The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] POTENTIAL 20-21 roster (As of the OEL/Garland trade)

Pettersson - Miller - Garland/Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland/Boeser

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Motte - Graovac - MacEwan

Bailey

Vesey

Boyd

Highmore

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

DiPietro

Just wanted some opinions on what you guys think of the roster atm, prior to any other moves made in the draft/free agency. Team looks good? Where do you think there could be improvement?

• Vintage 1

• -AJ- locked and unlocked this topic

Man did the roster options ever change in a heartbeat today.

I think we'll probably try to land Sutter back at 1.5 or so as our 4C, but we'll have to see where things shake out there might be more to come yet over the weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Listening said:

Bailey

Vesey

Boyd

Highmore

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

DiPietro

Just wanted some opinions on what you guys think of the roster atm, prior to any other moves made in the draft/free agency. Team looks good? Where do you think there could be improvement?

Best top 9 we have had in a decade.  I think our 4th line will be much different than that, we have $ to improve it

Rathbone should be in for Juolevi.  I think we have enough $ to get a better D than Hamonic.

What a day.  We are looking really good heading into next year.

Quite a few of those players won't be back by the time everything is set and done.

How I see the roster currently:

Miller Petey Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte - 4C - Lockwood

Highmore

Macewen

Hughes - 1RD

OEL - 2RD

Juolevi/Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone

Demko

Backup G

Some more work left to be done via trades and free agency.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander

Motte-Boyd-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-???

Hughes-???

Juolevi-Myers / Rathbone-Myers

Demko

???

My predictions:

1) Virtanen buyout

2) Schmidt and our 2nd will be used to either sneak back into the first round OR get a good young prospect (i.e. Braden Schneider?)

3) Canucks will find a way to move Holtby and get a cheaper back-up in return.

4) One of Juolevi or Rathbone will be moved for a young right side defenseman. With OEL and Hughes here, I'm thinking that Rathbone might be that piece.

5) Canucks will sign another RD of some kind.  

13 minutes ago, The Listening said:

Bailey

Vesey

Boyd

Highmore

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

DiPietro

Gadjovich? If the team tries to send him down he might get plucked.

I like Graovac, but do I like him enough as the 4C is the question. Also, he could be plucked if the Canucks try to assign him.

Something to keep in mind for any future adjustments, Hoglander and Podkolzin are (to my understanding) waiver exempt. It would suck to send them down, but it might be an important consideration in short term asset management for holding on to other assets

(cue the: "OMGBENNINGWHATAWASTEOFASSETS!!!!LOLPROTEKINGAHLersWHOAREINWAIVERS" and other such comments, which would evolve into, "OMGBENNINGJUSTLOST*PLAYER*FORNOTHINGONWAIVERS!!!!!!!!!)

Rathbone as the 7th d-man, or sent down for room (he's waiver exempt) and a different guy brought in?

What do you have in mind if Holtby were to be traded?

regards,  G.

12 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Best top 9 we have had in a decade.  I think our 4th line will be much different than that, we have $ to improve it

Rathbone should be in for Juolevi.  I think we have enough $ to get a better D than Hamonic.

What a day.  We are looking really good heading into next year.

I'm liking Juolevi until he proves he isn't ready to be there. And I'm okay with a d-pairing that is more defensive. Rathbone is waiver exempt so I'm assuming he gets lost in the numbers game. I'm assuming that the Canucks will keep in touch with Hamonic (if they want to stay "cheap"), but they will also be looking elsewhere (eg. someone like Savard if $$ isn't really as much of an issue).

regards,  G.

9 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Quite a few of those players won't be back by the time everything is set and done.

How I see the roster currently:

Miller Petey Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte - 4C - Lockwood

Highmore

Macewen

Hughes - 1RD

OEL - 2RD

Juolevi/Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone

Demko

Backup G

Some more work left to be done via trades and free agency.

Basically this.  Hopefully the return for Schmidt would be one of those #1 or #2 RD.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Man did the roster options ever change in a heartbeat today.

I think we'll probably try to land Sutter back at 1.5 or so as our 4C, but we'll have to see where things shake out there might be more to come yet over the weekend. 

I actually never even considered that possibility.  Very true by the way.  I wouldn't mind seeing Sutter back here as the 4C.

