The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

I'm not going to judge one way or the other JB for this trade.  Like a lot of trades, you can't judge it for at least until the last half of next season. 

Its continuing JB's retool deluxe.  Its funny how he has never actually followed the MO that he was marketed as.."building through the draft".   Arizona is now bent on collecting draft picks, weaponizing their cap. Something JB could have done early on too.  Too late for that now. Pushing the problems of a lack of a high end prospect pool down the road.  Stanley Cup or bust! 

The only thing that makes me leery is its a continuation of the managing philosophy of gambling on older veterans, having a second wind....yet again.  And that Jim's past pro-scouting has not given me a ton of confidence.  A long list of them I don't have to list again here. These kinds of deals always need a big old slice of Luck to make them work.  I don't mind JB taking risks, and gambling. But he and fans have to realize that OEL is yet another gamble, a first and second, for a veteran who needs a fresh start. With a big cap hit for years. I really want it to work out.  

Now Garland is another thing. This piece makes up a little of that risk on OEL. And may turn out  to be the most important piece in the deal. Love his game.

Letting LE, Rousell, and Beagle, naturally run their contracts out, standing pat and preparing to load up the following season instead still seems like it would have been the safer choice.  Filling other needs next season with cheaper FA.  Jim still hasn't solved the issue of moving money out to pay Hughes and Petey, as this deal is wash in that respect.  But I applaud Jim's courage to pull something like this.  If it works, and I hope it does, he deserves all the accolades he will get.

Another half glass full aspect is that other players will be attracted to play here, or re-sign, if it looks like we are filling back the holes from the start last season, the gut punch that JT lamented about after losing Marky,Tanev and Toffoli.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

FFS.....totally NOT WORTH IT.....OEL...past his prime....sure they got rid of 3 dead salaries for one big one!! and losing the 9 pick!!!! FRACK!!! #FIREBENNING....another bone head move

Come on Fred.

Wait, sorry .

Wrong guy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StiffStick33 said:

Went from being excited for the draft to being absolutely PUMPED for our season opener with that top 9/D pairings

I think this was a very important point. We all react with disappointment not to see the pick tonight but I would much rather be excited for the whole freaking season!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

The first 2-3 years this trade Will seen okay. After that not so sure. Definitely did not want OEL. I’d rather have Loui for 2 more years. OEL contract going to turn into Loui’s. Ugh 

He’s way more buyout friendly whereas Loui was buyout proof.  There’s some risk mitigation there.

• Like 1