The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

10 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I've stated my opinion on where he should play many pages back, but I will reiterate for those who missed it, as I think it puts into perspective the situation for both those who watch his play, but also those who look at his stats.

VYSSHAYA is the primary league Klim played in. Looking at his stats from his draft year, you see he was near a goal per game and well over a PPG. In a normal league that we are used to (any CHL, NCAA, Allsvenskan, SHL etc) these numbers look fantastic.

However, if you look into the VYSS further, you will see Klim was 16th in league scoring, and even further, 38th in PPG. Some of the players have small samples of only a few games, but even removing those puts him around 20th. Still pretty good, but what if I then told you the top player was at 2.55PPG and had 2.5x as many points as Klim? Or if the second leading scorer in the league at 1.94 PPG was 5'7 115lbs? Third leading scorer was over 2 PPG, but checked in at 134lbs. In fact, the average size of the top 10 is 5'10 156lbs. And as far as I can tell, VYSS is an U20 league.

The top 10 scorers in the Q last year who "dominated" the league come in at an average size of 6'0 190lbs. The Q also has overage players meaning that there are many 20+ yr olds throughout the league.

Putting this all into context, Danila has the size the play hockey with men, and I personally would say he has the skill to as well. But should he go up against the second best men in the world? Think about it from his POV. He is used to playing against an average size of 150lbs. He likely doesn't think much of going into the corner for a puck, driving the net, or cutting through the middle of the ice, as he is much bigger than most around him. Is the next logical step for him to go to the AHL, with almost nobody else his age playing? Where the average size is likely 3' and 50lbs greater than he is used to, and most definitely more physical in nature. A league where his patented style will be neutralized, and there is less flexibility for mistakes? 

Or is it to a junior league, where the competition is reasonably better than he is used to, the players are 30lbs heavier than he is used to, and he is of average age in the league. Where he can make mistakes, adapt to NA amongst peers, and continue to learn to use his patented style in tougher competition.

To me, I think the QMJHL is the next logical step. Even if it's just one season, he will be that much more ready for the AHL the following year. I'm not saying the AHL is a bad idea, sometimes players can have great success making the jump. But those examples are extremely limited. Do we want him learning to play pro hockey on a 3rd or 4th line, or learning how to actually dominate his peers.

People have been using the term "dominate" like its a bad thing. Would it be terrible for him to dominate the QMJHL? Absolutely not. A case could be made that it reinforces bad habits, but thats for players who have ALREADY dominated the league using said habits. All we know about Danila so far is that he performed well in a lesser league. He needs to be given the opportunity to show how his skills translate to a tougher league, without the ask being too much.

The last point to consider I think, is do we consider Kole Lind as having "dominated" the WHL before moving up to the AHL? If so, how did his transition go? I'm sure we would agree that his first AHL year was a bit of a struggle for him. How will Danila's transition go, when we don't know for sure that he would "dominate" the Q. Many good players have dominated the Q and turned out just fine. See Kucherov and even our newest top 6 player in Conor Garland. Has anyone seen Garlands stats in the Q? Very high end, and he still took 2 years in the AHL after before making making the NHL.

All that being said, I'm sure the Canucks along with Danila will be able to make the best choice. It will be very fun watching him develop!

Once he's in the Q, he's there until he's 20

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

The last point to consider I think, is do we consider Kole Lind as having "dominated" the WHL before moving up to the AHL? If so, how did his transition go? I'm sure we would agree that his first AHL year was a bit of a struggle for him. How will Danila's transition go, when we don't know for sure that he would "dominate" the Q. Many good players have dominated the Q and turned out just fine. See Kucherov and even our newest top 6 player in Conor Garland. Has anyone seen Garlands stats in the Q? Very high end, and he still took 2 years in the AHL after before making making the NHL.

All that being said, I'm sure the Canucks along with Danila will be able to make the best choice. It will be very fun watching him develop!

Very similar to Gadjovich.  A man among boys with Owen Sound (over a ppg last 2 seasons there) but struggled for 2 years in Utica (injuries didn't help) but had his breakout season a few months ago.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2

15 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Danila and his dad in 2017

klimdad.jpg

I’m wondering if, because Danila is so young (18) the Canucks find a billet family for him?  In the Q he’d for sure have one, so maybe we should do that if he’s in Abbotsford?  

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

My understanding is that as he was drafted out of Europe, he can move to the AHL at any point. See Jiri Tlusty as an example.