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-____________-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-Lockwood

OEL-Hamilton 

Hughes-Hamonic 

Rathbone-Myers 

Demko

If they can trade Schmidt's full cap out for picks and Holtby for picks I would go hard after Hamilton. 

Many of the depth players you listed aren't re-signed yet. And I don't really want most of them back anyway.

This would be my preferred lineup:

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte - Sutter - Lockwood

Highmore

Macewen (Believe he would need to be re-signed too)

Savard Hughes

OEL - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Trade Juolevi if we can get a decent return. We need picks as our cupboards are looking awfully bare. If Schmidt has to go (I'd prefer him to stay) then I'd like us to get picks for him too, then sign that shutdown guy in any event.

I know you guys will "ew" Sutter, but he wants to stay and does have decent 4th line abilities. If he comes cheap, his leadership is worth it.

And I moved Pearson up, only because he did have a great prior year and works well with Bo. I felt the 3rd line as I have it is an incredibly tenacious line that can still score. But really, whatever works... works. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoglander placed higher in the lineup either...

Edited by kloubek

Savard will cost too much, we can't afford him. Adding one more forward and two more defenders along with signing Garland, Pettersson and Hughes will be a tall task. We can't take Savard on top of that. To clear cap, Holtby and Virtanen have to go. Holtby could probably fetch a draft pick whereas Virtanen probably just gets bought out and signs somewhere else as a UFA. Maybe his personal issues will preclude him from playing again, but we need to get that money off the books so we can add another bottom six guy hopefully a center. I don't think bringing in a retread like Sutter is the best move. Sutter may have a home on a team like Toronto, Tampa Bay, etc. I don't think a return would be good for him or the team. 

Hamonic should come back though, he's a solid second pairing guy which is exactly where he'll be playing with Quinn Hughes. I don't know if Nate Schmidt fits with that high cap-hit but if we can't find a replacement for $2 Million less than it's not worthwhile. His replacement for me would probably be Goligoski and I think Savard would cost at least $5 Million even though Larsson only went for $4 Million. Savard is the superior player, so he'll make more and I get the sense Larsson took a haircut for a fresh start in a new market. Savard would be great, but trading Schmidt out when we've committed to him by trading a pick out is just not prudent. Keep Schmidt, playing him with OEL and they'll be lights-out. 

• Upvote 1

Garland, Podkolzin, and Dickinson will be great upgrades to our forward group. Added speed and size which is nice. Number 1 priority should be a good stay at home RD with size. Continue to stack that defense as much as we can especially if Schmidt gets moved. Other than that, I’d like to see us add some toughness up front. 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What I'd like to see:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Motte

Podkolzin - Sutter - MacEwan

Highmore

OEL - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi 

Demko

Brossoit

This 100%

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What I'd like to see:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Motte

Podkolzin - Sutter - MacEwan

Highmore

OEL - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi 

Demko

Brossoit

I wouldn’t want to see Podkolzin playing 4th line left wing at all as it would do next to nothing for his development.  Podz needs to play in a more offensive role with more minutes to aid in his development.

My hope is that he’s playing on the 2nd or 3rd line right from the get go as he seems to be ready.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-MacEwen

Highmore

I’d even alternate Hogs and Podz at times (with Garland moving to LW) if the situation called for it (and since having Garland and Hoglander on the same line together might make the line too small).

OEL-[SchmidtTrade]
Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

[HoltbyReplacement]

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Tarasenko

Podzkolzin-Dickinson-Garland

Vesey-MacEwen-Motte

Hughes-Myers

OEL-Hamonic

Juolevi-Bowey

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby [or a goaltender from free agency]

options to open cap room to acquire Vladimir Tarasenko. Offload either 2 of the three. Schmidt, Pearson or Holtby. To teams in need of their talents. We can get much needed draft picks returns. which we already lost. That would also open more cap for an important upcoming free agent signing. Yes Tarasenko could be a liability! And yes we might have to give up our future 1st & our 2nd rd draft picks. Lets take that chance! Id bet he fit in perfectly. We can get that 30-50 goal scorer to balance out this team, to be a cup contending team once again. Just a thought.  

Edited by KnuckleHead16