The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conor Garland | #8 | RW/LW

-AJ-

Just now, HomeBrew said:

It's not an assumption that he would have less reach, power and size to defend. His game is built and suits a body that is his size. He would have to play a different styled game if he was smaller. To assume he would just become Lidstrom if he was smaller is a reach at best. Would Bertuzzi be Bertuzzi if he wasn't 6'3" and 230lbs? 

Except it is an assumption. Give me proof on it otherwise. You can't because there is none out there; therefore, it's an assumption. That's how assumptions work. lol

Unless if you're one of these people who think your opinions are facts.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Except it is an assumption. Give me proof on it otherwise. You can't because there is none out there; therefore, it's an assumption. That's how assumptions work. lol

Unless if you're one of these people who think your opinions are facts.

I need to give you proof that his arms would be shorter if he was 6'1" rather than 6'6"? HAHAHaha

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I need to give you proof that his arms would be shorter if he was 6'1" rather than 6'6"? HAHAHaha

Yeah. It's dumb isn't it? Which is why you're making an assumption since you can't provide proof on what he'd actually be like if he was shorter.

Thanks for proving my point.

Also, shorter arms does not mean a worse slapshot just as an example. Slapshots are about mechanics more than anything.

Edited by The Lock

5 hours ago, lmm said:

so you are saying, because Jim traded for a big slow developing, slow skating, slow thinking defenseman who needed babysitting in FLA, then plays him above his capabilities, that we should stay away from big players.  

that might work

fffs

which of the players I listed can Guber out skate or out think

ffffs

Calm your mudflaps, it was a joke.

Point is that there isn't always a player available with both ideal size and great skill. A team has to make due with what's available to them. Like you yourself alluded to, most of the players that you listed are players that can skate and think the game at a high level. I would say that's the more important aspect of why those teams were successful.

A trend is only a trend until it isn't any more. It might be worth it to try and put chase a blueline comparable to the ones you listed. The size queens here would certainly seem to think so. But, considering big, skilled, defensively sound D are hard to come by, we'd probably have to gut our team in order to make it happen, and that's if we could make it happen at all. Teams that chase trends don't typically do as well as the teams that set them in the first place.

Here's something I don't know if anyone else mentioned yet.  Garland was second in scoring in the 2021 World Championships, and led the US team in scoring by a fairly wide margin:  https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm/skaters/scoringleaders (seeing the photo above led me to Google this:)).

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

• 3 weeks later...

Expected a bit more from Garland to be honest but it's only been a couple of games, hopefully he settles in nicely. You can see he's got the skill there, he just hasn't burst into the season the way some of the other guys have but I think he'll get there and hopefully pot 20+ goals.

• Wat 2

Garland really came on all over the ice tonight. His energy and drive cannot be overlooked. He looks like the only Canuck who doesn't know he played last night. He's a little s*** disturber, and I don't mind that. A rat with skill.

• Cheers 2