The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conor Garland | #8 | RW/LW

-AJ-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have to wonder what the future holds now for Garland with the Canucks signing Kuzmenko. 

Player of similar stature, plays a similar game, and Kuzmenko is cheaper (for now). Have to think the Canucks wanting to open up more cap space, that Garland might be dangled to try and get picks or that elusive young RHD.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Have to wonder what the future holds now for Garland with the Canucks signing Kuzmenko. 

Player of similar stature, plays a similar game, and Kuzmenko is cheaper (for now). Have to think the Canucks wanting to open up more cap space, that Garland might be dangled to try and get picks or that elusive young RHD.

Garland is almost certainly worth a lot more as well and could get a significant return IMO. About the same age as Kuzmenko, but proven in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm so torn with Garland. He's small, BUT he plays with sandpaper. He would be a good trade chip for a D man, BUT he's on a terrific contract.

What do you guys think will happen with Garland?

Simply put we need a top-4 young RD this off-season, almost no matter what it costs.

The options to find them are UFA - not many great options apart from Manson and Lybushkin but neither are solid defensively. In the prospect pool? Dry. Trade Miller? Possible but is proving more and more difficult? Trade Boeser? Unlikely after his new contract. Trade other pieces (Pearson, Hoglander, Rathbone)? Won't get us enough value.

I really like Garland, he's one of our best but most inconsistent players, but he's got perfect value for a top 4 young defenceman. You could argue Miller has too much value, everyone else too little, but Garland is perfect. Great player, wrong place, wrong time for this team.

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love Garly.

I think back the best way to make use of his play is to pair him with Miller or Pettersson. He needs a player smart enough to play give and go which will limit his overhandling of the puck or skating himself into corners. Podkolzin seemed to read off him well too, maybe a Podkolzin-Miller-Garland trio would work. 

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Garland is our best winger and he’s on a good contract.  Can’t see us moving him unless it’s for a greater positional need.  Certainly not as a cap clear.

We need to clear cap.  Garland is a winger and we now have guys who replace his minutes.  Clearing five million is huge for us. Getting a couple 2023 second round picks would be great too.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need to clear cap.  Garland is a winger and we now have guys who replace his minutes.  Clearing five million is huge for us. Getting a couple 2023 second round picks would be great too.  

Do we need cap space right now?

The roster is pretty set and there isn’t any RD who can help that Garland’s 5 mil would make a difference in signing.  Klingberg will be asking a lot more than Garland’s salary. There would need to be more going on for it to make sense in moving Garland just for space.

If some other wingers like the Russians step up maybe Garland is expendable next offseason.  I could see that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I love Garly.

I think back the best way to make use of his play is to pair him with Miller or Pettersson. He needs a player smart enough to play give and go which will limit his overhandling of the puck or skating himself into corners. Podkolzin seemed to read off him well too, maybe a Podkolzin-Miller-Garland trio would work. 

Cool to see a highlight package for a guy who's not a 1st line forward. 2nd line guys can have some pretty nice plays too.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:47 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Simply put we need a top-4 young RD this off-season, almost no matter what it costs.

This. If we lost a winger, our forward lines still look pretty good. But if we go into the season with the same D, we can expect the same results.

In an article I just read, sorry I can't link it here, the author suggests that to replace Fiala in Minnesota, the Wild should trade for Garland with RD Addison + as a return. It's interesting. Thoughts?

Edited by robr1can

7 minutes ago, robr1can said:

In an article I just read, sorry I can't link it here, the author suggests that to replace Fiala in Minnesota, the Wild should trade for Garland with RD Addison + as a return. It's interesting. Thoughts?

Is that the Addison that is 170 pounds, and plays in the minors?  We’d be a lot better off with just picks. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that the Addison that is 170 pounds, and plays in the minors?  We’d be a lot better off with just picks. 

I suppose. Calen Addison, 5'11, 180 lbs, played 4 games for the Wild behind a fairly strong defense group, and is considered a blue chip prospect. The suggested throw in, according to Aaron Heckman, the reporter, was  Dmitry Kulikov.

8 hours ago, robr1can said:

https://zonecoverage.com/2022/wild/the-wild-should-target-conor-garland-as-a-fiala-replacement/

Garland is one of the few forwards who can create space and chance by himself on 5v5. we have too many north-south guys, we need need ultra dynamic and creatives forwards like him.
the problem is Dickinson and Poolman. package them with a pick to be incentive, but don't touch Garland, he's part of the solution. 

Our Dcorps  is not the best, but again, OEL, Hughes, Myers isn't that bad.
Dermott could be surprise as a really reliable two way D. put him with Hughes.
Let Schenn takes Rathbone under his wing the same way he took care of Hughes, and you have yourself a not too shabby lineup.

with the deep and talented forwards group we have, we can ice 1 first line and 2 second lines. 
that will offload the D a lot. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1