The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cale Makar signs 6 year contract

Hughes can’t ask or get 9M now.  So 8-8.5 if he wants same term.

if he’s smart he should ask for 3x7M$ and sign a 9-10M$ after once the cap start moving back up and if he continue if progression.  I think that would be better for us too

36 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Its only a matter of time before he starts asking to be sent to NJ.  Id give it 3 years.

35 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We are overestimating Rathbone just like we overestimated Rafferty and Chatfield.  

34 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Fans on this board are desperate to believe Quinn is a legit #1. They will convince themselves of anything.  

Why are you even here? Get banned from the HFBoards?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

if he’s smart he should ask for 3x7M$ and sign a 9-10M$ after once the cap start moving back up and if he continue if progression.  I think that would be better for us too

There is a lot more than a half a million dollar difference between Hughes and Makar right now. I wouldn't give Hughes any more than 7.5 and that would be locking him up for 8 years.  If it's shorter,  the AAV drops for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I can’t see Hughes getting 9 mil. I’ll take Hughes on a 3 yr 7 mil. Then after that if he’s tightened up defensively I’ll give him 9. 

I expect Hughes and Petterson both on bridge deals like this, and to be fair they both seem like the type of guys that would be willing to help the team. Petterson with his injuries last year, and Hughes with his defensive lapses.... I think their contracts will be somewhat reasonable, but only a few years long. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

There is a lot more than a half a million dollar difference between Hughes and Makar right now. I wouldn't give Hughes any more than 7.5 and that would be locking him up for 8 years.  If it's shorter,  the AAV drops for me

His agent is going to tell you that there is a lot more than 1.5M$ difference between Myers and Hughes.  

it’s not about the personal between Hughes and Makar.  It’s about the market.  Hughes and Makar are in the same bracket, Makar being the top of that bracket and the others following close by but just under.  Similar to how Marner and Matthews were signed.

i don’t see anything under 8, unless Hughes is highly unselfish and give the teams friendly deal or he only sign a bridge deal 

I agree with most of the numbers people are putting out for Hughes' contract...

But damn, y'all are criticizing him as if he was the defensive handicap Sbisa was a few years back. What happened to Hughes for the Calder over Makar? What happened to draft steal of the decade? Complete 180 now that contract talks are up. I guess money really does change people, even when you're a fan watching from afar :lol:

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

9 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I agree with most of the numbers people are putting out for Hughes' contract...

But damn, y'all are criticizing him as if he was the defensive handicap Sbisa was a few years back. What happened to Hughes for the Calder over Makar? What happened to draft steal of the decade? Complete 180 now that contract talks are up. I guess money really does change people, even when you're a fan watching from afar :lol:

What happened to Hughes over makar? Ughhh.... All of last season? I guess you missed the memo. 

Quinns true colours showed when he lost a premier shut down d man as a partner. 

Appreciate him for what he is, but know he isn't an all around two way defensive stud.

Screenshot_20210724-093456699.png

Screenshot_20210724-093524948.png

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol the myriad of CDC fans arguing Hughes is better than Makar the last couple of years. And now that Makar is signed at 9mil AAV suddenly Makar is better and Hughes' contract should be less....? Ok!

People were arguing that Hughes was more deserving of the calder than Makar. Nobody is saying he's been better than Makar "the last couple of years"

Makar just got over payed, and people are saying Hughes shouldn't get that much. Nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

So you think the difference between a Dman that puts up 60+ points, however finishes the year as a -20 or beyond... Vs a 2nd year norris level player is about 500k-1m ?

Huggy is a 6m player. 3x6m then ship him to NJ for a monster package before we have to pay him that long term deal. IF we are smart we will treat those situations like the bluejackets and get a haul while someone else way overpays for too long. ( i know he wanted out regardless ). We will have to get use to shipping out mid/late 20 year olds for picks and prospects if we want to remain competitive for a long time. Possibly some real good players. boeser/huggy ect. I think you keep EP for life. That skill though 

25 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

So you think the difference between a Dman that puts up 60+ points, however finishes the year as a -20 or beyond... Vs a 2nd year norris level player is about 500k-1m ?

Huggy is a 6m player. 3x6m then ship him to NJ for a monster package before we have to pay him that long term deal. IF we are smart we will treat those situations like the bluejackets and get a haul while someone else way overpays for too long. ( i know he wanted out regardless ). We will have to get use to shipping out mid/late 20 year olds for picks and prospects if we want to remain competitive for a long time. Possibly some real good players. boeser/huggy ect. I think you keep EP for life. That skill though 

Lol 6m$ player don’t haul back “monster” package back

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Are you day drinking? 5.4 seth jones literally just did.

Smh, he just signed a 9.5M$ extension!!!

are you saying because Hughes only makes ELC right now his return would be different than after he’s signed to a new contract.  

if I’m drinking you must close to OD right now

Just now, timberz21 said:

Smh, he just signed a 9.5M$ extension!!!

are you saying because Hughes only makes ELC right now his return would be different than after he’s signed to a new contract.  

if I’m drinking you must close to OD right now

It helps you not look like the entire tool shed if you just did a 2 second google search. Jones has 1 year left @ 5.4. AFTER this coming season the 9.5 kicks in.

2 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

It’s tough because everyone will now base Hughes contract off of Makar. Hughes needs to make a huge step next year and play a more sound game. 

Yeah, I know. Imho, here's how Jim need to approach the negotiations:

GMJB talking to agent JP Barry: "So about the contracts of Elias and Quinn..."

JP Barry: "Yeah, about that. You know, Heiskanen's getting $8.45 M AAV and Makar's getting $9 M AAV. Eichel's getting $10 M AAV and Matthews is getting $11.6 M AAV..."

GMJB: "You're not thinking big enough about Elias and Quinn. I think Quinn's comparable is Hedman (who is getting $7.875 M AAV) and Elias' comparable is Nathan Mackinnon (who is getting $6.3 M AAV)."

:P

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

It helps you not look like the entire tool shed if you just did a 2 second google search. Jones has 1 year left @ 5.4. AFTER this coming season the 9.5 kicks in.

Who freaking cares he has a new deal signed at 9.5M, that’s his value.

Also 6M signed in <2016 is not the same in 2021, it’s called inflation, look it up seems you like to do research so much