Canuck fandom’s public opinion pretty much lining up as a repeat of “OMFG Benning just traded a 1st for a third line winger when he had Brisebois bent over a barrel due to the salary cap!  The sky is falling!”?

I guess people were cool with waiting a year and getting out from under the $12m in wasted cap space only to find out that JT Miller demanded a trade because Canucks’ brass weren’t “actively trying to compete for a Cup in our prime years” which set off a domino effect of Boeser not committing to a long term contract and Horvat informing management that he, much like JT Miller,  was going to move on after his prime years were also wasted…

But hey!  We’ve got Hughes and Petey and some potential top-six scoring draftees that might be NHL caliber in four years when they’re looking back at how their prime years were spent building a Cup contender around!

• Cheers 3