The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

This pick might end up being a homerun if he continues his blistering pace of moving up the competition. 

Playing in the VHL or MHL would be great, KHL would be amazing! 

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I feel the opposite way, not having a 1st round pick in back to back years followed by no 3/4th round picks this year and no 2/3rd round picks next year I think we should have taken a more safe pick. I don't recall anyone on this board or any insider suggesting this player for our 2nd round pick. I hope he works out, I was really hoping we would draft RHD heavily this draft but we spread it out again.

No idea why we seem to draft a G every year, I know they take time to develop but Demko is 25, Mikey D is young, Silovs young. I would have rather taken rhd Mr. Bar with that 5th rounder seeing as he was projected to go much earlier. Only time will tell tho, I just feel we went a bit too far out on a limb with limited picks early.

I like Mikey, but not sure if he will pan out as an NHL regular. Silovs is a long shot. Given that goalies take a long time to develop I'm ok with it. Just like picking up lots of D-men.

D-men garner usually the biggest return if they pan out. 

11 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The other big advantage, IMO, is that he will be getting top level coaching and guidance from both the big club and Abby if he is signed and plays in the AHL. He would also benefit from having Silovs on the Abby team and although Silovs is Lithuanian, he speaks Russian as well

Latvian.  They know each other well. - Klimovich ventilated him in the Belarus - Latvia U18 game

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Okay so no dangle but good garbage man goal.

With all those traded and drafted players loving to drive the net and hang around for garbage goals, the opposition crease is going to get very crowded in a couple of years

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm in agreement with this. Considering he already has a man's body, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for him to be playing with boys at this point. I'd much rather see him in Abbotsford next year.

And we need bodies in Abbotsford.  Unless JB plans to qualify our RFAs and resign some of the UFAs who formed the taxi squad and 1/2 the team last season, we won't be able to field a team without a lot of AHL contracts.  Looks like Costmar and Karlsson are staying another year in Sweden, and haven't heard anything about Utonen. Jasek and Lind are gone, and its doubtful Gadjovich would clear waivers.   Bring Klimovich over to Abbotsford,  I say

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Will he pass Ruslan Salei as the greatest Belarusian player?

Not a whole lot of great players from that country. The Kostitsyn bros and Grabovski are the only other ones that come to mind.

Hopefully that’s something that motivates him.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree, I'd rather take a chance on a high-risk/high-reward type player. Also, this kid is only 18 and a half, 6'1, 202 lbs. Sounds like he needs to focus on his skating, which is very doable with the proper coaching/training. The maturity and structure will develop with the right guidance. Everything else seems to be in place for him to succeed at the NHL level, and will only improve over the next couple of years. 

Some people need to remember that, although we haven't had first round picks two years in a row, we do have Miller, OEL, and Garland to show for those picks, so it's not as though we came away completely empty-handed from those transactions. 

What actually stood out from I read from Klimovich, is the competitiveness, the drive the kid has. Klimovich is hard on his teamates and on himself. That trait I think will help him along the way because you know when he makes a mistake or something needs to be worked on, he'll try his hardest to fix it.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

As another poster said, if he can play in the KHL, he can play in the AHL where they have full control of his development.  

Plus I think he'll make more money in the AHL. And he looks like he's built to play some pro hockey. The Q handcuffs him till he's 20.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is he ready for the AHL tho? I'd be worried about rushing him into that. Personally I'd like to see him percolate in the KHL for a couple of years like Podz. 

There's a lot of gerrymandering in the KHL.  A lot of vets get bumped up the charts. Some KHL games are like going to the Legion. A lot of scruffy 28-32 year old types and ex-NHLers. So DK's ice time could get lost in the shuffle. And I think he looks ready for the pro game. I think the Q he'll score buckets of goals but I think he'll learn our defensive systems faster in Abby. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Plus I think he'll make more money in the AHL. And he looks like he's built to play some pro hockey. The Q handcuffs him till he's 20.

I think he would only have to commit one year to the Q.  But he wouldn’t make money there.  

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He wasnt drafted out of the CHL. the 20 yr rule doesnt apply to him.

• Cheers 1