The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conor Garland | #8 | RW/LW

-AJ-

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

thanks for posting.

With the addition of Garland this ship has sailed.

I was shocked as much as any thing. He was taken in the same draft as Virtanen, 2014, 10th O/A. 56 games 15+11. 6'2"/230 last season

If Garland does indeed play with Bo, it will force Bo to not hog the puck. He actually has a player that is highly skilled to get the puck on his stick, which will free him up to find more open space, and instead of being the puck distributor. Bo often "tunnel visions" his way into the ozone because if he doesn't have the puck on his stick, not much gets done on his line.  With Garland who is slick, quick, and tenacious, this will allow him to defer the puck and play a little bit more aware of his options in the ozone. 

I think Garland is a perfect match for Bo's game not only because he can get him the puck, but is fully capable of playing in tight in the corners and underneath the goal line. Garland's speed fits well with the Canucks up and down offensive chances game, but Garland most of his goals and offensive chances have come off of generating down low pressure and find chances in the middle/high danger spots of the ice. The Canucks sorely lacked having chances in the middle, Garland isn't afraid to pass or drive the puck into the middle.

What I like about Garland's game too is that he doesn't hold onto the puck for unnecessary amount of time, he is quick and decisive with the puck. What drove me insane with our group the past two years has been the lack of quickness with the puck especially in tight.  Garland's poise and quickness with the puck will create a lot more chances. But when he does hold onto the puck he is deceptive. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If Garland does indeed play with Bo, it will force Bo to not hog the puck. He actually has a player that is highly skilled to get the puck on his stick, which will free him up to find more open space, and instead of being the puck distributor. Bo often "tunnel visions" his way into the ozone because if he doesn't have the puck on his stick, not much gets done on his line.  With Garland who is slick, quick, and tenacious, this will allow him to defer the puck and play a little bit more aware of his options in the ozone. 

I think Garland is a perfect match for Bo's game not only because he can get him the puck, but is fully capable of playing in tight in the corners and underneath the goal line. Garland's speed fits well with the Canucks up and down offensive chances game, but Garland most of his goals and offensive chances have come off of generating down low pressure and find chances in the middle/high danger spots of the ice. The Canucks sorely lacked having chances in the middle, Garland isn't afraid to pass or drive the puck into the middle.

What I like about Garland's game too is that he doesn't hold onto the puck for unnecessary amount of time, he is quick and decisive with the puck. What drove me insane with our group the past two years has been the lack of quickness with the puck especially in tight.  Garland's poise and quickness with the puck will create a lot more chances. But when he does hold onto the puck he is deceptive. 

image.thumb.png.cc55f9dc1db13bfee54f29502a1b09ed.png

Although stats alone don't showcase the vast differences of Boeser's and Garland's game, it is extremely promising that both players share some similar stats. Garland's going to be a real nice addition to this team.

Edit: MSS just means missed shot attempts, so I think that kind of illustrates what we could expect from Garland, in comparison to what we've seen with Boeser. Shooting percentage is half of that of Boeser, even though SOG for both players are about the same, so that speaks to how lethal Boeser is.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2