The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I like the idea of this type of player. No one really knows what this kids potential is.

Get him into the Q next year and see what he can do in an organized well coach league.

Cross your fingers.

You don’t think the KHL is well coached?  Easily a better player already than Geunther.  So glad we traded that pick.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You don’t think the KHL is well coached?  Easily a better player already than Geunther.  So glad we traded that pick.  

Wouldn't you like to see him here in North America? 

Get him acclimatized.

Remember Tram.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Wouldn't you like to see him here in North America? 

Get him acclimatized.

Remember Tram.

Look at Pastrnak.  That’s how this kid plays.  Steal of the draft.  Sounds like he will come here, but might prefer the AHL.  He’s way too good for the Q.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Look at Pastrnak.  That’s how this kid plays.  Steal of the draft.  Sounds like he will come here, but might prefer the AHL.  He’s way too good for the Q.  

He has been playing in what is equal to a men's league.  I think the Q would be the next step.

• Like 1

Just now, appleboy said:

He has been playing in what is equal to a men's league.  I think the Q would be the next step.

So he’s going to now play against boys?  He dominated at the U18’s against the best boy players on the planet.  If he goes to the Q fine, but he’s ready for the A.  

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stinky is a bustaroo bonsai.  Guy is small, and struggles with skill and skating.  Works in Junior, but not in the NHL.  He’s a career AHLer.  Waste of a pick.  

Not that we need another smaller Mini Mite like Hogy 

but ya gotta say Melmacian, Caulfield's looking pretty good in this "little" bit he's shown us here::D 

Edited by Cat Man

My impression when we drafted him was, "... I actually know him."
Didn't scout past the first round much this year, but someone on here mentioned him, and I was intrigued.
After researching him more, I think it's a high upside pick. Could be huge for us.  

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

This makes no sense to me. You say he's in a men's league and then suggest a boys league?

I get really wanting someone to take a certain step, but please come up with a more logical reasoning behind it. I'm not partial to anything here but this made no sense as I've stated. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Not sure where this idea is coming from that Vysshaya Liga is a men's league? This kid is not ready for AHL; what in God's name is going on around here? Almost seems like some folks are intentionally spreading misinformation to set unrealistic expectations.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

This makes no sense to me. You say he's in a men's league and then suggest a boys league?

I get really wanting someone to take a certain step, but please come up with a more logical reasoning behind it. I'm not partial to anything here but this made no sense as I've stated. lol

He's saying men's league in that's the level of competition. It's low tier, men's league like hockey. Not men's league like he's playing with actual men lol.

I think everyone needs to actually watch some tape on the kid and see the level of competition. He was 16th in league scoring at 1.41 PPG. The leading scorer was at 2.55 PPG and the runner up at 1.91 PPG was 5'7 115lbs. However, the top 4 scorers in the league were all on the same team, so it seems they were a stacked team. Klimovich was second on his team in scoring, so he seemed to pull his weight.

Anyone saying he's "dominant", "way too good", or "too big" for junior NA hockey needs to do a serious assessment. When put in the context of where he actually ranks in the league, you will realize he most definitely should not be out in the deep end right away. Taking a step up to the Q is exactly where he needs to go. If he dominates, awesome! But I personally doubt he would come over and destroy the league

As I said prior, he is very, very raw. He has physical gifts, but his hockey skills need some serious work. He has a rly nice shot, and his stickhandling is excellent as well. Not great acceleration, but his top end speed is nice. At times, he shows ok creativity and vision in his passes, but often, he tries to show off his individual skills, and really likes to put the puck on net. He is often calling for the puck when he doesn't have it.

There isn't a ton of tape on the kid, but if you take the time to watch, you will see how often and easily he is able to go end to end and score a goal. It looks awesome, but you can see just how low tier the hockey is, and why a smaller step up in competition level is plenty to help him develop.

Edited by Sp3nny
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Id rather see Klimovich in N. America, either the Q or the A, doesn't matter. I don't trust any of the KHL politics when it comes to ice time so I'd rather see Klim playing a lot, whether its with older men or juniors, but I do think the safe route is the Q. If hes as good as we are led to believe, he shouldn't have a problem shredding the competition. Not to mention factoring in the pandemic, Canada is doing a hell of a lot better than Russia right now, so its a must safer play to get games in over here

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Not sure where this idea is coming from that Vysshaya Liga is a men's league? This kid is not ready for AHL; what in God's name is going on around here? Almost seems like some folks are intentionally spreading misinformation to set unrealistic expectations.

What's your take on the pick?

3 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Id rather see Klimovich in N. America, either the Q or the A, doesn't matter. I don't trust any of the KHL politics when it comes to ice time so I'd rather see Klim playing a lot, whether its with older men or juniors, but I do think the safe route is the Q. If hes as good as we are led to believe, he shouldn't have a problem shredding the competition. Not to mention factoring in the pandemic, Canada is doing a hell of a lot better than Russia right now, so its a must safer play to get games in over here

Good to get him accustomed to North American culture earlier too.

Something tells me he’s in for a big culture shock. Proved too much for a guy like Tryamkin.

Looks like Tyler Graovac has signed with Dinamo Minsk, the KHL team Klimovich is currently on a trial contract with and may join next season. If Klimovich does indeed sign with Dinamo Minsk, Graovac would be a good, familiar bar to measure his development against.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

What's your take on the pick?

Don't know much about him. Only Belarus game I saw at U18s was the quarterfinal against Russia. Thought the whole team looked really good, actually made Russia sweat a little. There were some other players I really liked who were available at the pick, but if I'm not familiar with the guy they actually tookI can't really compare. Safe to say it's a Chibisov pick primarily, so that's pretty encouraging, given the way Podkolzin is developing.