The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conor Garland | #8 | RW/LW

-AJ-

The call on Garland was crap. Literally just got between Zadina and the puck before Zadina could get to it.

Garland was easily our best player last night. If he plays like that consistently, I could see him becoming my favorite Canuck sooner than later. It's a shame a few of our other "star forwards" weren't able to bring even a fraction of his intensity to last night's game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Red Wings' Zadina uses offensive term to describe Canucks player

Detroit Red Wings winger Filip Zadina used a derogatory term during a post-game press conference on Saturday.

After a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks, the 21-year-old was in the middle of commenting on a forceful hit from forward Conor Garland that sent Zadina to the ice and the Canucks winger to the penalty box, when he used an offensive term for little people.

“I went to chase the puck, went reaching for the puck, and he reversed hit me, I guess,” Zadina said, describing the hit. “I mean, like the midget that he is, it’s pretty normal that he’s reverse hit. I don’t think he’s strong enough to battle me in the corner one-on-one, and he just did a stupid hit. It is what it is.”

While Garland certainly did the youngster dirty by raising a vicious elbow in an attempt to keep possession of the puck, there are certainly other terms for Zadina to use to describe the five-foot-10 Vancouver winger.

It is uncertain if the Red Wings will address the use of this word, but since Zadina has been playing in North America since 2017 — even before Detroit drafted him sixth-overall in 2018 — there is really no excuse for not knowing that is an offensive term to use.

Through two games, the Czech forward has one goal and one assist.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

there is really no excuse for not knowing that is an offensive term to use.

I'm not sure 4 years in a new country, is enough to know every little nuance of a society.

Perhaps some teams spend a smaller amount of time, or over look media training altogether?

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Red Wings' Zadina uses offensive term to describe Canucks player

Detroit Red Wings winger Filip Zadina used a derogatory term during a post-game press conference on Saturday.

After a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks, the 21-year-old was in the middle of commenting on a forceful hit from forward Conor Garland that sent Zadina to the ice and the Canucks winger to the penalty box, when he used an offensive term for little people.

“I went to chase the puck, went reaching for the puck, and he reversed hit me, I guess,” Zadina said, describing the hit. “I mean, like the midget that he is, it’s pretty normal that he’s reverse hit. I don’t think he’s strong enough to battle me in the corner one-on-one, and he just did a stupid hit. It is what it is.”

While Garland certainly did the youngster dirty by raising a vicious elbow in an attempt to keep possession of the puck, there are certainly other terms for Zadina to use to describe the five-foot-10 Vancouver winger.

It is uncertain if the Red Wings will address the use of this word, but since Zadina has been playing in North America since 2017 — even before Detroit drafted him sixth-overall in 2018 — there is really no excuse for not knowing that is an offensive term to use.

Through two games, the Czech forward has one goal and one assist.

Raising a vicious elbow?   His elbow was tight against his body!   
Also, Garland is 5’8”.  
If he hits someone in the head, they almost certainly put themselves in a stupid and dangerous position.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I think he's going to be a fan favourite in no time, basically a smaller but more skilled (but less defensively aware) Burrows which is exactly what this team needs right now. It'll be interesting to see what Green does when Boeser comes back, we might see Garland anywhere in the top-6, either with Bo or maybe even playing with Miller and Petey. I think if he plays on our top line he might really create some space for Petey and might be able to spark a fire under Miller as well.

He's got 3 points in 3 games right now and expect this year to be a real break-out season for him playing with our top guys. 60+ points certainly isn't out of the question, he may well have a Miller-like first season with us which would be huge.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think he's going to be a fan favourite in no time, basically a smaller but more skilled (but less defensively aware) Burrows which is exactly what this team needs right now. It'll be interesting to see what Green does when Boeser comes back, we might see Garland anywhere in the top-6, either with Bo or maybe even playing with Miller and Petey. I think if he plays on our top line he might really create some space for Petey and might be able to spark a fire under Miller as well.

He's got 3 points in 3 games right now and expect this year to be a real break-out season for him playing with our top guys. 60+ points certainly isn't out of the question, he may well have a Miller-like first season with us which would be huge.

I think 50+ points is a safe bet, but the 60s is also certainly reasonable. I could also see him with a Miller-like season getting 70+ too. I think he's gonna thrive with our team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

I just saw this and thought it was hilarious.

We all knew he’d quickly become a fan favourite, we wouldn’t have guessed he’d actually become Johnny Canuck.

5E4AAAE2-D83F-45A0-B7F1-9C0D9E86777E.png

I’d say he cooked that up in practice but they haven’t had many of those during this road trip. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm hoping he becomes our clean version of Brad Marchand. Tenacious and hardworking without all the other BS that Marchand is known for.

If he could get the offensive skills of Marchand too, that would be amazing.

• Cheers 1