The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

On 8/22/2021 at 11:51 AM, bbllpp said:

The guys carried Arizona for years and can see how a change of scenery will make a huge difference 

I agree with others.....I'm guessing he's been giddy all summer to have a second career with Vancouver.  He could play first line but he doesn't need to.  That's what's super cool.

• Cheers 1

OEL should bond well with the likes of Petterson and Hoglander.

What's exciting about this new team is that it has the potential to be greater than the sum of it's parts.

With the addition of character guys like Podz, Dickenson, and Garland,  and the return of Sutter, this could be a championship team... 

with no more underperforming players like Virtanen and Erickson in the lineup, there should be big improvement in team moral and positivity...

It's too bad that they let Tanev go, though...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If OEL gets hurt, who will fill in for him on the top shut down line?

Will Rathbone win the spot, or will Juolevi?

Hughes   Hamonic 

Rathbone   Myers/ Poolman      (My guess is it will be Rathbone due to his skating, but Juolevi could surprise this year...)

Juolevi    Poolman/ Myers

7 hours ago, Spotted owl said:

Hughes   Hamonic 

Rathbone   Myers/ Poolman      (My guess is it will be Rathbone due to his skating, but Juolevi could surprise this year...)

Honestly, I think OEL is probably the #4 guy when it comes to shutting down the opposition. I'd have Hamonic, Myers, and Poolman probably all above him.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I think OEL is probably the #4 guy when it comes to shutting down the opposition. I'd have Hamonic, Myers, and Poolman probably all above him.

Those three RSD guys will not be out together though.  OEL will be the #1 LSD used fir shutdown minutes.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Those three RSD guys will not be out together though.  OEL will be the #1 LSD used fir shutdown minutes.  

Agreed. I'm actually interested to see how Hughes and Poolman look together (assuming we hopefully see them tried in preseason). He's a better skater than Hamonic, which could mesh well with Hughes, and that would allow us to play Hamonic alongside OEL.

OEL, Hamonic

Hughes, Poolman

Juolevi, Myers

Hunt, Schenn

And if not, we can always fall back on Hughes-Hamonic as a pair.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. I'm actually interested to see how Hughes and Poolman look together (assuming we hopefully see them tried in preseason). He's a better skater than Hamonic, which could mesh well with Hughes, and that would allow us to play Hamonic alongside OEL.

OEL, Hamonic

Hughes, Poolman

Juolevi, Myers

Hunt, Schenn

And if not, we can always fall back on Hughes-Hamonic as a pair.

I like these pairs the best if Poolman can provide what Tanev did for Hughes.

Although I could see Green pairing Myers with OEL. And I wouldn’t count out Rathbone beating out Juolevi.

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi Poolman

• Cheers 2

On 7/29/2021 at 8:18 AM, gurn said:

I think the offense has been upgraded enough to run 2 almost equal power plays.

PP 1

Petey Boeser

Horvat and Poldkozin (Front of the net)

Hughes

PP 2

Hoglander at the net, left side

Garland on the right

Miller on the middle

OEL and Myers/ Pearson

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Suppose you're right. I never really think about who plays which side.

16 hours ago, Spotted owl said:

Hughes   Hamonic 

Well, I guess it depends on how it all plays out. OEL tends to be fairly resilient, but if we do need to cover for him I don't see Rathbone getting in unless Juolevi isn't really working out, just due to waiver issues. If that IS the case, then we can leave Rathbone up and then trade OJ once OEL comes back. 

More likely though, we could bring up any of Hunt, Bowey or Brisebois. All should be at least somewhat adequate for a short-term solution.

23 hours ago, kloubek said:

Well, I guess it depends on how it all plays out. OEL tends to be fairly resilient, but if we do need to cover for him I don't see Rathbone getting in unless Juolevi isn't really working out, just due to waiver issues. If that IS the case, then we can leave Rathbone up and then trade OJ once OEL comes back. 

More likely though, we could bring up any of Hunt, Bowey or Brisebois. All should be at least somewhat adequate for a short-term solution.

Rathbone is here to stay, it might give OJ a chnace

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Rathbone is here to stay, it might give OJ a chnace

Not really sure what to make of this post. With Hughes and OEL on the left side, that only leaves one more spot available. If Rathbone is "here to stay" (and therefore taking up the last spot), how does that give OJ a chance?

I suppose an alternative would be to move Hughes to the right side (he does shoot left after all), but now we would have a glut of quality RD's, and the Poolman sits out which I highly doubt is something management will want to see.

Don't get me wrong - I believe Rathbone is going to be a regular NHL player... perhaps even a pretty darn good one. But given his waiver status, if he's going to be inserted into the opening lineup, you can rest assured Juolevi will be traded.

If OEL gets hurt, and is out for a lengthy period of time, they may go with the something like this:

Poolman  Hamonic   (top shut down pair)

Hughes   Schenn

Rathbone/Juolevi   Myers.

But it would be nice to see one of Juolevi or Rathbone step up and fill that spot as a shut down guy this year...

Let's see what these two young guys got...

Hunt is likely not the answer as a shut down guy.

Maybe Brisbois or someone like Burroughs or Keeper will need to step up if Juolevi and Rathbone are not ready...

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Not really sure what to make of this post. With Hughes and OEL on the left side, that only leaves one more spot available. If Rathbone is "here to stay" (and therefore taking up the last spot), how does that give OJ a chance?

I suppose an alternative would be to move Hughes to the right side (he does shoot left after all), but now we would have a glut of quality RD's, and the Poolman sits out which I highly doubt is something management will want to see.

Don't get me wrong - I believe Rathbone is going to be a regular NHL player... perhaps even a pretty darn good one. But given his waiver status, if he's going to be inserted into the opening lineup, you can rest assured Juolevi will be traded.

I don't like Juolevis chnace :( Rathbone is ahead of OJ  .... IMO

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't like Juolevis chnace :( Rathbone is ahead of OJ  .... IMO

Bone has elite upside, but he’s going to need to run a PP, and play big minutes to get to that level.  Likely, he’s getting those important development minutes in Abbotsford.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bone has elite upside, but he’s going to need to run a PP, and play big minutes to get to that level.  Likely, he’s getting those important development minutes in Abbotsford.  

I'd think the PP time goes  to Hughes and OEL with Boeser on the other point. I'm sure Rathbone  will be used  in the practice. You ice the team most likely to win with and JR is ahead of OJ. I have no idea what they're going to do with OJ. Frankly OJ, JV and McC don't look good on JB scouting CV

Edited by Fred65

This Canucks need Juolevi to step us this year and be a strong defensive player.

We need a strong, defensive player right now on the left side.

If Juolevi comes into camp faster and stronger, he will get the spot.

Rathbone is incredibly good and ready to go, but we already have Hughes and OEL.

Rathbone could marinate in AHL and fill in if Hughes gets hurt.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2