The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

This is a very good indicator of his character and desire to play pro hockey in North America.

To me, he seems like a special pick, we should be able to adjust his development path accordingly, and not be subject to the whims of the KHL Masters or stuck in the Q playing against younger and mostly smaller players, which may slow his development.

The young man wants to come, and we now have our farm right in Abby; get him over here where we can help him achieve his goals all day, every day.

And, he gets paid; which is another positive for development when he's still so young and away from home; should help him 'grow up' and in Abby salaries are more reasonable compared to the NHL where the big money can sometimes overwhelm a teenager.

DK  signed a tryout contract with the KHL Dinamo Minsk. He scored a goal and an assist in his first pre-season game. As long as this is good for his development, I'm okay with it. Will be stiffer competition than the CHL or Belarus

Well, it does not seem we have a choice in the matter, but given his age and all, I would rather we sign him immediately, and then loan him to the SHL, as it seems to develope alot of players per capita. 

We would have much more control over him, yet he would be playing against men, and be in a league that does not try to influence his destination choices. I do not like in any how Podkolzin was played in the KHL and question why he was played that way.

• Cheers 2

I want to give Benning a thumbs up for making this pick, from his perspective it's a big gamble, rather than some thing safer.

Seems like there's a conflict where this kid wishes yo play

Danila Klimovich agent Dan Milstein : I will talk with the Canucks next week. Danila would like to sign and play in North America next year.

32 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

DK  signed a tryout contract with the KHL Dinamo Minsk. He scored a goal and an assist in his first pre-season game. As long as this is good for his development, I'm okay with it. Will be stiffer competition than the CHL or Belarus

This is what I'm talking about.

Seems we have a very short window here to welcome him to Canada, the organization, and his fellow Canucks.

Nip this KHL stuff in the bud.

Now.

I have no problem with him playing in the Q personally. He played all of 6 games in the Belarus Pro League. Getting him to NA, but having him learn in a junior league is a benefit, where his size and skill can overcome some difficulties of a language barrier difficulties, along with living conditions/cultural adaptations that need to be made. Some reports have made him out to be somewhat of a emotional player, so having a buffer of lesser competition for a year or two could be a good thing, where he can learn from his mistakes, while not being overly punished and playing lesser minutes. Look how we have reacted to Podkolzin's deployment in the KHL...

I personally think we are eager to force some young kids to play against men, when it isn't necessarily the best for their development. Yes, it helps them play a more pro game, where they learn to play against bigger and tougher competition. However, this also means less minutes, potentially no PP time, and more discipline for your mistakes. I think this can really hamper a players offensive development. We've recently seen a bigger skill player in Mantha tear up the Q for multiple years, without being held back developmentally. If anything, it let him focus on perfecting his goal scoring knack, while also developing his passing and playmaking, where he went from 50G and 30A, to 50G and 60A. And even after this, he spent 2 years in the AHL. But this allowed him to literally step into the NHL and be a 25G 50P forward right off the bat, and increasing on those totals the following seasons.

I see Klimovich as a very raw prospect in a similar vein to Mantha. He definitely has a goal scoring knack, but his passing/playmaking ability leaves a bit to be desired, as well as his skating being a bit awkward. He says he has really worked on his shot recently, which showed in the U18's. Being put into a league that he can potentially dominate will allow him to really develop his offensive skills, where he will see success for his hard work while being deployed as a top line/PP player.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

@stawns Okay, I figure this out. Danila has signed QMJHL contract with Huskies de Rouyn-Noranda in Sep 2020. So he is officially drafted from the CHL. https://sportarena.by/hockey/danil-klimovich-igrok-ruan-noranda-haskiz/

klim.jpg

Just thought I'd throw another handful of mud in to this debate just to keep the situation as murky as possible. Here is another excerpt from the same article 73 percent quoted:

Jiri Tlusty exemplifies the strange hybrid case of a European player who played for the CHL but was drafted from Europe. He was drafted tenth overall in 2006 from HC Kladno of the Czech Extraliga, then signed with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL. After one season, he split the season between the Marlies of the AHL and the NHL's Maple Leafs as a 19-year-old. Since he was drafted by the Maple Leafs from Europe, he was eligible for minor league play. David Krejci could have been in a similar situation; he was also drafted from HC Kladno in the same draft before playing for the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL the following season; he, however, opted to spend two years in juniors before playing for the AHL P-Bruins at the age of 20.

Are we all properly confused yet?

Edited by 204CanucksFan

14 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Just thought I'd throw another handful of mud in to this debate just to keep the situation as murky as possible. Here is another excerpt from the same article 73 percent quoted:

Jiri Tlusty exemplifies the strange hybrid case of a European player who played for the CHL but was drafted from Europe. He was drafted tenth overall in 2006 from HC Kladno of the Czech Extraliga, then signed with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL. After one season, he split the season between the Marlies of the AHL and the NHL's Maple Leafs as a 19-year-old. Since he was drafted by the Maple Leafs from Europe, he was eligible for minor league play. David Krejci could have been in a similar situation; he was also drafted from HC Kladno in the same draft before playing for the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL the following season; he, however, opted to spend two years in juniors before playing for the AHL P-Bruins at the age of 20.

Are we all properly confused yet?

I think Tlusty's example is different, in that he signed in the CHL AFTER being drafted out of Europe. As @Stierlitz post says, he signed with Rouyn in September of 2020, therefore making him drafted out of the CHL.

• Cheers 1

So far reading about this Kid seems like there is nothing to not like about him.

I honestly had no idea who he was, im super happy Jimbo and Scouts had eyes on him. I remember Jimbo was at the Worlds jrs and i wouldnt doubt it if he saw this kid play live and became a fan.

to bad he cant play yet on the AHL Abby JCs. Im not really a KHL development fan and I would rather get this kid as far away from Russia as possible. He sounds like hes at a level hes ready to play against men not boys.

the Q is a boys league unfortunately. 
I personally like the College and Sweden SHL for development of young players who can’t play in the AHL yet.

IMO great pick Jimbo and Team

Seems like a future playoff player with size, scoring and BIG motor. 

Go Canucks Go

45D0E2C6-680B-4B50-87F4-AD6728E02D10.gif

Edited by HockeyHarry

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You have to have sympathy for any one knowingly spending a winter in Rouyn-Noranda

At least the sun shines in Minsk ....

image.png.f4e8e8a8100ed066ca2d0fc845e08b1a.png

Although this could be anywhere .....

image.png.c3a960343b02a87ec5a005da1b34b272.png

Edited by Googlie

On 7/24/2021 at 9:27 AM, Warhippy said:

Ya....i'm gonna go ahead and just be silent on this one until we actually see them in a uniform.  We seem to get "all the steals" but don't seem to see them in our colours so i'll just wait this one out

Yeah, we always talk about potential with draft picks - and it's alright to be excited about them - but so often they are picked where they are for a reason. We can sure hope though! He seems to have some intriguing skills.