The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 hours ago, warrchief said:

I am extremely excited for this deal, I think OEL will flourish with a new system and coach. Garland will look beside Horvat

Garland will definitely look beside Horvat.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, BPA said:

Dougie Hamilton?

:)

not for me - I want a hard to play against, hard minutes defenseman that won't cost anywhere near Hamilton.

I also didn't feel we had the right guy to play with him, but with OEL perhaps I'd need to rethink that part, but for me, the priority is, if not OEL with Hughes, the right partner for Hughes and I don't see Hamilton being that guy (and we don't need a #1 pp quarterback, either).

I think with Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, OEL and Schmidt (as well as Myers) - the Canucks have puck movers....

MILLER PETTERSSON BOESER

HOGLANDER HORVAT GARLAND

PEARSON DICKINSON PODKOLZIN

MOTTE ??? ??? 

OEL SCHMIDT

HUGHES ??? 

JUOLEVI MYERS

DEMKO

???

We should sign a RHD like Hamonic for two years to wait for Woo to be ready, if he's ever good enough to play in the NHL. Jurmo will probably play in the AHL at some point, I guess he tops out as a middle-pairing guy. We've got Juolevi, who has some untapped potential. I don't think our team can continue to stock up high draft picks, collect prospectsa and hope for the team to just get carried by the kids. You can't just have a bunch of kids on your team, this isn't Pittsburgh in 2006 the league has changed. If you want to win, you need a mix of vets and players just reaching their primes or well before it. Demko, Rathbone, Hughes, Garland, Hoglander, Pettersson, Boeser and Dickinson have yet to reach their prime. We didn't have the defensive prospects to fill in that defense with homegrown players so we went out and traded for them instead.

Think about this realistically: 

We traded a first rounder this year and a second next year to get rid of $12 million in dead weight while brining in a contract that has a ton of term left on it. OEL has shown that he's a fairly durable player so he can probably play well like Edler until he's 35 or 36. The cap will be higher and we'll probably gain some prospects in 2022, 2023 and 2024 that can replace the veterans that Benning has put in place. Like Cheveldayoff in Winnipeg and Bergevin in Montreal, I see now that Benning will be here long haul if this team makes the playoff next year. Although a new GM would be nice, I'd rather the team win and if we get some hits on some future picks the team will stay competitive. 

Be positive folks

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Would everyone be okay with an opening roster of something like this? Trade Schmidt and Holtby, bring in a cheap back-up goalie, bring in a couple right-sided defensemen for depth ----- maybe a better trade (but cap space is limited).

image.png.da065b53d69f01107ebb98e74f60eccc.png

Does anyone that is excited about this now, remember being excited about LE being signed?

I wasn't then and i am not now

Hopefully OEL doesn't score in our own net and be the next LE 2.0 where fans are always saying buy out for years to come

Arizona is relieved to be out from that outrageous contract and not worry about signing Garland

This is not a Pat Quinn type move to make the team better

We bought high once again, and with little in draft picks for awhile, where will the talented cheap players come from?

38 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Hey, no explanation still. Just more deflects.

One of us also admits when they’re wrong - Like I did on Motte (also the only thing I’ve been wrong about which is why you’re going back to it even though I admitted I was wrong on it)

The other one just keeps on going. 

You're operating under the delusion that I have some kind of responsibility or onus to 'explain' myself to you or answer to your straw nonsense.

If you weren't starting from utter knee-jerk absurdities - calling the guy a third pairing defenseman, slow, soft, etc - I might bother to 'explain' why I don't 'hate' him like I allegedly do Subban (another absurdity - I have never suggested, implied or anything resembling expressed "hate" for Subban).

So - there's a second response when I said I wasn't going to bother- but now I'm truly done. 

If you want to understand my take on OEL you'll have to read the many posts I've made regarding him (including an overdone rumour thread from last year).

Edited by oldnews

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not for me - I want a hard to play against, hard minutes defenseman that won't cost anywhere near Hamilton.

I also didn't feel we had the right guy to play with him, but with OEL perhaps I'd need to rethink that part, but for me, the priority is, if not OEL with Hughes, the right partner for Hughes and I don't see Hamilton being that guy (and we don't need a #1 pp quarterback, either).

I think with Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, OEL and Schmidt (as well as Myers) - the Canucks have puck movers....

Schmidt back to Washington for Dillon?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

This Garland kid seems like a real beauty.  Adding him and Dickinson plus Podkolzin really rounds out the top 9.

Moving out Beagle also opens up options for 4C… personally, I’d like a super discounted Sutter but I’m excited to see what happens.

Entirely new third line + top pairing D with some shrewd moves. 

IN: Garland, OEL, Pod, Dickinson

OUT: Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Edler

OEL still has a positive value, if not for his limited trade list.

Garland, Dickinson, and Pod complement the roster: speed, skill, feisty, forechecking, and hard to play against. 

9OA would have been an impact player down the road but this trade + Dickinson opens the window to compete for this team right off the bat. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3