Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I think Pacioretti is a good example

Maybe Tavares, however he is only 30 now after 3 years in TO

I don't see Oshie or Pavelski slumping before moving to their new teams

none have gone through a 3 year slump

Pacioretti had one bad year in Montreal, then similar numbers his first year in Vegas, then back to his old self

but I think the preassure was similar

Tavares too, I guess.

Oshie had the same numbers fro 2 years for and aft

You keep moving the goal post. You are now critiquing these players by their point totals to justify if they were in a slump or not before being traded. Using that logic OEL hasn't been in a slump either. His point totals have been quite steady overall. He is roughly a .5 point per a game player with one standout season 6 years ago.

Clearly we know OEL hasn't been playing his best hockey. He himself has said as much since being traded. But to just say those other players don't qualify because of points isn't a fair arguinhg point at all. There is way more to hockey then points. All of those players were obviously trending down before the trade, and have seen a resurgence since being traded.

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

You keep changing you question and get schooled in hockey history. Your have been answered just admit you did not think about your question before posting. OEL has only fallen short on defending (not by much) his points have been pretty much the same his whole career.

Two things with all the players I listed (big proof of 30+ production matching career production) and why they continued to succeed into their 30s: Elite skating and hockey IQ. They had one or two at very high level. OEL has both, not as elite as some, but high in both. 

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You keep moving the goal post. You are now critiquing these players by their point totals to justify if they were in a slump or not before being traded. Using that logic OEL hasn't been in a slump either. His point totals have been quite steady overall. He is roughly a .5 point per a game player with one standout season 6 years ago.

Clearly we know OEL hasn't been playing his best hockey. He himself has said as much since being traded. But to just say those other players don't qualify because of points isn't a fair arguinhg point at all. There is way more to hockey then points. All of those players were obviously trending down before the trade, and have seen a resurgence since being traded.

@lmm

tenor.gif

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lmm said:

Taylor Hall, after which trade?

Seguin and Wheeler are interesting, as neither were as old as OEL and both left Boston and went to teams that have only had 2 good playoff runs during their combined 18 years of service

Seguin scored 6/13 playoff goals in Boston before the trade

All 3 players are cronic playoff missers

Is that what we hope to get from OEL

besides OEL's numbers never dropped, he has been a consistant .5 ppg player, its his defense that has sagged

anyway, let me rephase that Q

name 3 players to resurect their careers at age 30+

2 hours ago, lmm said:

you have lost track of the bouncing ball

the point was bounce back after being traded after a fall off of 3 seasons

Burns is the only player to have a career on both sides of a trade and his 46 points pre-trade was not actually a slump

So you are 0/11

Half of those players were traded at some point in their careers (Sedins prior to the draft, Bourque before his final season, Datsyuk after his career ended) however none of them had a fall off prior or a bounce back after

Who can you name who had a fall off, got traded, then made an all star recovery?

and was 30+

1 hour ago, lmm said:

not at all

I started with someone else saying  "OEL will bounce back"

I have reframed my question because the so called answers do not fit the current situation

I'll start again,

OEL has, by his own admission, had 3 bad seasons

OEL says he will bounce back

OEL is 30 years old

OEL was just traded, and some posters believe that the trade will trigger an amazing bounce beck

OEL has 6 years remaining on his $7M NMC contract

So which of your examples fit the same criterion?

none

I have reworded my question because some posters have veered away from the situation involving OEL

If you want to answer my question, start with a player in a similar circumstance to OEL

it is OEL we are talking about

If I try real hard I can probably come up with a player or two who have done this feat, however given that the names given do not fit the criteria, it seems rare

so,

name a player who had 3 bad seasons

was 30 years old

was then traded

had a great bounce back

the player of your choosing need not play well for 6 years, ( but OEL needs to) but must play well for at least 3

I'll check back tomorrow

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

@lmm No one is required to answer your silly questions because you keep changing the parameters to them. :rolleyes:

Sorry, your 'point' (if you had one) has long been invalidated. You just hate OEL, and Benning too. You want them all to fail.

