The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

To be fair, Schmidt denied the use of PEDs, but he still got suspended anyway.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27687452/knights-schmidt-seeking-revision-ped-testing

"No one in the world can say that they don't care that people think they're a cheater," Schmidt told ESPN after a Knights preseason game last week.

"If I'm the last guy it ever happens to, I'm OK with that."

It was also notable for the pushback it received from the Golden Knights, who emphatically stood by their player and signed him to a six-year contract extension, and from Schmidt himself, who released a detailed statement vehemently denying PED use. Among the memorable defenses: an expert testifying that the substance in Schmidt's system was at levels so minuscule that it was "the equivalent of a pinch of salt in an Olympic-sized swimming pool."

Schmidt also had a decent season prior to the trade

I didn’t even know about the PED. 

you look really good in a paperbag….

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he is now. It wasn't clear pre-Vegas what he would become. 

If you should gamble  sometimes it’s the boys from home that’s worth it, or the small guys…
Virtanen was an acceptable gambling. A pity he wasn’t up to it. 
Theodore should have been among the first in his draft just because where he’s from.

Local boys attract more.

Edited by Timråfan

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, go back and check what I said back then you might realise something about logic :bigblush:

"Logic" is out of reach for you. The guy blindly defending Dahlen, even accusing others of lying to save face, because you want to save Dahlen's face.:rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.8f489c7ea6b209a99fd9c2df97bc1f4b.png

A pair of writers for Sharks blog Fear the Fin, including Canucks writer Lachlan Irvine, caught up with Dahlen after his first game with the San Jose Barracuda. In that interview, however, Dahlen denied requesting a trade, which just raises further questions. Dahlen’s agent, J.P. Barry, confirmed that he did request a trade, so why did Dahlen deny it?

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jonathan-dahlen-denies-demanding-trade-dials-in-on-development-2228145

Different players and agents have their own reasons why they do things,” said Benning, suggesting he didn’t really know Dahlen’s specific reasons. That in itself is troubling, but then he continued.

“I find young players now, sometimes they don’t want to pay their dues in development time, they just want to be given an NHL opportunity right off the start,” he said. “We just felt that there was some development left in his game before he’s ready to be given an NHL opportunity and we felt he wasn’t there yet and I guess that’s kind of where the discrepancy on what they thought and what we thought where he was happened.”

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

"Logic" is out of reach for you. The guy blindly defending Dahlen, even accusing others of lying to save face, because you want to save Dahlen's face.:rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.8f489c7ea6b209a99fd9c2df97bc1f4b.png

A pair of writers for Sharks blog Fear the Fin, including Canucks writer Lachlan Irvine, caught up with Dahlen after his first game with the San Jose Barracuda. In that interview, however, Dahlen denied requesting a trade, which just raises further questions. Dahlen’s agent, J.P. Barry, confirmed that he did request a trade, so why did Dahlen deny it?

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jonathan-dahlen-denies-demanding-trade-dials-in-on-development-2228145

Different players and agents have their own reasons why they do things,” said Benning, suggesting he didn’t really know Dahlen’s specific reasons. That in itself is troubling, but then he continued.

“I find young players now, sometimes they don’t want to pay their dues in development time, they just want to be given an NHL opportunity right off the start,” he said. “We just felt that there was some development left in his game before he’s ready to be given an NHL opportunity and we felt he wasn’t there yet and I guess that’s kind of where the discrepancy on what they thought and what we thought where he was happened.”

So you like to troll others? What’s new? 

20 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If you should gamble  sometimes it’s the boys from home that’s worth it, or the small guys…
Virtanen was an acceptable gambling. A pity he wasn’t up to it. 
Theodore should have been among the first in his draft just because where he’s from.

Local boys attract more.

thats not really a best player available approach though. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats not really a best player available approach though. 

It’s hard to know beforehand isn’t it? 
Regarding home grown, size, creativity and so on… It takes a few years before it pan out. 

So what is the best player approach? 

23 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

It’s hard to know beforehand isn’t it? 
Regarding home grown, size, creativity and so on… It takes a few years before it pan out. 

So what is the best player approach? 

BPA? you can usually see it from the various scouting groups on who the consensus top talent is. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, most of the time. You have to realize "consensus" can mean +/- a couple of players for any spot. Just look at this years draft, consensus had us with a shot at McTavish but he went quite a bit higher, and we were not in the running for Clarke but he went at 8. But both were in everyone's top 10.

Even the much whined about Juolevi-Tkachuk saga, they were not ranked that far apart in the top 10. 

So getting this back around to OEL. I'm totally fine with using this years 9th to get OEL and Garland. Home run use of the 9th oa imo. Garland has a chance to be worth the 9th on his own for the next few years, and I really like what OEL has the potential to bring. Shedding that dead cap was nice too.

I personally saw too much risk and not enough benefit in picking Guenther at 9th, vs the benefit of the OEL deal. 

That's what I absolutely hate in these discussions. The same group of people out to 'prove' something are just blatantly ignoring this fact. Juolevi isn't a bad defenseman. He was just injured so much that he didn't turn out to be the best pick in hindsight.

Of course, we COULDA drafted Sergachev or Chychrun, but there were enough question marks on them to make them be drafted later. Why else were they drafted well after Juolevi?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Why else were they drafted well after Juolevi?

bingo. 

I also think Benning was looking at culture issues. Tkatchup has shown he isn't ranking high on that quality. 

I do think OEL has a lot more left in the tank, and is motivated. Garland looks like a little spark plug. Just looking at the makeup of the team now its really starting to fill up with players that seem properly motivated to me. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, most of the time. You have to realize "consensus" can mean +/- a couple of players for any spot. Just look at this years draft, consensus had us with a shot at McTavish but he went quite a bit higher, and we were not in the running for Clarke but he went at 8. But both were in everyone's top 10.

Even the much whined about Juolevi-Tkachuk saga, they were not ranked that far apart in the top 10. 

So getting this back around to OEL. I'm totally fine with using this years 9th to get OEL and Garland. Home run use of the 9th oa imo. Garland has a chance to be worth the 9th on his own for the next few years, and I really like what OEL has the potential to bring. Shedding that dead cap was nice too.

I personally saw too much risk and not enough benefit in picking Guenther at 9th, vs the benefit of the OEL deal. 

The OEL Garland was nearly a must if we were to compete this season. So no brainer in that trade…
Now we’re back on track. 

The consensusbit needs a lot to work to discuss so I have to delay or postpone that .

Edited by Timråfan