The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

13 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

The panic button sure was pushed too soon on OEL and Poolman. OEL looks to be playing like he did in his prime. Poolman has been a key signing and showing to be just as calm and poised as Taven in his defensive play. I am not being a homer when I evaluate that : OEL is equal to Edler in his prime right now, and Poolman is showing to be just as steady defensively as Taven ever was. 

The posts regarding Poolman on CDC were dealing with the fact that some fans felt like Jim Benning was too generous in terms of the money given to Poolman. Other defenseman avaiable in free agency could have signed for less money than Poolman gets. To sum it up : it has nothing to do with Poolman's game.

In regards to OEL the skepticism was fully justified because of :

1. his stats over the last 3 seasons; take a look at the stats - numbers are facts !- and as such free from bias.

2. even OEL acknowledged that the last 3 seasons haven't gone as he expected and that he wants to get back to the performance during his prime

3. the Sedins explicitly stated after the OEL signing that they expect more from OEL than he has shown over the last 3 seasons.

4. we have to consider that the last few games were pre-season games, I think we have to wait until 20+ regular season games are played before making an assessment on OEL

1-4 have nothing to do with a "panic button". From my perspective it was and still is skepticism if he can regain his strength / game he has shown during his prime with the Yotes.

21 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The posts regarding Poolman on CDC were dealing with the fact that some fans felt like Jim Benning was too generous in terms of the money given to Poolman. Other defenseman avaiable in free agency could have signed for less money than Poolman gets. To sum it up : it has nothing to do with Poolman's game.

In regards to OEL the skepticism was fully justified because of :

1. his stats over the last 3 seasons; take a look at the stats - numbers are facts !- and as such free from bias.

2. even OEL acknowledged that the last 3 seasons haven't gone as he expected and that he wants to get back to the performance during his prime

3. the Sedins explicitly stated after the OEL signing that they expect more from OEL than he has shown over the last 3 seasons.

4. we have to consider that the last few games were pre-season games, I think we have to wait until 20+ regular season games are played before making an assessment on OEL

1-4 have nothing to do with a "panic button". From my perspective it was and still is skepticism if he can regain his strength / game he has shown during his prime with the Yotes.

OEL at 30 yrs old is better then Edler in prime..Come on OEL is a solid D man put up over 38 points for Vancouver.

look at this last 4 season and negative talk on him…Definitely at top 2 D man..

2020-21 GP 46——PTS 24 — pace over 400 points

2019–20 GP 66 __ PTS 30

2018-19 GP 81—-PTS 44

2017–18 GP 82— PTS 42 

Poolman another guy that will show all these negative fans how good he is…

solid big body, defensive D Man, 20– 22 mins 

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

OEL at 30 yrs old is better then Edler in prime..Come on OEL is a solid D man put up over 38 points for Vancouver.

2020-21 GP 46——PTS 24 — pace over 40 points

2019–20 GP 66 __ PTS 30

2018-19 GP 81—-PTS 44

2017–18 GP 82— PTS 42 

20 minutes ago, wildcam said:

2020-21 GP 46——PTS 24 — pace over 400 points

2019–20 GP 66 __ PTS 30

2018-19 GP 81—-PTS 44

2017–18 GP 82— PTS 42 

That's a lot of points! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 11:24 PM, Maddogy said:

OEL played like a young Alex Edler tonight. He is so far worth the cap hit.

He has more bite to his game than Edler does. Certainly Edler could hit like a truck and had a hard shot, but OEL likes to muck it up and has a far more accurate shot.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

OEL has been a big suprise, just a massive upgrade over Edler. Whats impressive is how efficient he is. He's not a great skater like Hughes, but you can see he KNOWS where to go with the puck getting it out of the zone, and when he gets caught, he seems to recover more often than not than Edler. Edler the last few seasons, when its a turnover, he struggles to recover. Even in the offensive zone, OEL just knows how to find a clean lane to put the puck on net with little effort and is very decisive

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I've noticed this for sure. I've said it before, but his ability to get shots through reminds me of Salo.

If only we had a player that is highly skilled at tipping pucks in from the top of the crease…

**cough**Gadjovich**cough**

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If only we had a player that is highly skilled at tipping pucks in from the top of the crease…

**cough**Gadjovich**cough**

I liked Gadjovichs potential regretfully he's run head on into JB need for his own survival along with TG disdain for rookies. Interesting to note JG has not made the line up yet in S Jose.With the current success S Jose is enjoyingI wonder if they will try to waive him to the AHL and will Vcr grab him back LOL

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2021 at 1:35 PM, -AJ- said:

I've noticed this for sure. I've said it before, but his ability to get shots through reminds me of Salo.

I love the irony that we finally have a #23 that can get shots through from the point instead of being a supreme shin basher from the point...i've been dreaming of that kind of 23 for a long time lol.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I liked Gadjovichs potential regretfully he's run head on into JB need for his own survival along with TG disdain for rookies. Interesting to note JG has not made the line up yet in S Jose.With the current success S Jose is enjoyingI wonder if they will try to waive him to the AHL and will Vcr grab him back LOL

From what I remember reading Aidan McDonough is good at tipping the puck in front of the net too.       

I am really enjoying what OEL has brought to the table, on and off the ice so far since we acquired him. Calm composure, leadership, and accurate shots on goal, and more!

His presence is allowing for our other defensemen to work on their own game and skillset. He looks rejuvenated in our lineup compared to footage from the last few Coyote seasons. 

Maybe our own Swedish House Mafia have brought back the OEL of the past into our lineup. Agents Hank and Dank doing stealth work for us? ::DB)

Check out his mic'd up session during the home opener:

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I have been so impressed with OEL to this point.  He is very mobile, smart, physical and clearly a leader.  When we get Hamonic in, if he is in good shape, the d will look pretty good.

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Poolman

Burroughs

That's a solid top 5 but we need to add a lhd to allow Rathbone time in Abbotsford. Hunt won't cut it either.

• Cheers 1