The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

The goal for this off-season was to acquire personnel who can play a defensive game.

We had no problems scoring goals. We needed defensemen who can actually plan defense

Only way OEL can help the team is if he can play well defensively. And play more of a shutdown role. Based on the past 2 years he cannot. 

We're gonna see very quickly if he can adapt his game to fit our needs. If not Canucks fans are gonna be crying for 6 more years.

23 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

The goal for this off-season was to acquire personnel who can play a defensive game.

We had no problems scoring goals. We needed defensemen who can actually plan defense

Only way OEL can help the team is if he can play well defensively. And play more of a shutdown role. Based on the past 2 years he cannot. 

We're gonna see very quickly if he can adapt his game to fit our needs. If not Canucks fans are gonna be crying for 6 more years.

image.gif.9aaf9d852beb87c71e07d2566e6c9166.gif

31 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

We had no problems scoring goals in 2019-20, we did struggle with offense last season due to lack of depth in the forward lines. Virtanen and Gaudette took a big step back and Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson were blackholes offensively. Bringing in Conor Garland solidifies our top 6. Hoglander should be better next season and we also get the addition of Podkolzin. I think this team can really do some damage offensively next year. Preferably would want another decent scoring center for between Podkolzin and Pearson to add some depth scoring.

Ideally:

Millter - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Scoring Center - Podkolzin (checking line with more scoring upside)

Highmore - Dickinson - Motte (checking and defensive heavy line, may end up with more minutes than the "3rd line")

Defense:

Hughes - RHD (via trade or UFA)

OEL - Myers

Rathbone/Juolevi - Hamonic?

I see Schmidt being moved to recoup some draft picks that we have lost in the cap dump trade yesterday. At the same time, it gives the team more cap flexibility to re-sign Pettersson, Hughes, Dickinson and Garland.

Demko

Holtby?/cheap 1 year UFA?

This is actually a solid line up if we can fill in the holes with the right personnels.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

He could probably sell that and buy a 1 bedroom condo in DT Vancouver. Housing market here is nuts.

Phoenix too  .... heres a quote from last month's Norada:

When the June median sales price is reported it could be a year-over-year gain of 31.15%. Phoenix-area home prices are forecasted to continue to rise at a brisk pace for quite some time.

The media is in top form again, proven so by once again a series of top notch questions that 

of course exemplify the genuine curiosity of the fanbase. 

OEL: Yeah happy to be here finally been wanting to come here since last year.

Vancouver Media: TELL US WHY YOU WONT SUCK THIS YEAR!

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Phoenix too  .... heres a quote from last month's Norada:

When the June median sales price is reported it could be a year-over-year gain of 31.15%. Phoenix-area home prices are forecasted to continue to rise at a brisk pace for quite some time.

No wonder why Eddie Lack chose to be a realestate agent at Phoenix as his post hockey career.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Do you even know of whom we speak?????

OEL:                 769 games and 1344 hits .... 1.75 hits per game

c.f. these even less physical D by your standards 

Chara:             1608 games and 2330 hits (1.45 per game)

Hedman:          816 games, 879 hits (1.08 per game)

Ohlund:             909 games, 640 hits (0.70 per game)

Jovanovski:  1128 games and 656 hits  (0.58 per game)

OEL is almost in Shea Weber's class (not quite) at 1038 games with 2212 hits (2.13 per game) ... but there is still time.

Wolfgang Durst has no interest in details that go against his deluded sense of reality. He is only interested in smearing people by hook or by crook.

11 minutes ago, Googlie said:

OEL is almost in Shea Weber's class (not quite) at 1038 games with 2212 hits (2.13 per game) ... but there is still time.

What's your source for stats? I'm getting difference numbers through hockey-reference. 

Stats via hockey reference only show hit stats from 2007-08 onwards:

Jovo had 544 hits from 2007-08 onwards, which is 544 hits in 387 games at the end of his career.

Chara: 1897 hits in 998 games (1.90 per game) - only aged 30+ for this duration

Hedman: 877 hits in 816 games (1.07 per game) - entire career

Ohlund: 413 hits in 274 games (1.51 per game) - aged 31+ for this duration

Also, I would add that there are other factors to consider when it comes to hitting. Hitting is often inversely proportional to puck possession (though metrics do suggest OEL is okay at puck posession). There's also the question of how hard the hits are.

That said, I would think it somewhat dishonest to claim that OEL isn't at all physical, but also inaccurate to claim he's a bigger physical presence than those like Chara, Hedman, Ohlund, and Jovo.

For some more context, OEL has 201 hits (29th, among defensemen) in 112 games over the last two years (1.79 per game). Edler had 188 hits (42nd) over 111 games (1.69 per game). Adam Larsson was 10th with 278 hits and did it in 105 games (2.65), Pionk was 5th with 302 hits in 125 games (2.42) and 1st was Radko Gudas with 414 hits in 117 games (3.54 per game).

OEL definitely plays a physical game, but I'm not sure how punishing his hitting is.

I did a look into OEL hits on Youtube and came across a few:

From 5 years ago:

Seems to like banging guys against the boards.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yeah, I kept seeing him say that OEL was soft as butter and went to check his hits and was genuinely confused. 

Maybe he doesn't hit as hard as some other guys, but the sheer number of hits he dishes out seem to indicate that he's anything but "soft".

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

What's your source for stats? I'm getting difference numbers through hockey-reference. 

Stats via hockey reference only show hit stats from 2007-08 onwards:

Jovo had 544 hits from 2007-08 onwards, which is 544 hits in 387 games at the end of his career.

Chara: 1897 hits in 998 games (1.90 per game) - only aged 30+ for this duration

Hedman: 877 hits in 816 games (1.07 per game) - entire career

Ohlund: 413 hits in 274 games (1.51 per game) - aged 31+ for this duration

Also, I would add that there are other factors to consider when it comes to hitting. Hitting is often inversely proportional to puck possession (though metrics do suggest OEL is okay at puck posession). There's also the question of how hard the hits are.

That said, I would think it somewhat dishonest to claim that OEL isn't at all physical, but also inaccurate to claim he's a bigger physical presence than those like Chara, Hedman, Ohlund, and Jovo.

For some more context, OEL has 201 hits (29th, among defensemen) in 112 games over the last two years (1.79 per game). Edler had 188 hits (42nd) over 111 games (1.69 per game). Adam Larsson was 10th with 278 hits and did it in 105 games (2.65), Pionk was 5th with 302 hits in 125 games (2.42) and 1st was Radko Gudas with 414 hits in 117 games (3.54 per game).

OEL definitely plays a physical game, but I'm not sure how punishing his hitting is.

I did a look into OEL hits on Youtube and came across a few:

From 5 years ago:

Seems to like banging guys against the boards.

RWO.gif

Edited by Dazzle

20 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

any more predictions, I mean what will the price of bitcoin will look like in 2026?, what will the price of Amazon look like in 2026?. Obviously you think you can read the future. So I expect you to provide me with some answers. 

I definitely can, but I haven't decided if I wanted to screw you over financially or not. I'll get back to you with my decision. 

• Haha 1