What kind of a fan WANTS players to fail, and designs 'questions' to make players look like failures? You don't like this team at all.  Signature says it all about how irrational you are.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah that’s not good smash, not good at all 

I think we will see a new player in OEL this season. OEL is 30 yrs old,6'2, 200 lbs will play 21-24 mins PK,PP and play very well..

This 2021-22 Canucks will be a playoff team ver exciting to watch..Top 6 forwards will be very good..

Even 3rd line Pearson -- Dickinson --Podkolzin

1. Miller  - Petey -- Boeser

2. Hoglander - Horvat -- Garland  {{{ Podkolzin and Hoglander switch lines against big teams....

4. Motte  Sutter -- MacEwen   {{ Highmore -- Gadjovich }

• Cheers 3

Just now, wildcam said:

I think we will see a new player in OEL this season. OEL is 30 yrs old,6'2, 200 lbs will play 21-24 mins PK,PP and play very well..

This 2021-22 Canucks will be a playoff team ver exciting to watch..Top 6 forwards will be very good..

Even 3rd line Pearson -- Dickinson --Podkolzin

1. Miller  - Petey -- Boeser

2. Hoglander - Horvat -- Garland  {{{ Podkolzin and Hoglander switch lines against big teams....

4. Motte  Sutter -- MacEwen   {{ Highmore -- Gadjovich }

Yes I’m not worried one bit hence my sarcasm on the post. (Doesn’t always come across the way I hope haha) 

Couple factors here. We underperformed last year for good reasons. Anyone that doesn’t understand that is a fool imo.

Out are the guys that had any questions of fitting into the roster.

The way the team is coached it seems valuable that we have LH and RH Dmen playing their traditional sides. We have loads of depth there now. Something we haven’t had in years.

The top 9 forward group looks sexy especially if Podkolzin comes in with the bull by the horns. Garland is one of the most underrated acquisitions of all the teams this summer.

OEL - is treated like a bad defencemen somehow, He’s not. There’s a misinterpretation because of his contract which doesn’t seem bad at all NOW when I look at some of these other defencemen getting signed. Look at Jones, Werenski. Now retained at 7.2 looks pretty decent. OEL probably isn’t going to score like he did a few years ago. He’s going to be playing behind QH after all. There will be lots of pressure from media, fans etc but on the ice he just has to be solid. Doesn’t have to be the guy to try and out score everyone like in Arizona.

We shouldn’t even be surprised when our defence is better. We haven’t had a Dman like OEL In a long time. He’s a legit top 2 defencemen.

• Cheers 2

The biggest complaint about OEL's game is his defensive play; not offence.  He's a puck moving dman that will put up points, but is a negative when it comes to keeping the puck out of the net.  The fact that he has played his entire career on a team that is defensively challenged does play a role in his performance. 

I suspect that joining the Canucks, who have a lot of offensive weapons, will have a positive effect on his offensive game and he will maintain or improve his offensive #s.

It's hard to project what might change we'll see (or not) to his defensive game with the Canucks.  He really needs a 'stay at home/shutdown' partner who skates well and has good hockey sense.  I think that is what Poolman or Hamonic will be doing.

Another factor that can play a role is team defence and systems.  The Canucks are fortunate to have a number of Fs that can play a 2-way game.  The recent signing of Shaw will likely have a positive influence in developing team d systems.

Given that he has spent his entire career playing on an awful and uninspiring team, as well as indications that he had a difficult relationship with his coach (2017-2020), I suspect he will be energized and rejuvenated when he plays for the Canucks.   A fresh start with a team that has a boat load of committed and passionate players, may just be what he needs at this point in his career.

I'm not expecting huge changes for OEL.  I just want to see him maintaining his offensive game and the team/coaching supporting his defensive game enough to have a more positive effect on the goals against.

