The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cale Makar signs 6 year contract

9 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Makar is lightyears ahead of huggy in terms of complete player.

Defense is in the name of the position he plays, hence huggy is a 6m or under. Makar won the calder and followed it up with top 3 norris votes. How anyone compares these guys is beyond me at this stage.

Fans on this board are desperate to believe Quinn is a legit #1. They will convince themselves of anything.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Its only a matter of time before he starts asking to be sent to NJ.  Id give it 3 years.

How do you know he wants to go there? 

You do know brothers can play in the NHL and not be on the same team right?

Did Marc Staal beg to go to  Carolina when Eric and Jordan played together? Nope.

• Upvote 2

Just now, EddieVedder said:

We are overestimating Rathbone just like we overestimated Rafferty and Chatfield.  

I don't agree. His skating, poise, vision is leap years ahead of either of those two. For the record, neither of those two have impressed me much yet. Brisebois impresses me more than those two. 

Its only a matter of time before he starts asking to be sent to NJ.  Id give it 3 years.

Quinn is pretty professional and quite frankly Canucks are far better than NJD...

3 years is probably a fair time frame but yeah i don't think he's going to come out and say trade me to NJD. If anything NJD will come knocking and hopefully will blow our socks off

Fans on this board are desperate to believe Quinn is a legit #1. They will convince themselves of anything.  

No.  I think everyone knows he's a #1 OFD.  He's not the complete package. 

• Cheers 1

Makar/Heiskanen.....Jones......Hughes

Honestly, Hughes is a great player amazing offensively but think like vintage Barrie not Vintage Keith in terms of scoring AND defensive accumen.

Hughes takes a 4 year by 6 million deal and smiles because....learn to defense

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

This was bigger than I thought it would be.
I haven’t put thought towards what a long term Hughes contract would look like since we didn’t have the cap space until yesterday.

I think this puts a Hughes long term extension at the $7.5 million range, but I don’t know that we avoid even go dow that road as there is a lot of risk. 

Just now, Provost said:

I think this puts a Hughes long term extension at the $7.5 million range, but I don’t know that we avoid even go dow that road as there is a lot of risk. 

I was just going to say. This is where he should be on a long term deals and I say do it. Quinn is a smart player. That would be a bargain in a couple years 

9 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He has legit #1 potential.

Makar is GREAT and on a juggernaut of a team.

Hughes is GREAT on an Tweener team. 

23 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Makar is lightyears ahead of huggy in terms of complete player.

Defense is in the name of the position he plays, hence huggy is a 6m or under. Makar won the calder and followed it up with top 3 norris votes. How anyone compares these guys is beyond me at this stage.

Because they’re a year removed from being neck and neck Calder finalists. Makar had a great sophomore season, Quinn not so much but this idea that Quinn ‘can’t play defense’ is just dumb. At the end of his freshman season he was absolutely dominating at both ends of the ice (mostly by the way he was able to move the puck). He needs to play catch-up now with Makar but they are definitely comparable. 

14 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Jim Carrey GIF 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Makar/Heiskanen.....Jones......Hughes

Honestly, Hughes is a great player amazing offensively but think like vintage Barrie not Vintage Keith in terms of scoring AND defensive accumen.

Hughes takes a 4 year by 6 million deal and smiles because....learn to defense

I think he gets closer to 7 after the last couple days. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets more but I guess the term will have an impact on that number so we’ll see. 

31 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I can’t see Hughes getting 9 mil. I’ll take Hughes on a 3 yr 7 mil. Then after that if he’s tightened up defensively I’ll give him 9. 

While I agree that Quinn needs to play better on his own end, when I watched the last few games of Colorado versus Vegas in the playoffs, I thought Makar's D wasn't good at all. He wasn't slowing down anybody.

Crazy money being dished out to defenders lately. I use Hedman's deal as a comparable - he's the best defenceman in the league right now, recent Norris winner, playoff performer, back to back Cup winner and his cap hit is under 8M.

Then you get Jones score 9.5M out of nowhere, Heiskanen over 8M and now Makar at 9M.

I agree in that Makar deserves big money but why have these contracts for defencemen gone up after Hedman signed? The flat cap has more or less remained the same.

5 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

While I agree that Quinn needs to play better on his own end, when I watched the last few games of Colorado versus Vegas in the playoffs, I thought Makar's D wasn't good at all. He wasn't slowing down anybody.

It’s tough because everyone will now base Hughes contract off of Makar. Hughes needs to make a huge step next year and play a more sound game. 

A calder is a race between upwards of 5 players a year. A norris is a race between the entire dcrop in the league. One is a top 3 rated, the other is not rated at all, and we all know why. 6m/y is very fair for what he bring rn. Compared to makar its very fair to say if he can elevate to NORRIS level thats a 3m boost in salary. 

25 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We are overestimating Rathbone just like we overestimated Rafferty and Chatfield.  

Perhaps, but Rathbone looked very very promising out there.  He's got the swagger and the confidence.  

It will take time for him no doubt, but he's going to be an NHL player...  I'm putting my stamp of approval on it.