The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

Here’s a few fun facts:

The Canucks have drafted 41st twice in their history.

John Hughes - 1974

Yann Sauve - 2008

Needless to say both were duds (luckily we picked a much better Hughes in 2018)

Also interesting to note there was another Klimovich drafted 41st overall. Sergei Klimovich to the Blackhawks in 1992. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Here’s a few fun facts:

John Hughes - 1974

Yann Sauve - 2008

Also interesting to note there was another Klimovich drafted 41st overall. Sergei Klimovich to the Blackhawks in 1992. 

Didn't he get hit by a car (during an important stage in his development)?  Never seemed to have bounced back from that.  Tough to hold that against him.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn't he get hit by a car (during an important stage in his development)?  Never seemed to have bounced back from that.  Tough to hold that against him.

I mean that’s what everyone points to.

Good chance he wasnt gonna make it as an NHLer though. His skating just wasn’t good enough.

• Cheers 1

On 8/15/2021 at 12:09 AM, DeNiro said:

Here’s a few fun facts:

John Hughes - 1974

Yann Sauve - 2008

Staycation with nothing much to do?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The thing that worries me about him playing in junior is what I like to refer to as the "Virtanen effect".

What I mean by that is that Klimovich is already a big dude, much like Jake was already a big dude in his draft year. He was able to physically bulldoze his way through the kids and score a boatload of goals because of his size advantage. I just don't want to see Klim become reliant on his size advantage to put up points, because as soon as he makes the jump to either the AHL or NHL, that advantage will disappear. 

• Cheers 1

The Huskies team plays pre-seson games starting Aug 19, Klimovich is going to miss these games in August due to waiting for Canadian work visa. If he has applied for the visa in beginning of this month and everything goes well, then he might come to Canada in first half of September. Huskies also plays pre-season games on Sep 11, 18, 25. Klimovich is listed on the QJMHL site as a Huskies forward https://theqmjhl.ca/roster/11

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The thing that worries me about him playing in junior is what I like to refer to as the "Virtanen effect".

What I mean by that is that Klimovich is already a big dude, much like Jake was already a big dude in his draft year. He was able to physically bulldoze his way through the kids and score a boatload of goals because of his size advantage. I just don't want to see Klim become reliant on his size advantage to put up points, because as soon as he makes the jump to either the AHL or NHL, that advantage will disappear. 

Is the 'boatload' of goals Virtanen scored the 21 he had in his draft +1? Yes, he was a big kid, but he managed two PPG seasons, and his draft +1 was potentially worse than his draft yr statistically. If his size was such an advantage, he didn't make the most of it.

Unfortunately, if you watch some of Klim's game, much of it is reliant on his personal skills on an individual level. He likes to carry the puck with speed, dangle a bit, and then shoot. It's his bread and butter. His skills are better than Virtanen's, but its a similar style.

I've already explained in detail about Klim's former league the VYSS, but he is going to be facing competition that is most likely on overage 2" taller and 30lbs heavier than he is used to in the QMJHL. Even if he is bigger than average, it's a large step up in competition, both size wise and skill wise, which is good for him.

Maybe the QMJHL isn't the best spot for him, nobody really knows. But based upon the info we have on hand, it should be, and it's also a good barometer to see where his game is at, and if he's as good a prospect as many think he is.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You mean you don’t want another Todd Bertuzzi or Dave Andreychuk? They spent the year after their draft year in junior.

13 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

The Huskies team plays pre-seson games starting Aug 19, Klimovich is going to miss these games in August due to waiting for Canadian work visa. If he has applied for the visa in beginning of this month and everything goes well, then he might come to Canada in first half of September. Huskies also plays pre-season games on Sep 11, 18, 25. Klimovich is listed on the QJMHL site as a Huskies forward https://theqmjhl.ca/roster/11

Looks like they've also listed their other import draftee from Belarus - Daniil Bourash. He's gonna be in the '22 NHL draft too.

Also cursory glance at their line-up tells me they don't have any dominant top-6 players, currently on the downcycle after a long 2018-2019 run, seems like a perfect void to be filed by Danila and Daniil.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Is the 'boatload' of goals Virtanen scored the 21 he had in his draft +1? Yes, he was a big kid, but he managed two PPG seasons, and his draft +1 was potentially worse than his draft yr statistically. If his size was such an advantage, he didn't make the most of it.

Unfortunately, if you watch some of Klim's game, much of it is reliant on his personal skills on an individual level. He likes to carry the puck with speed, dangle a bit, and then shoot. It's his bread and butter. His skills are better than Virtanen's, but its a similar style.

I've already explained in detail about Klim's former league the VYSS, but he is going to be facing competition that is most likely on overage 2" taller and 30lbs heavier than he is used to in the QMJHL. Even if he is bigger than average, it's a large step up in competition, both size wise and skill wise, which is good for him.

Maybe the QMJHL isn't the best spot for him, nobody really knows. But based upon the info we have on hand, it should be, and it's also a good barometer to see where his game is at, and if he's as good a prospect as many think he is.

This^^^^.

@Sp3nny, please refer only to the chorus "you took the words right out of my mouth" ONLY.  The rest of the lyrics in this Jim Steinman classic does not apply...though I like ya, not in the way Meat Loaf sings it.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Jake Virtanen only played 50 more junior games after he was drafted. I believe he was rushed to go pro and never really developed properly. Should have played at least one more year of WHL and learned how to play in the top 6 and be effective in many different roles.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Jake Virtanen only played 50 more junior games after he was drafted. I believe he was rushed to go pro and never really developed properly. Should have played at least one more year of WHL and learned how to play in the top 6 and be effective in many different roles.  

As I recall, the only option was WHL or NHL and the Canucks were not happy with his Jr team (Calgary Hitman).  Regardless of where he played, it would be pure speculation to determine if the outcome of his current situation would be any different.

8 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Looks like they've also listed their other import draftee from Belarus - Daniil Bourash. He's gonna be in the '22 NHL draft too.

Also cursory glance at their line-up tells me they don't have any dominant top-6 players, currently on the downcycle after a long 2018-2019 run, seems like a perfect void to be filed by Danila and Daniil.

Another height and weight controversy with an overseas prospect.  HockeyDB says 6'2'' and 202 lbs.  Huskies have him listed as 6'1'' and 185.  Elite Propects 6'1'' and 203.  The Province mentioned him as 6' and 202.  The Daily Hive said 6'1'' and 187.

I am mostly kidding around but it is strange they can't just get the numbers straight.

Edited by Dixon Ward