The 6yr term is risky for sure.  He certainly is a decent player that adds mobility and offence.  Hopefully it will last throughout the full term.  Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The biggest complaint about OEL's game is his defensive play; not offence.  He's a puck moving dman that will put up points, but is a negative when it comes to keeping the puck out of the net.  The fact that he has played his entire career on a team that is defensively challenged does play a role in his performance. 

I suspect that joining the Canucks, who have a lot of offensive weapons, will have a positive effect on his offensive game and he will maintain or improve his offensive #s.

It's hard to project what might change we'll see (or not) to his defensive game with the Canucks.  He really needs a 'stay at home/shutdown' partner who skates well and has good hockey sense.  I think that is what Poolman or Hamonic will be doing.

Another factor that can play a role is team defence and systems.  The Canucks are fortunate to have a number of Fs that can play a 2-way game.  The recent signing of Shaw will likely have a positive influence in developing team d systems.

Given that he has spent his entire career playing on an awful and uninspiring team, as well as indications that he had a difficult relationship with his coach (2017-2020), I suspect he will be energized and rejuvenated when he plays for the Canucks.   A fresh start with a team that has a boat load of committed and passionate players, may just be what he needs at this point in his career.

I'm not expecting huge changes for OEL.  I just want to see him maintaining his offensive game and the team/coaching supporting his defensive game enough to have a more positive effect on the goals against.

The 6yr term is risky for sure.  He certainly is a decent player that adds mobility and offence.  Hopefully it will last throughout the full term.  Time will tell.

Well stated post, especially the bolded. Thank you!

OEL is a massive improvement on Edler.  The Canucks will spend way less time shorthanded without Edler's repeated trips to the box for hooking and holding when he was beat.  The Canucks also get to play the Kings numerous times and will take advantage of that lead footed old warrior.  I liked Edler, but he is just to slow to keep up anymore.  Hopefully he screens his goalie a few times for us too.

• Cheers 1

OEL is two years younger than McDonagh, with almost the same cap hit.  McDonagh was a stud in the playoffs this year averaging almost 23 minutes a night and 2nd in ice time on the entire team, only behind Hedman.  He's signed for another 5 years and they actually protected him over Cal Foote in the expansion draft. 

Looking around the league there are numerous example of Dmen in their 30's getting paid the same or more than OEL.  Brent Burns is 36 and getting paid $8 million for 4 more years.  He had arguably his best season ever when he was 33, putting up 83 points.  He didn't win the Norris Trophy that year, he lost it to Mark Giordano, who was even older at 36 and put up 74 points.  Marc Vlasic is another example.  Still getting paid $7 million at 34 years old for another 5 years.  At age 30 he will still at his peak and signed his 7x8 contract at age 31.

OEL has been a consistent 43 point player for most of his career and has been very durable during that time, only missing 39 games in the last 8 years, and most of those games missed came in one season where he had his only major injury.  Contrast that to Alex Edler who's been injured on and off his whole career and hasn't played a full season since 2011, but he was still playing strong up until last year at age 35.  Edler had arguably his best season ever at age 33 with 33 points in only 59 games, +13 and had 7 points in 17 games in the playoffs.  

OEL has been playing with a horrific team his whole career.  He now gets to play on a much better team where he isn't "the guy" and he's not even the captain.  A team well know for its Swedish superstars.  He will love playing in Vancouver, he will come here pumped up and energized and ready to have his best season ever next year.

I mean he is going to be playing with Petey.  What else can another Swedish player ask for?  :)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So many things to be excited about coming into the year.

OEL, Garland, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Rathbone. Even Poolman is intriguing given the bet made on him.

On top of prior storylines; Petey coming off injury, Hughes potential bounceback, Demko first full year as starter, Hoglander/Juolevi 2nd seasons.

Nevermind Abbotsford, looking forward to that team too. Should be a really fun year.

I agree with your post and new players..

