The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

22 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Youngsters get limited ice time in SHL amd KHL rather have him im Abbotsford playing more minutes under our control.

Not necessarily so with Minsk, and their Canadian coach.  Might put him on a line with Graovac, not the worst thing for a Russian-speaking kid planning to come to Canada

• Cheers 1

The kid definitely is a gamer and is committed to NA. Seems like he isn’t too immature but that stems from mostly his angry/undisciplined nature on the ice apparently. He can be taught to reel it in. 

Definitely hope he can pan out. Has a lot of potential. 

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Not necessarily so with Minsk, and their Canadian coach.  Might put him on a line with Graovac, not the worst thing for a Russian-speaking kid planning to come to Canada

Yes he could but just think playing under our control and on NA rink will prevent bad habits from happening. Plus I don't want him getting a taste of a league that many players bolt to when things go south although he aint Russian and Minsk is in Belarus. But the downside could be Canucks AHL team never seems to be really great at developing to full potential. Petey and Hogz did not go through Comets.

51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The way the Abbotsford team is shaping up, I really hope Klimovich plays in the AHL.

First off, just given the quality of some of the players being signed today for the junior Canucks, if Klimovich can crack that roster, it’ll mean he’s close to NHL level, just by virtue of being at comparable level what are some legit AAAA players. 

Secondly, that quality of teammates can only help his development, and playing with them should give him a pretty good sense as to what life would be like on an NHL line.

And third, I just think between Trent Cull and the coaching staff, Ryan Johnson, Chris Higgins, and the Sedins taking an active interest in AHL operations, Abbotsford is likely going to be a great spot for a young player to soak up some wisdom, and get quality coaching and mentorship, to optimize his development.

ABBOTSFORD
forwards  
gadjovich   petan   lockwood  
guiseppe   dowling   plasek  
arseneau?   focht   bailey  
    wouters   klimovich  
    dries      
    stevens?      

defensemen      
rathbone       woo  
brisbois       bowey  
stephans       keeper  
hunt       burroughs  

goalies      
    dipietro      
    silovs      

jasek - europe      

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:
ABBOTSFORD
forwards  
gadjovich   petan   lockwood  
guiseppe   dowling   plasek  
arseneau?   focht   bailey  
    wouters   klimovich  
    dries      
    stevens?      

defensemen      
rathbone       woo  
brisbois       bowey  
stephans       keeper  
hunt       burroughs  

goalies      
    dipietro      
    silovs      

jasek - europe      

They are off to a decent start

Found details of his ELC https://www.capfriendly.com/players/danila-klimovich

SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg BASE SALARY q2.svg TOTAL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2021-22   $886,667 $925,000 $82,500 $92,500 $750,000 $842,500 $80,000
2022-23   $886,667 $925,000 $32,500 $92,500 $800,000 $892,500 $80,000
2023-24   $886,667 $925,000 $0 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $80,000
TOTAL   $2,660,001 $2,775,000 $115,000 $277,500 $2,382,500 $2,660,000 $240,000

1 hour ago, Nucksownyou said:

They must really see something in this kid if they gave him and ELC right away.

It seems like they wanted to control his development. I am sure they saw how hard it was for Podz to get ice, and its only his exceptional talent and work ethic that saved him from being messed up by a lack of playing time his first year in the KHL. Klimovich is probably not podz level and its never good to trust the development to others, especially when Russian's know the player isn't sticking around.

In my view, they should send him to the Q - why?

1. He gets his feet wet in North America

2. Hopefully he dominates and gains alot of confidence

3. Gives him some time to get man strength, and ready for the AHL

4. Contract won't kick in until he's a pro, either AHL or Europe.

5. Maybe send him to SHL to a team we have a relationship with if he's ready to play vs men but not AHL

We don't want to push this kid too fast like Jake. If he's as talented as he seems, he could be a gem and we need to not rush him. I love that he said he's coming over to make the team, and he signed. He wants to be here, he has a great competitive attitude.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kid’s English is pretty good already.  Clearly he’s a guy who wants to be an NHL player.  Got star written all over him.  Great pick.  (Better than you know who.)

Alf, I am unclear how a pick could be an NHL player if Judd Brackett didn't pick him?  Please clarify

• Haha 4

I really have no problem with him going and playing next season with Minsk if he doesn't make the team out of camp. What happened with Podkolzin and SKA isn't going to be what happens to Klimovich. The KHL is a league of  the 'Haves' and 'Have Nots', and basically every team outside of SKA and CSKA belong to the 'Have Not' group. Minsk is the kind of team that just wants to compete in the KHL and they will play anyone who they think gives them a chance to win.

They won't have the attitude of "If you don't sign with us we aren't going to play you", plus it looks really good for them having the young, local kid playing a major role for the team. If the kid can go to the KHL, play top 6 minutes and put up points as an 18/19 year old it could be better for his development than the AHL.

As many have pointed out the Minsk coaching and development staff are very heavily geared towards the NA style. Also add in that the majority of teams in the KHL use an NA size rink so he can get used to that size ice and the kind of time and space it affords. The other big factor for me is that, despite there being some debate on the topic on these boards, the KHL is still the 2nd best hockey league in the world. And I really can't see a downside to having him developing in a major role in that league.

• Thanks 2