Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cale Makar signs 6 year contract


Recommended Posts

 

makar is a comparable and  no bridge deal  hughes was second in Calder votes. 

 

7-8 mill for hughes 

ep is clearly a 9 mill player.

 

18 mill to spend on 6/7 player two of which are the teams best. 

Snd this is what Jb would call it “cap flexibility” lolollolololol. 

Better trade for a 30 year old 7.5 mill cap hit before locking up our guys then cry poor 

classy. 
So much ammo for ep and hughs agent. 

Edited by combover
  • Wat 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, that seems like a pretty good deal for Makar IMO. Hilarious that he's cheaper than Jones and Makar just finished 2nd in Norris voting. Jones didn't receive a single vote and has never been higher than 4th in Norris voting. I would put market value for Makar at closer to $10M right now. I expect him to be a top 10 D for the next 10 years or so. A lot of value and I think he took a discount. I'm betting 4 years from now we look at this as one of the better deals in the NHL.

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The canucks are going to have to eventually start paying their top players and not their bottom guys.  It seems normal on most teams that 4 guys get paid and the rest of the team gets the scraps. Not saying it's right its just the way it is.  Benning just has to stop giving out 3 mil contracts to bottom six forwards and 6 mil to bottom pairing d.

Edited by Statman
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, that seems like a pretty good deal for Makar IMO. Hilarious that he's cheaper than Jones and Makar just finished 2nd in Norris voting. Jones didn't receive a single vote and has never been higher than 4th in Norris voting. I would put market value for Makar at closer to $10M right now. I expect him to be a top 10 D for the next 10 years or so. A lot of value and I think he took a discount. I'm betting 4 years from now we look at this as one of the better deals in the NHL.

Yup  a 22 year old Calder winner that’s still going to get better. 

Jones is only 26 and in his prime. 
kinda says this is market value for guys like this. 
hughes won’t be too far off this and  this is an indicator of what EP is worth.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, combover said:

Yup  a 22 year old Calder winner that’s still going to get better. 

Jones is only 26 and in his prime. 
kinda says this is market value for guys like this. 
hughes won’t be too far off this and  this is an indicator of what EP is worth.

 

 

Personally, I think Hughes is quite far off this and even Petey is lower. Hughes doesn't have offense that matches Makar and his defense is far worse. EP hasn't hit a point-per-game yet. Makar almost won the Norris last year. I think he's a level above our guys.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I can't wait for QH to sign above what most people think he's worth and this place explodes.  

To be honest I care less about the Canucks potentially overpaying by a million or so for Quinn Hughes than I do the Canucks losing Kole Lind for nothing when the didn't have to. 

  • Wat 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is nuts especially during a pandemic economy and cap... I know he's really good but the kid has played just 2 seasons and is getting $9M a year even if backloaded.... Now Hughes will want at least $8M!!! It's GMs like that screwing up the whole landscape! I'd have offered him a bridge deal at $6M x3 while he got no arb rights to see if he can keep up in a 82-game season plus playoffs! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

This is nuts especially during a pandemic economy and cap... I know he's really good but the kid has played just 2 seasons and is getting $9M a year even if backloaded.... Now Hughes will want at least $8M!!! It's GMs like that screwing up the whole landscape! I'd have offered him a bridge deal at $6M x3 while he got no arb rights to see if he can keep up in a 82-game season plus playoffs! 

If Quinn wants 8m, then we should really look at trading him for a great package. He should be getting 3x5.5/6 or 6x7/7.5. He hasn't shown enough yet to demand 8m a season, and really at this point, neither has EP.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

If Quinn wants 8m, then we should really look at trading him for a great package. He should be getting 3x5.5/6 or 6x7/7.5. He hasn't shown enough yet to demand 8m a season, and really at this point, neither has EP.

Makar is getting nominated for the Norris for a reason.

 

Quinns agent would have a hard time trying to use him as a comparable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember how people here were saying Quinn was better than Makar during the 2019/2020 season and the bubble.

 

Now it's time to resign Hughes, apparently Hughes isn't as good as Makar anymore.

 

Funny how that works 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1
  • Burr 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seth Jones got 9.5 per.  Omg Chicago is so STUPID!!!  :lol:

Makar being RFA had something to do with him getting less  money than Seth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TmanVan said:

To be honest I care less about the Canucks potentially overpaying by a million or so for Quinn Hughes than I do the Canucks losing Kole Lind for nothing when the didn't have to. 

really Kole Lind? I mean we will see but I'd be surprised if he plays 300 games in any capacity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I remember how people here were saying Quinn was better than Makar during the 2019/2020 season and the bubble.

 

Now it's time to resign Hughes, apparently Hughes isn't as good as Makar anymore.

 

Funny how that works 

Well Quinn was somewhat keeping pace with Makar points wise on their rookie season, but that's due to Makar being injured. Plus Makar is the better defender at this point as well, and last season showed that Makar at this point is quite a bit ahead of Quinn.

I think Quinn will grow and become better defensively while improving his offensive game as well. Will he be as good as Makar? That's too early to tell, but right now he is not, and shouldn't be paid like he is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hammertime said:

really Kole Lind? I mean we will see but I'd be surprised if he plays 300 games in any capacity. 

In the Ekmann-Larson trade thread people were furious when they found out a 2nd round pick was included and said what a waste of assets. "How can we throw away picks like this when our prospect cupboards are so bare!?!"

 

Yet we have a second round pick on the brink of making the NHL after devolping for a few years and people are so quick to disregard him. How ironic! 

 

It's not about Kole Lind overall as much as it is about asset management and how dumb if a move it was.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, that seems like a pretty good deal for Makar IMO. Hilarious that he's cheaper than Jones and Makar just finished 2nd in Norris voting. Jones didn't receive a single vote and has never been higher than 4th in Norris voting. I would put market value for Makar at closer to $10M right now. I expect him to be a top 10 D for the next 10 years or so. A lot of value and I think he took a discount. I'm betting 4 years from now we look at this as one of the better deals in the NHL.

You cant be serious judging how good a Dman is by their number of Norris votes lol. Jones is a 6'4 215pound Dman who can put up 15 goals/60 points on a good team and log 25 minutes. Nope let's ignore all that and look at how many Norris votes he gets and totally forget Columbus sucked pretty badly last year and basically the team gave up on Torts through midway. 

 

Any way Jones and Makar are both amazing Dmen and will be top 5 Dmen in the league during their prime. Makar is still developing though, so 2-3 years off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...