The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I feel the opposite way, not having a 1st round pick in back to back years followed by no 3/4th round picks this year and no 2/3rd round picks next year I think we should have taken a more safe pick. I don't recall anyone on this board or any insider suggesting this player for our 2nd round pick. I hope he works out, I was really hoping we would draft RHD heavily this draft but we spread it out again.

No idea why we seem to draft a G every year, I know they take time to develop but Demko is 25, Mikey D is young, Silovs young. I would have rather taken rhd Mr. Bar with that 5th rounder seeing as he was projected to go much earlier. Only time will tell tho, I just feel we went a bit too far out on a limb with limited picks early.

The whole season page after page were written about Benning should be sack if our goaltending guru wasn't being resigned.

If he is that good a coach, giving him something to work with sound fairly smart to me... 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

This is right. 

"Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors".

The fact that he does not have contract in Q and does not play for them makes this complicated, some kind of grey area. We'll see how it is going to be solved. Klimovich does not refuse to play in Q, he just want to check with Canucks which way they want him to go.

This is a very good indicator of his character and desire to play pro hockey in North America.

To me, he seems like a special pick, we should be able to adjust his development path accordingly, and not be subject to the whims of the KHL Masters or stuck in the Q playing against younger and mostly smaller players, which may slow his development.

The young man wants to come, and we now have our farm right in Abby; get him over here where we can help him achieve his goals all day, every day.

And, he gets paid; which is another positive for development when he's still so young and away from home; should help him 'grow up' and in Abby salaries are more reasonable compared to the NHL where the big money can sometimes overwhelm a teenager.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Plus I think he'll make more money in the AHL. And he looks like he's built to play some pro hockey. The Q handcuffs him till he's 20.

he's already NHL sized so I worry about him playing against wee kids. Harden him up in Russia. 

I guess the other option would be to just sign him and play him in the AHL in Abby. Is he ready for that? 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's already NHL sized so I worry about him playing against wee kids. Harden him up in Russia. 

I guess the other option would be to just sign him and play him in the AHL in Abby. Is he ready for that? 

Cull would monitor his ice time and his two way development. PP time too. 

I don't think he'd get much special teams development in the KHL. Every team has an ex-NHL Datsyuk type on the 1st unit. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I read he's not eligible to come up til he's 20 or something. 

He wasnt drafted out of the chl. He can play anywhere without the 20 yr old rule affecting him.

This year

Next year

The year after 

Does not pertain to players drafted outside of the chl.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Are you talking the qmjhl... an extension of the chl?

Just going by Sterlitz and if that includes the CHL agreement? 

This is right. 

"Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors".

The fact that he does not have contract in Q and does not play for them makes this complicated, some kind of grey area. We'll see how it is going to be solved. Klimovich does not refuse to play in Q, he just want to check with Canucks which way they want him to go.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

There is interview with Danila regarding his NHL draft (in Russian):

https://belarushockey.com/nhl/news_nhl/2021/07/25/danila-klimovich-rasskazal-ob-emocijah-drafta-nhl,-v-kotorom-ego-vybral-vankuver/

Q: Tell us how you followed the draft and where you had been at that moment.

A: We had just returned from hiking exercise and were following the draft with cell phones. Guys noticed this first and told me that I was drafted by Vancouver.

Q: Did you have any preferences about NHL club?

A: You never know in the NHL which team is going to draft you. Anyway I am very glad and happy that this happened the way it happened.

Q: Who congratulated you first beside your teammates?

A: My agent Dan Milstein. And then I run to our fan club where my dad was waiting for me, to share my joy with him.

Q: Are you planning to celebrate this news?

A: My dad is already celebrating (smile). We are going to have large dinner with our relatives and friends when I get back to Pinsk (his home town). But I am still on training right now.

Q: Did Canucks contact you?

A: Yes, they called me right after selection. I got calls from about 25 NHL clubs before the draft, some of them were very interested in me. Only Colorado, Chicago and one more team did not call me.

Q: What do you feel as the dream of each young hockey player comes true for you?

A: This is very cool. I work hard, never give up. Always trying to get better. This pays out.

Love this kid’s determination to be great.  While other draft picks are sitting around waiting to be picked, this guy is out training, so he can be better.  That’s focussed on what’s important.  This guy is going to be a friggin’ star.  No doubt the steal of this draft.  I see Pastrnak level of steal.  

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Oh I thought you were talking about the Q. The CHL is different? 

Haha sorry for confusion, I used the Q letter to indicate Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) because this is too long in writing. QMJHL is part of the CHL along with OHL and WHL.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Just going by Sterlitz and if that includes the CHL agreement? 

This is right. 

"Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors".

The fact that he does not have contract in Q and does not play for them makes this complicated, some kind of grey area. We'll see how it is going to be solved. Klimovich does not refuse to play in Q, he just want to check with Canucks which way they want him to go.

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in. To explain this in detail, let's look at three European players who were drafted in 2006: Jiri Tlusty, Artem Anisimov, and Ivan Vishnevskiy. Based on the agreement, the age cutoff for the AHL for 18-year-old players drafted in 2006 would be 20 years old by December 30, 2008.