Garland 25  --25-30 G--60 points lots of skill -- Fans will love

Podlolzin, 20 - 6'2 - 210lbs - solid 200 foot game 18-22 G --40-45 Points -- Fans will love

Dickinson, 26, 6'2 -200lbs  - very good defensive game, PK , will show more offensive skill..

Defence

OEL, 30 -6'2, 200lbs - will have good year with new team  -21-24 mins -PK-PP will be very good for next 5 yrs....

Hamonic-30 6'2, 210 lbs -- Will be healthy and he knows his role ---21--23 mins  top 4 guy....

Coolman, 28 -6'2 -210 lbs -- will prove people wrong, solid #4 or #5 will play good --18--21 mins

Schenn 31, 6'2 - 220lbs -- solid guy # 6 or # 7 depth guy

Bowey, 26 , 6'2 , 210 lbs -- could surprise team, he will want to prove people wrong... #6 or #7 

Juolevi 23 -6'3 , 195  -- Really has to show next level now.. Big year to show he can be a regular #5 NHL player..

Rathbone 22 , 5'10, 185lbs -- Going to show everyone how good he is, great skating and offence, top #4 by Xmas

Halak  35 - 5'11 -- Very good #2 will play 30 games 2.85 GAA -- 911 SA%

#1 Demko  --- Top 12 --52 GP -- 2.70 GAA -- 918 SA%

Playoff team will have fans excited .. ABBY  Canucks will be great to have close by...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, ItsMillerTime said:

He can still put up 40 points and a change of scenery might just be just what his defensive game needs. 

actually I disagree with the "might be" the problem, I'd almost bet money it IS the problem after playing there for that long and losing heart for playing a bit, I probably would have too.. 

Anything could be an act but he seemed genuinely excited to come to Vancouver and I'd be too. Except for really bad media, probably hands down the worst in the entire NHL but if he can ignore it, which I'm sure he can, because no one is perfect they'll pick on something for sure...

Anyway as long as OEL plays with heart, pretty sure it'll be good to see an ex Norris candidate on the back end whose a big boy and we need all the help we can get in that dept, we can't be that soft, no depth team of old.. (with the odd exception)

One can only hope we never see those days ever again! 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree with your post and new players..

Garland 25  --25-30 G--60 points lots of skill -- Fans will love

Podlolzin, 20 - 6'2 - 210lbs - solid 200 foot game 18-22 G --40-45 Points -- Fans will love

Dickinson, 26, 6'2 -200lbs  - very good defensive game, PK , will show more offensive skill..

Defence

OEL, 30 -6'2, 200lbs - will have good year with new team  -21-24 mins -PK-PP will be very good for next 5 yrs....

Hamonic-30 6'2, 210 lbs -- Will be healthy and he knows his role ---21--23 mins  top 4 guy....

Coolman, 28 -6'2 -210 lbs -- will prove people wrong, solid #4 or #5 will play good --18--21 mins

Schenn 31, 6'2 - 220lbs -- solid guy # 6 or # 7 depth guy

Bowey, 26 , 6'2 , 210 lbs -- could surprise team, he will want to prove people wrong... #6 or #7 

Juolevi 23 -6'3 , 195  -- Really has to show next level now.. Big year to show he can be a regular #5 NHL player..

Rathbone 22 , 5'10, 185lbs -- Going to show everyone how good he is, great skating and offence, top #4 by Xmas

Halak  35 - 5'11 -- Very good #2 will play 30 games 2.85 GAA -- 911 SA%

#1 Demko  --- Top 12 --52 GP -- 2.70 GAA -- 918 SA%

Playoff team will have fans excited .. ABBY  Canucks will be great to have close by...

shhhh the haters will hear you....

27 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

shhhh the haters will hear you....

Oh yes those would still be negative if we win 2 rounds in the playoffs..Good thing is nobody listens to them..

The 15--20% on these site will always be negative...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1