The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 8/2/2021 at 1:43 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Gleb Trikozov will be a fun prospect to watch. Now that the Canucks have had Podkolzin and Klimovich as early picks, and Brackett is gone, we have to assume Chibisov ranks pretty high up on the scouting staff now. Upside could be monstrous, but he could fall quite a ways due to immature play (as Lysell or Perfetti did) as well as the Russian factor.

It will be very interesting to see where Trikozov ranks he's a wild card for sure. Will be a fun one to watch.

• Like 1

Alright, I've been watching video from Hlinkas and some older clips, and I'm gonna try a list. Going mostly off what I've seen myself:

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Brad Lambert

4. Frank Nazar

5. Danila Yurov

6. Matthew Savoie

7. Tristan Luneau

8. Simon Nemec

9. Juraj Slafkovsky

10. Elias Salomonsson

A few notes: at 5'9, it seems unlikely Nazar actually goes this high, but right now he's the most electrifying offensive talent in the draft, so we'll see where it goes. A year ago, I thought Yurov was a really smart, sturdy, pro-style player without much upside, but late in the season he started flashing some high end stick skills. Kid is getting slept on hard so far.

Of the three D I listed, I think Salomonsson has the most offensive upside, but he's an August 31 birthday and is a lot more raw than those other two. Nemec is the safest, most complete, pro-style defenseman, but I'm not sure what the upside is right now. Luneau falls somewhere in between - he's a transition machine, but not the wizard in the offensive zone that Salomonsson can be.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 8/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Alright, I've been watching video from Hlinkas and some older clips, and I'm gonna try a list. Going mostly off what I've seen myself:

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Brad Lambert

4. Frank Nazar

5. Danila Yurov

6. Matthew Savoie

7. Tristan Luneau

8. Simon Nemec

9. Juraj Slafkovsky

10. Elias Salomonsson

A few notes: at 5'9, it seems unlikely Nazar actually goes this high, but right now he's the most electrifying offensive talent in the draft, so we'll see where it goes. A year ago, I thought Yurov was a really smart, sturdy, pro-style player without much upside, but late in the season he started flashing some high end stick skills. Kid is getting slept on hard so far.

Of the three D I listed, I think Salomonsson has the most offensive upside, but he's an August 31 birthday and is a lot more raw than those other two. Nemec is the safest, most complete, pro-style defenseman, but I'm not sure what the upside is right now. Luneau falls somewhere in between - he's a transition machine, but not the wizard in the offensive zone that Salomonsson can be.

Just my snap judgement opinion from a few viewings. I think Lambert may be over hyped. No doubt he is incredibly offensively gifted but his play without the puck gives me fits. Hopefully its just immaturity but seems to spend too much time hot doggin IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Just my snap judgement opinion from a few viewings. I think Lambert may be over hyped. No doubt he is incredibly offensively gifted but his play without the puck gives me fits. Hopefully its just immaturity but seems to spend too much time hot doggin IMO. 

I've seen a lot of Lambert. U17s, U20s, U18s - he's not perfect, but I think he's in a tier with guys like Stutzle, Barzal, Eklund. Not the biggest on carrying and challenging defenders to the inside but they control the outside so beautifully and can break down coverages. This is why any line Barzal is on dominates the league in corsi and generating chances every year. It's what guys like Jean-Luc Foudy and Samu Tuomaala try to do but I'm not sure they have the same level of hockey IQ or creativity.

As with those guys I don't see him as a monster offensive star, but probably a safe bet to be a regular 70-90 point guy.

• Cheers 2

On 8/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, HighOnHockey said:

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Brad Lambert

4. Frank Nazar

5. Danila Yurov

6. Matthew Savoie

7. Tristan Luneau

8. Simon Nemec

9. Juraj Slafkovsky

10. Elias Salomonsson

Interesting that you dont have mcgroarty on there

Edited by Isam
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Absolutely it is. Shows what a hell of a class it is. Felt pretty uneasy leaving him and Seamus Casey off. Who would you leave out for McGroarty?

Salomonsson. I got him ranked in my 12 to 13 range. I would also drop nazar out of that list and add in geekie.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Isam said:

Salomonsson. I got him ranked in my 12 to 13 range. I would also drop nazar out of that list and add in geekie.

I mean yeah sure, to each his own. Those all seem like reasonable opinions. Haven't got to see Geekie play yet myself but the numbers seem telling. I've seen a few games of McGroarty and he looks spectacular at times, but seems really inconsistent to me. Like I said, I'm sure Nazar won't actually go that high, but I like him - he's the most fun prospect in the class to watch and the upside seems tremendous. If I was trying to make a prediction of how the draft will actually play out it would look a little different. but I guess the best way to describe the thought process behind my list would be "who would I be most excited for one of my favorite teams to draft?"

Edited by HighOnHockey

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

I mean yeah sure, to each his own. Those all seem like reasonable opinions. Haven't got to see Geekie play yet myself but the numbers seem telling. I've seen a few games of McGroarty and he looks spectacular at times, but seems really inconsistent to me. Like I said, I'm sure Nazar won't actually go that high, but I like him - he's the most fun prospect to watch and the upside seems enormous. If I was trying to make a prediction of how the draft will actually play out it would look a little different. but I guess the best way to describe the thought process behind my list would be "who would I be most excited for one of my favorite teams to draft."

