The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Sam Reinhart to Panthers for Devon Levi, 2022 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Deal done without a extension signed. Weird.

Also, I don't think people realize how good Florida was last season. And that was with them losing Ekblad. They got much better adding Reinhart. Florida is looking pretty legit.

I agree Florida is moving their chips on the table here and good on them.. with their Bob contract being this bad I imagine they will have to bank on a huge year or two in the now before forcing their hand in paying their amazing players like Barkov next year and Huberdeau in 2 years... also lets not forget their #1 goalie in Spencer Knight in 2 years :bigblush:

image.thumb.png.cd2d8922bcc155ace91b79e892fc6b13.png

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We did get rid of 3 bad contracts. All of which had 1 year left on them. And took on 6 years at 7 mil per for a guy who - sorry to burst everyones bubble - has been declining for 3 years and is not the defensive stalwart Benning seems to think he is. OEL has one of the worst contracts in the league. He is not a top dman anymore. A top 4 guy for sure. But his defensive game has been a black hole even relative to his teammates. Arizona made out like bandits on this deal. That doesnt mean its terrible. Its just very risky to the Canucks.

Arizona not being interested in keeping Garland was pretty well known. Would you have traded a 2022 2nd for him? I would have for sure. His contract is what will determine if he is really a piece that makes OEL worth taking on at that price though.

So a 9th OA pick and a 7th to trade 3 short term cap problems for one long term cap problem seems like a risky proposition. 

I dont disagree that trading the 9th OAplus for Reinhart would have been a worse move. 

Opinion based.

A lot of opinion.

Again, OEL could have simply chosen to do nothing.  Arizona literally could not afford his contract.  To say they made out is erroneous and again, opinion based because they NEEDED to get rid of him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still can't believe that Devon Levi fell to the 7th round and was almost not drafted. He'd have been a 2nd round pick this year had he been passed over, I think.

Levi was never gonna get a real chance in Florida with Spencer Knight and BOBROVSKY in front of him.

Buffalo fans get a real goalie prospect for the future. Florida paid a lot for what could be a one season rental. Don't hate this deal for either team.

Just wondering where Eichel lands. Buffalo looks ready to do a real rebuild.

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Opinion based.

A lot of opinion.

Again, OEL could have simply chosen to do nothing.  Arizona literally could not afford his contract.  To say they made out is erroneous and again, opinion based because they NEEDED to get rid of him.  

They both needed and wanted to get rid of him. Chychrun surpassed him. They had no need for him. So to get a 9th OA pick and free cap space after this upcoming year is a pretty big win for them.

I think in a years time most in Vancouver are going to hate his contract. I hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They both needed and wanted to get rid of him. Chychrun surpassed him. They had no need for him. So to get a 9th OA pick and free cap space after this upcoming year is a pretty big win for them.

I think in a years time most in Vancouver are going to hate his contract. I hope I am wrong.

The funny thing is, when you "think" it's an opinion and, opinions are usually never fact based but more based on emotion.

I would not have dealt our 9th overall for  Florida's (likely late 1st) 2022  - a team that was 1 pt out of the top spot in the eastern conference - and Levi.

I think Buffalo got less than a whole lot of posters on these boards were proposing - including ones now 'thankful' we didn't pay the price.

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The funny thing is, when you "think" it's an opinion and, opinions are usually never fact based but more based on emotion.

The funnier thing is this is cdc whose whole purpose is to discuss our opinions.

Very few people here actually have any inside knowledge. So its basically all opinion here.

Your "opinion" is that I am wrong about his contract and what it will look like down the road. Its not actually a fact. 

Nice try dismissing someone else's opinion for not being a fact woth an opinion of your own that isnot actually a fact.

At least I understand my views are actually opinions.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

funny to see the "trade the 9OA for Reinhart" club do an about-face and be 'thankful' we didn't pony up for him....

I prefer the deal we made (was never particularly interested in chasing Reinhart).

Would have been good with this as well. IMO, it didn’t happen because Buffalo refused to take back other contracts.

55 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The funnier thing is this is cdc whose whole purpose is to discuss our opinions.

Very few people here actually have any inside knowledge. So its basically all opinion here.

Your "opinion" is that I am wrong about his contract and what it will look like down the road. Its not actually a fact. 

Nice try dismissing someone else's opinion for not being a fact woth an opinion of your own that isnot actually a fact.

At least I understand my views are actually opinions.

You've made statements of an absolute nature so no, your views are not opinions os much as they are projections BASED on your opinion which is BASED on emotions.

nice try pretending otherwise while telling us how Arizona won because arizona did this and arizona had that though

Just now, Warhippy said:

You've made statements of an absolute nature so no, your views are not opinions os much as they are projections BASED on your opinion which is BASED on emotions.

nice try pretending otherwise while telling us how Arizona won because arizona did this and arizona had that though

So you have a problem with me saying "I think" because its an opinion and not fact while simultaneously having a problem with me making projections based on my opinion?

I am not "emotional" about this trade at all. I knew it was coming since last year (Benning is myopic once he keys in on a guy and gets him nomatter the cost) and it doesnt actually affect my life in any meaningful way if the Canucks suck or dont. 

My opinion is based on my own analysis of the various factors involved with both teams. If you disagree thats fine. But it doesnt invalidate either my opinion or my projections.

Arizona is much better off today than they were yesterday. They shed significant long term cap for short term cap and a top prospect+. 

Are the Canucks better? On the ice, sure. But the opportunity cost of not waiting one more year to let cap come off and filling it with 6 years of a bad cap hit now is a huge longer term risk. 

The deal is not terrible for Vancouver. Its just not good either. For Arizona it was a home run. A dman they were desperate to get rid of and a pending rfa they didnt want to sign anyway. BetweenOEL and Garland, most of the 1 year cap they shed will be tied up for several years. Like I said before, if Benning had been fired, zero chance a new GM does this deal. Handcuffing Benning to make the playoffs or else is an Aquilini mistake. Trust the fuy if you choose to keep him. Dont force him to make reactionary moves that will hurt the team longer term. 

16 hours ago, Quantum said:

I still can't believe that Devon Levi fell to the 7th round and was almost not drafted. He'd have been a 2nd round pick this year had he been passed over, I think.

Levi was never gonna get a real chance in Florida with Spencer Knight and BOBROVSKY in front of him.

Buffalo fans get a real goalie prospect for the future. Florida paid a lot for what could be a one season rental. Don't hate this deal for either team.

Just wondering where Eichel lands. Buffalo looks ready to do a real rebuild.

LA has the inside track from what I’ve heard.  Could b a scary team next year.