The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver/New Jersey Trade

Hey guys, just for poops and giggles I wanted to see if any of you would consider this now that we have an idea of what Hughes might get after the Makar extension.

Proposed Trade:

New Jersey gets: Quinn Hughes

Vancouver gets: Ty Smith, Nolan Foote, Miles Wood

Vancouver gets a stud D prospect in Smith, plus another great prospect in Foote and a legit young player in Wood. New Jersey gets the chance to have all 3 Hughes brothers.

Vancouver gives up their 1st true superstar D man but gets Smith in return to soften the blow. I estimate Hughes will get 7.5-8M after Makar's extension so that money can get spread out elsewhere. 

Flame away this is just for fun but curious to see what everyone thinks or would do. Underpay or overpay by Jersey? 

I have never thought that Hughes was a defenseman  He is a forward playing in a defensive position.  Makar can play at both ends of the ice.  Hughes is not worth the same money that Makar has just signed for.  I would seriously consider a trade like that.  Maybe add a draft pick to sweeten the pot.

• Wat 1

Hard to move a skilled D like Hughes, but for the right package I would. NJ has the assets to make it happen too, Ty Smith is a decent replacement option for us, then you look to pluck Zacha or Woods or Severson (rhd) and maybe a 2nd round pick for Hughes and maybe something else.

I would highly consider it if NJ is on a Hughes High right now, but that would take some SERIOUS BALLS for the Canuck GM to trade Quinton!

48 minutes ago, CDBudz55 said:

Hey guys, just for poops and giggles I wanted to see if any of you would consider this now that we have an idea of what Hughes might get after the Makar extension.

Proposed Trade:

Vancouver gets a stud D prospect in Smith, plus another great prospect in Foote and a legit young player in Wood. New Jersey gets the chance to have all 3 Hughes brothers.

Vancouver gives up their 1st true superstar D man but gets Smith in return to soften the blow. I estimate Hughes will get 7.5-8M after Makar's extension so that money can get spread out elsewhere. 

Flame away this is just for fun but curious to see what everyone thinks or would do. Underpay or overpay by Jersey? 

It’s a pretty good deal value wise, but I can’t see it happening nor should it.  At the end of the day, the Canucks have an established young core and team identity that have battled together (Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko), and this core, along with Miller, etc., has created the lockerroom atmosphere that we see today and that counts for a lot.  Garland has now been added to that.

Personally, I don’t see Benning moving any of those guys unless a player specifically asks to be traded, or if one of those players starts performing very poorly.  I think the aforementioned players will be here to stay for many many years.

For me it's gotta be Ty Smith, either Holtz or Mukhammadullin (hulking, mobile Russian project defenseman picked at 20th last year) and a mid-round pick (2nd or 3rd).

Smith's scoring is at a respectable 0.48/ game (23 points in 48 games last season) and can play both LD/ RD.  If Shak pans out we could have a defensive tandem of Shak - Smith which would probably be quite solid (Smith already played 20 minutes per game this past season).  Adding another blue-chip winger in Holtz would be nice too (can have him marinate in the minors) but our forward group is already loaded esp. with Garland and Podkolzin joining.  If we keep Schmidt then we have to shed cap from the defense somewhere and I'd trade Quinn when the other Hughes brothers pressure the Devils management to get him.  

The following looks really good on paper if management can make it happen.

Miller - Pete - Boeser
Hoglander - Bo - Garland
Pearson - Dickinson - Podz
Motte - 4C - MacEwen?

OEL - Schmidt* (this pair would have pressure to become an all-situations big minute pair, but I could see it happen)
Shak - Smith
Rathbone - Myers
OJ?  

Demko

Edited by Phil_314

10 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

For me it's gotta be Ty Smith, either Holtz or Mukhammadullin (hulking, mobile Russian project defenseman picked at 20th last year) and a mid-round pick (2nd or 3rd).

Smith's scoring is at a respectable 0.48/ game (23 points in 48 games last season) and can play both LD/ RD.  If Shak pans out we could have a defensive tandem of Shak - Smith which would probably be quite solid (Smith already played 20 minutes per game this past season).  Adding another blue-chip winger in Holtz would be nice too (can have him marinate in the minors) but our forward group is already loaded esp. with Garland and Podkolzin joining.  If we keep Schmidt then we have to shed cap from the defense somewhere and I'd trade Quinn when the other Hughes brothers pressure the Devils management to get him.  

The following looks really good on paper if management can make it happen.

Miller - Pete - Boeser
Hoglander - Bo - Garland
Pearson - Dickinson - Podz
Motte - 4C - MacEwen?

OEL - Schmidt* (this pair would have pressure to become an all-situations big minute pair, but I could see it happen)
Shak - Smith
Rathbone - Myers
OJ?  

Demko

I’m not entirely convinced that OEL-Schmidt can be that all-situations big minute pair but I’d love to be proven wrong obviously.  While I wouldn’t doubt this tandem’s ability to move the puck up ice and generate offense, I’m not entirely sold on their defensive prowess as a tandem. Hence, if the Canucks are destined to move on from Schmidt, I’d like to see Schmidt be replaced by a top pairing shut down caliber guy.  Adam Larsson would have been nice in this role for instance.   

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not entirely convinced that OEL-Schmidt can be that all-situations big minute pair but I’d love to be proven wrong obviously.  While I wouldn’t doubt this tandem’s ability to move the puck up ice and generate offense, I’m not entirely sold on their defensive prowess as a tandem. Hence, if the Canucks are destined to move on from Schmidt, I’d like to see Schmidt be replaced by a top pairing shut down caliber guy.  Adam Larsson would have been nice in this role for instance.   

Same here, but before that happens I think they're the best that we currently have (and Schmidt of course has prior experience in that role with Vegas) so I wouldn't put it past them to find that form again, if only partially.

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Van: QH, Schmidt (Mr Whoop)

NJ: Ty Smith, 2022 1st, Damon Severson

Next, flip Ty Smith to Habs

MTL: Romanov & 2022 2nd

This is the exact proposal I had in mind, but I would keep Smith.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, CDBudz55 said:

Proposed Trade:

I’ll take on your Flames and heat with what I’m about to suggest:

Add Pettersson, Hischier, and Bahl to your above package.  ::::waits to be flamed:::: lol

• Wat 1

If trading QH...need to make a run for the cup and stock the prospect  cupboard. 

1st 2022 + Bahl + Mcleod + Severson.

I think OEL + Schmidt can handle PP duties.  Severson adds to the RHD.  McLeod is a big young 3C or 4C.