For sure. I actually like casey and would put in my top ten favorite players, but have a feeling he will drop cuz this class is insane

• Like 1

Just a little note: Juraj Slafkovský is going to play for the Slovak national team in the Olympic qualifier tournament in Bratislava in Aug 26-20 (as 17-year old). And he already played for the Slovak national team 6 games in the last world championship.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Forget to mention that another Slovak prospect for 2022 NHL draft, defenceman Šimon Nemec also plays for Slovak national team in the Olympic qualifiers. Today Slovakia beat Poland 5-1 and both Šimon Nemec and Juraj Slafkovský gets 1A each.

Edited by Stierlitz

16-year old Matvey Michkov made his KHL debut for SKA St.Petersburg vs KHL Sochi club in the Nikolai Puchkov tournament and scored goal on partial breakaway. Today he played his second game for SKA against Severstal.

michkov.jpg

Edited by Stierlitz

17 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

16-year old Matvey Michkov made his KHL debut for SKA St.Petersburg vs KHL Sochi club in the Nikolai Puchkov tournament and scored goal on partial breakaway. Today he played his second game for SKA against Severstal.

michkov.jpg

Well, pre-season debut. Season starts September 1st. Pretty sure he'll be on the roster.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, Isam said:

Interesting that you dont have mcgroarty on there

Lol just came across my top 5 lists from March and October of 2020:

March 2020

1. Shane Wright
2. Ivan Miroshnichenko
3. Rutger McGroarty
4. Matthew Savoie
5. Brad Lambert

October 2020

1. Shane Wright
2. Ivan Miroschnichenko
3. Matthew Savoie
4. Brad Lambert
5. Rutger McGroarty

But at those times I was still going largely off of stats. McGroarty was a stocky kid from early on, and his performance with the U18 team this year was somewhat underwhelming, leaving me with suspicions that his size was a disproportionate factor in his dominance at younger levels. Watching him play, I see flashes of something like Jamie Benn, but also long stretches where I barely notice him. Excited to see how this season goes, as if he can bring that A game more consistently, he's likely a top five pick; if not, he could easily fall out of the top 10.

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol just came across my top 5 lists from March and October of 2020:

March 2020

1. Shane Wright
2. Ivan Miroshnichenko
3. Rutger McGroarty
4. Matthew Savoie
5. Brad Lambert

October 2020

1. Shane Wright
2. Ivan Miroschnichenko
3. Matthew Savoie
4. Brad Lambert
5. Rutger McGroarty

But at those times I was still going largely off of stats. McGroarty was a stocky kid from early on, and his performance with the U18 team this year was somewhat underwhelming, leaving me with suspicions that his size was a disproportionate factor in his dominance at younger levels. Watching him play, I see flashes of something like Jamie Benn, but also long stretches where I barely notice him. Excited to see how this season goes, as if he can bring that A game more consistently, he's likely a top five pick; if not, he could easily fall out of the top 10.

U18s are big step up, but i believe he can do it. He was a force at the youth olympics for the states in probably the best  competition that i have ever seen assembled for that event.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Isam said:

Another name look at in this draft is ryan chesly. 

I saw a list recently - it was from some sort of media scouting service I wasn't familiar with - but they had Chesley in their top 5. Looking at the stats it would make sense actually, as his numbers have been almost unheard of for the U17 program. I just wonder if all the kids from that program have their numbers and reputations a little inflated though. Usually they play a bunch of little 4 and 5 nation tournaments against top opponents like Russia, Sweden, Finland. This year there was no such things, so they got an unusually high proportion of games against NAHL, aside from the regular USHL schedule. McGroarty, Howard, Nazar, Casey, Hutson, Chesley, Cooley, Strammel, Kaplan. NAHL is easy pickings for those guys. If all these players are really as good as they seem, this should be as good or better than the 2018-'19 program. I don't think that is quite the case, although I do think it is one of the best groups they've had in years.

But back to Chesley in particular, from my limited viewings, I've seen him as a first round pick, but haven't seen anything that would indicate top 5 or 10, so I dunno. The one thing that rubbed me the wrong way about Chesley was in the YOG gold medal game, USA was being outplayed by Russia and was down in the third - I believe the score was 2-0 at that point, so the game was still within reach - and Chesley kicked a Russian players stick that was on the ice, resulting in a penalty. It was purely out of frustration, and the last thing you wanna do is give Miro-Michkov free powerplay opportunities. Not a huge deal for a 15 year old, but I'll take every data point available.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Isam said:

U18s are big step up, but i believe he can do it. He was a force at the youth olympics for the states in probably the best  competition that i have ever seen assembled for that event.

Usually USA had Strammel-McGroarty on one line and then Howard-Nazar on another at YOG. I recall the only time USA had any sustained pressure against Russia in the gold medal game was late in the third period out of desperation they put McGroarty and Nazar together. I believe at one point they even pinned the Miro-Michkov line for a shift.