The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That's not good, why should our problems be confused with other teams, it' s  the old " if he jumps from the bridge will you do the same" logic or lack there of. I always thought Ericksson and Schmidt were players dragged along by their team mates. George McPhee i have a lot of respect for, Boston is a good organisation and yet didnt want to resign Ericksson. Both teams are IMO better managed than Vcr. I have no idea about Garland he might well be the saving grace for JB. I can't recall seeing him play but all indications are he's a difference maker, neither LE or Schmidt were IMO difference makers

Full credit to you and a few others if you were against the signing at the time, seriously. I was among the many who were pleased with it. I was wrong. Our problems shouldn’t be confused with anybody else’s, just admit that every team has some misses.

With few exceptions UFA signings always go to the highest bidder, that’s the very nature of UFAs. The outliers are the guys who’ve made their money and want to go to a winner or a certain city. Everybody else is overpaid relative to their worth. You are right too that Boston didn’t want to go that high to keep him but remember this - they tried desperately to trade him at the deadline and couldn’t get what they asked. What happened to the old tried and true “the GM lost our second leading scorer and got nothing for him”?

• Cheers 2

This from a Coyote STH  LOL

JMT
9 hours ago
As a Coyote STM I am thrilled OEL is gone. As captain he didn't lead his team, didn't stick up for his teammates, and was the first one off the ice during any altercation. He is the personification of SOFT. He coughed up the puck, and was beaten badly by anyone with moderate speed. The coyotes played their best hockey when he was out with an injury. As soon as he came back, the eam tanked. He will be remembered as the guy who cost us Garland to just get rid of him.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting, especially considering OEL, in the Coyotes 9 playoff bubble games, led their team in hits, and TOI.  He was pretty much their best player in those 9 games.  

We are lucky to have such a great player, and for his age 30-35 years too!  Such a great trade by Benning to bring OEL.  Huge upgrade on Schmidt.  That guy sucked old smelly socks.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

OEL is way better player then you are talking??  2019 -20  playoffs he was there best player?

How would you play in a organization that keeps spinning there wheels? Hard to attract good players????

OEL,  stats show any NHL team would like?  NEXT SEASON GP 75-- G 10 --PTS  40    no problem....

OEL, 6'2, 200 lbs -- stats say a lot???????? How many D men avg 40 points????

2020-21 -- GP 46 --  PTS 24  --- heading for 48 points last year????

2019-20 -- GP 66 - G 9 -- PTS  30  pace around  37 - 40  in  82 games

2018-19 --GP81 --G 14 --PTS  44

2017-16 - GP 82 - G 14 - PTS  42  

LAST 4 YRS LOOKS GOOD TO ME?? HOW MANY TEAM WOULD LOVE A 40 POINT D MAN?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting, especially considering OEL, in the Coyotes 9 playoff bubble games, led their team in hits, and TOI.  He was pretty much their best player in those 9 games.  

We are lucky to have such a great player, and for his age 30-35 years too!  Such a great trade by Benning to bring OEL.  Huge upgrade on Schmidt.  That guy sucked old smelly socks.  

Yeah, whether it was an off year for Schmidt or what, not too impressed with what he did for his price tag. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Will OEL wear jersey #23 ? I think OEL will wear #23...

Oh for sure he will.  And for those who haven’t kept up with Edler leaving, they will be saying, “Edler looks amazing!  Why didn’t he play this good before?  It’s like he’s 30 again!”

• Cheers 1

On 8/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Was looking at some numbers, OEL's total career stats;

- 23:26 average TOI

- 0.50 PPG (41 pts)

Pretty damn impressive for an entire career.

Outside of Hughes I don't think we've had a 40 point caliber defenseman since Edler's peak in 2011-12, 10 year ago. Now we could have 2 defenseman at that level.

And this is with a team that has this kind of record:

image.png.52f64517a90f1a2ee9a70bfb4ffcc3e7.png

I've forgotten just how good Phoenix was for two years, and the rest has largely been bad. Can you imagine missing the playoffs 7 seasons in a row? Or missing 8 playoffs in 9 seasons?

Arizona has been Buffalo bad. In hindsight, Arizona REALISTICALLY should've started rebuilding after 2014-2015.

But in that awful year.... a 23 year old OEL did this: A freaking defenseman had more points than anyone else.

image.png.84422ac4e7c0ec0e7045b4d4ce835e5f.png

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And this is with a team that has this kind of record:

image.png.52f64517a90f1a2ee9a70bfb4ffcc3e7.png

I've forgotten just how good Phoenix was for two years, and the rest has largely been bad. Can you imagine missing the playoffs 7 seasons in a row? Or missing 8 playoffs in 9 seasons?

Arizona has been Buffalo bad.

I’m not sure what you talking about. 
we only got through first round in playoff once since the final. 

On 8/9/2021 at 3:46 AM, Alflives said:

A lot of the Benning guys said that Schmidt was an amazing signing.

I would agree if Benning ever got someone like Shea Theodore. The guy that inflated Schmidts statistic… 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Schmidt wasn't a signing. It was a trade. And to say that it wasn't an amazing trade at the time is being dishonest.

it was a total steal to get Nate for a 3rd. No one knew it would be such a bad fit for him. WPG likely gets more out of him. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’m not sure what you talking about. 
we only got through first round in playoff once since the final. 

A lot of the Benning guys said that Schmidt was an amazing signing.

I would agree if Benning ever got someone like Shea Theodore. The guy that inflated Schmidts statistic… 

To be honest I’d never heard of Schmidt before we got him.  Then, after I saw him play, and learned of his 20 game PED suspension, I thought he was a bad pick up.  Glad he’s gone and replaced by a really good player, who doesn’t need PEDs, to play well.  

Just now, Alflives said:

To be honest I’d never heard of Schmidt before we got him.  Then, after I saw him play, and learned of his 20 game PED suspension, I thought he was a bad pick up.  Glad he’s gone and replaced by a really good player, who doesn’t need PEDs, to play well.  

To be fair, Schmidt denied the use of PEDs, but he still got suspended anyway.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27687452/knights-schmidt-seeking-revision-ped-testing

"No one in the world can say that they don't care that people think they're a cheater," Schmidt told ESPN after a Knights preseason game last week.

"If I'm the last guy it ever happens to, I'm OK with that."

It was also notable for the pushback it received from the Golden Knights, who emphatically stood by their player and signed him to a six-year contract extension, and from Schmidt himself, who released a detailed statement vehemently denying PED use. Among the memorable defenses: an expert testifying that the substance in Schmidt's system was at levels so minuscule that it was "the equivalent of a pinch of salt in an Olympic-sized swimming pool."

Schmidt also had a decent season prior to the trade

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just thought back then why Benning didn’t lure Theodore. Theodore is amazing. Exactly what we need at RHD. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

I just thought back then why Benning didn’t lure Theodore. Theodore is amazing. Exactly what we need at RHD. 

Schmidt is a schmuck.  He’s a proven cheater, and I’m glad he’s gone.  OEL is the far superior player.  It’s not even close.,

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1