The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cale Makar signs 6 year contract

Just now, rekker said:

I see a 6 x 6.5 per for Hughes. I may be light though. 

Ditto.

Quinn is great offensively but pretty bad defensively (for now).  Easily bodied off the puck last year.  I hope he can improve next year to limit those mistakes. Even though the +/- stat isn't a good stat to use, it's still an indicator of a problem when it's that high in the negative. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Well when you got guys squawking in the media starting false rumours, yah no one is going to want to leak any info Drance. Especially after the Kraken debacle.

At the point where I think sports media is a scourge on society, and we would be better off -without- them. 90% of stuff that comes from media, especially so in Vancouver is toxic in nature and really only put out there to cause chaos/division amongst fans.

If we could ship all of these guys off to Florida for the next trade, please Jim?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Makar is lightyears ahead of huggy in terms of complete player.

Defense is in the name of the position he plays, hence huggy is a 6m or under. Makar won the calder and followed it up with top 3 norris votes. How anyone compares these guys is beyond me at this stage.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hughes for Mercer, Bahl, Smith would work for me.

I'd go 1st 2022 (top 10 protected...slides to 2023) + Bahl + Smith.

Losing Quinn would hurt but we got Schmidt + OEL to fill in the gaps.  Plus Smith is pretty good as well.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Also works.  I love Mercer as a prospect, but Bahl needs to be part of the return.  Absolute beast back there.

My thinking is more along the lines of, if we're moving on from Quinn, I want a potential lottery ticket in the form of their unprotected 1st.

Smith and Bahl are nice, but Quinn is the kind of player we have to maximize return on if we're going to move

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Also works.  I love Mercer as a prospect, but Bahl needs to be part of the return.  Absolute beast back there.

Bahl, Holtz, Unprotected 1st - then flip boeser before we pay him the big money deal as long term i see more value in hogz podz 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I'd go 1st 2022 (top 10 protected...slides to 2023) + Bahl + Smith.

Losing Quinn would hurt but we got Schmidt + OEL to fill in the gaps.  Plus Smith is pretty good as well.

It would hurt. But I wouldn't keep Rathbone out of the equation. He looked almost Hughes light out there last season. He could step up to fill the role as well. 

• Vintage 1

The NJD connection is too strong... There is no rush though, pay Hughes a bridge deal and we can look at a trade to NJD whenever luke and Jack become more solidified NHLers

Edited by goblix

Just now, goblix said:

The NJD connection is too strong... There is no rush though, pay Hughes a bridge deal and we can look at a trade to NJD whenever luke and Jack become more solidified NHLers

Its only a matter of time before he starts asking to be sent to NJ.  Id give it 3 years.

Also i think the avs screwed up the last two playoffs. Now with all the key players needing contracts and everyone looking for big coin while mac keep preaching discount for a strong team... Also knowing he can get a little heated at times... Wonder how he feels about this offseason for them thus far

Maybe the fall of the potential powerhouse has already begun 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

It would hurt. But I wouldn't keep Rathbone out of the equation. He looked almost Hughes light out there last season. He could step up to fill the role as well. 

Then swap out Smith for Holtz or Mercer.  We got the LHD side covered for now.  OEL, Schmidt, OJ, Rathbone. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

He wont get it nor does he deserve it.  Makar is a legit #1 dman.  Hughes is nowhere near. 

The Canucks would be able to shut down his agent pretty quick by looking at his underlying stats.

Sure he puts up points but he’s gotta round out his game if he wants anywhere close to what Makar just got.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

We are overestimating Rathbone just like we overestimated Rafferty and Chatfield.