The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

There is no way the expectation of this teams isn't going to the 2nd round next year.  We have a legit top 9 forward and top 4 D now, and opened up a ton of money to keep improving.

Benning's own words not mine ... He said 2 years. If he thinks the team isn't ready to compete now, as he said, why make this move? 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Bring Guddy back for cheap?

For sure. $1M for one year as the 6-7 defenseman. Sure he may not be a top 4 defenseman but he’s a player that others avoid like the plague when it comes to physical play. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

When this first broke i absolutely hated it.  Now, post draft, i'm actually pretty happy with it.

Zona took Guenther at 9th - Watched a lot of minutes of him this year and I see a lot of things I didn't like. He does have good upside for sure, but also higher bust potential i think. I didn't feel he would add too much to our core that couldn't be acquired on the open market.  Also unlikely to contribute for 2 years at least.  I would say there's only a 15% chance that he turns into a better player than Garland, but that's just my opinion of course. Garland is an absolute class player now ! 

Would have been a little more gutted if we had missed, Johnson, McTavish, Hughes or Clarke who I had felt might be on board if someone had taken a goalie or made a reach - but as it REALLY happy with this trade.

Absolutely loved OEL when he was younger. I've seen him frustrate the Sedins and Kes many times in his prime - those who say he's a liability in his own end are not telling the full story there. I haven't seen a lot of him the past 2 years - but he isn't anywhere near as bad as some people are making out. Not an 8M player anymore - but were not paying that right ;) 

I could have lived with waiting out the bad contracts for one more year, but look what not supporting the core this year did as we saw a huge regression. Was that a big contributing factor to our losing season - who knows for sure, but its a good theory. I'm all for having a winning culture ! 

I guess the plan is we have a 3 year window to see what happens now - gonna be exciting to see ! 

Good way to look at it. I’m still not a fan of this trade for reasons ad nauseum, but I have no choice but to support this team and hope it somehow works out.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Benning's own words not mine ... He said 2 years. If he thinks the team isn't ready to compete now, as he said, why make this move? 

What was the exact quote? I know the whiners like to twist his words to fit the story.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

If he wants a payday good for him be nice to have him on a reasonable contract to mentor

His ‘reasonable’ is going to be our ‘laughable’ 

Edler can walk. He was useless this last season.

I love him, but I love the team’s chance of success more. 

Bye Felicia/Edler. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

If u put this trade in trade proposals,you’d get laughed out of cdc lol

hahaha I know like this is one of those completely unrealistic trades that you'd never see besides there.  I don't think I remember a trade that was this big and ground breaking for the Canucks in a long, long time.

99 pages before I get in on the action... Let's see how this trade pans out before we all freak out!?

Wonder what kind of contract is a comparable for Garland? He is 2 years away from UFA status I think? Arb. rights this off season, will be curious to see what kind of contract he gets.

My personal opinion on the trade is, to wait and see. It looks like a bit of a panic move, but time will tell and if OEL can regain most of his old form then this trade will look better as it also will if Garland can be a RW for Horvat's line to permanently keep Pearson on the 3rd line and PK duties.

We don't have the greatest picks this draft or next so I guess the team is hoping we can do some FA shopping next off season to fill some holes we will no longer be able to draft most likely as we don't have any early round picks other than tomorrow's 2nd rounder

2 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Watch Beagle Eriksson Rousell turn their careers around and light it up in Arizona , 

Or ........

they hire Willie Desjardins half way through the season as a replacement coach to see the full on tank through to the end.

All Arizona needs now is to grab Megna

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I like this trade.

To me this is 5 years for OEL not 6. LE, Beagle and Roussel where all here for one more season now we replace them and get OEL and Garland this season instead. Garland isn't going to sign for 4.74 mill so the Canucks also gain cap space as well. They are paying OEL 7.26 mill but also takes a spot on the roster who can play 20-21 mins. If the Canucks were to acquire a different dman it would cost them caps space. So if you pay a different dman 6mill that means OEL real cost is 1.26 mill. 

For all those asking who is going to play Defense on the blue line the answer is OEL. I think OEL is better defensively than most people give him credit for he just hasn't been with a good enough team and Demko will be the best goalie he has played in front of since hitting his prime. 

The Canucks second unit PP just got a major up grade as well. Both with OEL on the back end and Garland on forward. 

Garland Is the Key to this deal IMHO, and makes losing the 9th OAP possible. He is 25 years old, he is a goal scoring winger who has shown to put up .65 pts per game in the past 2 seasons. 

All in all this is a trade that they could make they gain cap space this year to sign Hughes and EP and they take on cap space in years they have room for it. JB biggest issue was he had little cap movement this year because of those dead weight contract but had tons of it next year and years to come. Boeser is the only contract that really matters next season to get done and and then Miller and Horvat the season after. 

image.gif.ff7c89149a1c574fd4f0ba90a441237e.gif

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

What was the exact quote? I know the whiners like to twist his words to fit the story.

“Our core players, they still need to mature a little bit yet. I think in two years time, I think we're gonna be real competitive and have a chance to compete for the Cup,” he said. “But we have to keep building, keep adding players to our group and our young core players have to continue to grow and get better.”

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-gm-jim-benning-provides-excuses-not-accountability-3519799