There's so many wrinkles it's hard to know the way it works.  My understanding is, regardless of where drafted, once he's chl property he's ineligible for the A until he's 20.  I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Regardless, I'd bring him to Abbg straight off anyway

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's so many wrinkles it's hard to know the way it works.  My understanding is, regardless of where drafted, once he's chl property he's ineligible for the A until he's 20.  I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Regardless, I'd bring him to Abbg straight off anyway

Have a look at this article and let me know what you think. I think it's clear he can play junior and them AHL whenever he wants after.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

• Hydration 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if, because Danila is so young (18) the Canucks find a billet family for him?  In the Q he’d for sure have one, so maybe we should do that if he’s in Abbotsford?  

I am expecting Danila to come to NA with his dad. I mean his dad does not need to work in Belarus anymore with amount of money Klim is going to be paid in the AHL - 172,500 USD is roughly 215,000 CAD. Minus taxes, this is still about 135,000 CAD per year.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

I’m excited about the potential of this kid and the player he can become. He will play a big part of our young core for years to come and hopefully help this team lift its 1st elusive Cup. He has a lot of development to go through but hoping he becomes the player we all envision him to be

56 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I am expecting Danila to come to NA with his dad. I mean his dad does not need to work in Belarus anymore with amount of money Klim is going to be paid in the AHL - 172,500 USD is roughly 215,000 CAD. Minus taxes, this is still about 135,000 CAD per year.

I am curious as to why you expect his dad to come. Do you have some reasons to support that. Not that I am disagreeing with what you stated; just wondering if you have seen something in the news from that neck of the woods to suggest that. Perhaps the whole family applies to move to Canada?

Just did a bit of checking.. Canadian dollar is worth about 2 Belarusian Rubles. Whole family could afford to move here compared to what they probably would make in Belarus.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

9 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am curious as to why you expect his dad to come. Do you have some reasons to support that. Not that I am disagreeing with what you stated; just wondering if you have seen something in the news from that neck of the woods to suggest that. Perhaps the whole family applies to move to Canada?

Just did a bit of checking.. Canadian dollar is worth about 2 Belarusian Rubles. Whole family could afford to move here compared to what they probably would make in Belarus.

This is just my expectation because he is so young, moving to another country for long period of time and the fact that his dad is so much involved in the Danila's hockey career. The issue might be getting Canadian visa for his dad but hopefully the Canucks organization could help them with this.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

18 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Have a look at this article and let me know what you think. I think it's clear he can play junior and them AHL whenever he wants after.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

except DM was drafted by a CHL team before he was drafted by an NHL team.  If he reports to his CHL team I think he's then ineligible.

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

This is just my expectation because he is so young, moving to another country for long period of time and the fact that his dad is so much involved in the Danila's hockey career. The issue might be getting Canadian visa for his dad but hopefully the Canucks organization could help them with this.

not unrealistic thatmaybe his parents move with him?  It's not unprecedented

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

except DM was drafted by a CHL team before he was drafted by an NHL team.  If he reports to his CHL team I think he's then ineligible.

This would seem to support your case.

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in.

Ivan Vishnevskiy is the opposite case. He was the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies' (QMJHL) second pick in the CHL import draft in 2005, before being drafted by the Dallas Stars out of R-N in 2006. Since he was drafted from a CHL team, the same rules apply to Vishnevskiy as any other player drafted from a CHL team: 20 years old or 4 years of play. Vishnevskiy played for Rouyn-Noranda for three seasons, turned 20 during the 2007-2008 season, and reported to the Peoria Rivermen of the AHL to start the 2008-2009 season.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in.

Ivan Vishnevskiy is the opposite case. He was the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies' (QMJHL) second pick in the CHL import draft in 2005, before being drafted by the Dallas Stars out of R-N in 2006. Since he was drafted from a CHL team, the same rules apply to Vishnevskiy as any other player drafted from a CHL team: 20 years old or 4 years of play. Vishnevskiy played for Rouyn-Noranda for three seasons, turned 20 during the 2007-2008 season, and reported to the Peoria Rivermen of the AHL to start the 2008-2009 season.

The part I can't truly figure out is.......though he was drafted by a chl team, he never played in the CHL and was drafted out of Europe.  So, I believe he is eligible for the AHL.  It's not an easy wrinkle to clear up

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Vishnevskiy played in the CHL before being drafted. Klimovich has not. That's the difference. However, it's reported that Danila may have signed with Rouyn, but since he couldn't get into Canada, it's unknown if the contract was ever validated. Atleast that's my understanding at this point. It is definitely tricky, but to me, he is closest to Tlusty situation.

• Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The part I can't truly figure out is.......though he was drafted by a chl team, he never played in the CHL and was drafted out of Europe.  So, I believe he is eligible for the AHL.  It's not an easy wrinkle to clear up

Yeah, but if I attach the rule before my post it certainly seems that a European drafted to the CHL before the NHL is governed by the NHL/CHL agreement...just my opinion and I agree it is kind of muddy.

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them