The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Garland is a great pickup. Canucks now have a legit top six in Miller, EP, Boeser, Garland, Bo, and Hogs. I assume Hogs can also play LW?

Third line is now legit in Pearson, JD, and Podz.

Still need to work on the fourth line but given the lack of CAP JB should stay within the lines finally haha

The forward group was poor last year and that hurt the team defence. With a better forward group and Demko in his second full season, I expect a better overall system (Shaw), which should help the defense.

Defense is now OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, Schmidt, Juolevi, and Myers. They still need add another piece. I think the should keep Schmidt...tell him to suck it up and that he only gets traded when his value improves haha
OEL is a risk but hopefully he regains his love for the game over the next two years

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

A lot of people haven't looked at the Coyotes roster, nor do they really understand analytics. It shows.

This isn't Arizona.

Hope this helps.

Lol.  Big cope energy.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The whining seems to be informed by the stats weasels that have a hardon to bash whatever Benning does. I say ignore the slide rule geeks and enjoy the fact that the team is going to be better. Benning ain’t done yet. 

JB had to make the team better for self preservation! He also had to do it for the good of the team, can't just have the team tread water for another year, it's not good for the young guys! He clears the bad contracts, brings in 2 good players, Seth Jones signed for $9.5M, so OEL is over $2M less, what else was there out there that would have allowed him to clear the contracts?! He'll now make another couple of deals, clear some more cap, sign EP40 and Hughes, and then add some more pieces, something like that. This really had to happen.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Shocking the exact posters that I thought would whine about this trade have showed up to whine. 

We got rid of the 3 contracts and “useless” players they whined about having and brought back 2 good pieces for them. What more do you want for “useless trash?”

I think that’s a shortsighted victory though. Sure, we got rid of three (self-imposed) bad contracts, but they were going to expire at the end of this season anyways. Now we get to worry about an aging defenseman past his prime on the books until 2027.

I would’ve rather focused on signing Petey/Huggy and went all-in next summer when our cap is freed up and  without having to give up 9th overall.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Xur said:

Nope. What we did is get a an absolute stud. One of the best dmen in the league. Added a beauty of a grinder. Made us ready to compete. And dropped a pile of garbage contracts and freed up spots and cap. All for a projected 2nd line winger who may or may not be bust and no one will know for years.

Are you a time traveller from 5 years ago?

• Haha 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

I think that’s a shortsighted victory though. Sure, we got rid of three (self-imposed) bad contracts, but they were going to expire at the end of this season anyways. Now we get to worry about an aging defenseman past his prime on the books until 2027.

I would’ve rather focused on signing Petey/Huggy and went all-in next summer when our cap is freed up and  without having to give up 9th overall.

40 point dman who is not as bad defensively as people on here cry ad nauseam. And a stud in Garland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Does anyone that is excited about this now, remember being excited about LE being signed?

I wasn't then and i am not now

Hopefully OEL doesn't score in our own net and be the next LE 2.0 where fans are always saying buy out for years to come

Arizona is relieved to be out from that outrageous contract and not worry about signing Garland

This is not a Pat Quinn type move to make the team better

We bought high once again, and with little in draft picks for awhile, where will the talented cheap players come from?

Not excited about LE signing but I was excited about the trade for JT Miller. 

Canucks are relieved to dump three contracts and are happy to pick up a young talented winger and a skilled defender. I think that this was a great trade for our Canucks.

Time will tell who’s right. 

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

This is a great trade for the next few years. After year 3 we will see who won this trade

Benning himself said we’re aiming to be competitive in two years. So why sell off 9th overall to be a little bit better right now?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

40 point dman who is not as bad defensively as people on here cry ad nauseam. And a stud in Garland. 

A 9th overall lines up better with when our window to compete is open. And it’s not right now.

Just going to weigh in that for me this is a game changer in  a good way. 

Cleans up all the dead weight in one deal.  Adds a solid number 1D and up and coming top 6 fwd.

Eriksson is gone. MG. that is freaking amazing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1