The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

He’s probably p*ssed……he thought he could sit around next season and collect his paycheque ….now he may actually have to lace up the skates.

Might be too fried to even realize what happened….

A87A9CB7-3F81-4237-B1B1-F89D50FEE819.png

Edited by Me_
Just now, EmilyM said:

I think we have different definitions of “long run” because that OEL contract doesn’t look like it’s going to help us an iota in the long run.

Didn’t say that, but OEL at 7 M at 35 6 years vs Edler at 35 this year is a calculated risk, much better than signing LE to 6x6 at 30.  Personally I would’ve let the cap shed off naturally and taken another down season next but respect JB getting out of his cap troubles and adding 2 legit players for a 9OA.  He can now move Schmidt if he wants to without his back against the cap

And building a winner is more than the draft, we’ve been needing D for years and BPA does not always fill holes in the team.  A GM needs to use all the tools in his arsenal to build a winner

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

As long as you keep ignoring evidence that hurts your ego and preconceived opinions, sure, you're batting 100.

Hope this helps. You're welcome.

That’s just mean…you tell him what pitch is coming and even slow toss it to him and all he can manage is batting 100?

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

All Canuck fans who don’t like the trade have to understand this one simple point:

Selecting 9thOA, wasn’t going to ‘make or break’ this team. 

Calm the &^@# down. 

We got rid of some really bad contracts which are worth their weight in cap space and we got a reclamation top line Dman and a solid upcoming top 6 or at worse top 9 forward. 

We’re up, not down. 

Gotta wonder to if OEL actually will appreciate  playing in a place where people love the game-ice hockey- he plays,rather than in a place were people don't really care about the sport.

It might just inspire him.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
Just now, Ilunga said:

Gotta wonder to if OEL actually will appreciate  playing in a place where people love the game-ice hockey- he plays,rather than in a place were people don't really care about the sport.

It might just inspire him.

It's really strange in that he specifically requested to be here in Vancouver.

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think this is shortsighted to make a fatalistic judgement on this hours after this trade.

Plus the 9th wasn't used as a dump, Garland is a legit 1b winger, based on who was left I like this deal even more now.

I really wanted Ecklund, Edvinsson, Kent, Hughes or Mctavish, so them being gone softened the blow 

• Hydration 3
21 minutes ago, J-Strap said:

Werent these the same players we had this past season when the Nucks sh!t themselves?

Were they the reason for it or was it missing solid depth players like Dickinson, Garland etc..? 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
Just now, Dazzle said:

What's the point? You and I both know you'll gloss over the inconvenient examples.

You're welcome.

Sounds like you're just backtracking on a comment made that you know you're wrong about.  Oh well, it happens.

Just remember, I'm never wrong ;)

[You know what goes here]

• RoughGame 3
4 minutes ago, AV. said:

Even so, we're paying a lot for mentorship, therefore.  Mentorship didn't do anything when we signed Beagle and the Bums to 4x3 contracts.  Not sure what a few seasons from 2012-2015 will do to help Pettersson out.  If you believe that makes a difference, all props to you.  Can't say I agree, however.

I'm not sure what conversation you're having or with who

• Hydration 1
Just now, AllWeatherFan said:

I'm not sure what conversation you're having or with who

The difference between him and Edler isn't going to be night and day.  That's the point.

Whatever Edler or Markstrom provided for Petey won't be any different with Ekman-Larsson.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Connor garland is a pretty good player we would be lucky if our  9th ever turned out to be as good

He’s the real hero and centerpiece to this deal.  NHL.com lists it as OEL traded to the Canucks but Garland is the one that should be getting more attention.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's really strange in that he specifically requested to be here in Vancouver.

If it was me I would love to ply my trade in a place where that trade was appreciated rather than in a place that was indifferent to it.

Plus Vancouver always ranks in the top few cities in the world to live.

• Hydration 1

I’m still reading the thread and I didn’t watch the draft past 9th pick yet. That said with how it worked out up until that point I don’t think we lost anything of significant need in the draft. Only left wing, center and goalies were available by the 9th teams pick. After the top ten (and even within) with covid it’s a really big crapshoot. Only other D in the top 20 projected players was Carson Lambos. We have no need for another center or winger atm and can always pickup a goalie in the later rounds. So that has to factor in, but I’m still processing whether I like the trade overall or not.

• Hydration 1
55 minutes ago, AV. said:

A lot of people haven't watched OEL, nor have they consulted the analytics.  It shows.

This isn't 2015.

Hope this helps.

39383A94-6B79-4A60-A869-592FDDFBCB01.jpeg

• Haha 3