The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

23 hours ago, nzan said:

If he can't cut it in the AHL (no shame in that at this point) and they sent him to the Q - would that not keep him out of AHL/NHL the following season?

Wouldn't he be better off in the K in that case?

if he ain't ready for the AHL then he ain't ready for the KHL either.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

if he ain't ready for the AHL then he ain't ready for the KHL either.

I haven't been very clear.

I was speaking less about his ability and more about restrictions/regulations that come into play depending on what league you play in.

Those may not even exist anymore, or maybe they don't apply because he hasn't come up through the North American junior system.

I just don't know, similar to the 'I-don't-know' explanation offered by @elvis15

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I don't know if the NHL or CHL only rule applies only if a player was drafted from the CHL, or if it would also apply if he played in the CHL for a season after the draft. It may not. Obviously overseas is not impacted either way.

My guess is that because he's technically signed to an NHL contract and not a CHL contract, that the NHL team decides the length of that "loan" if you will.

I could be wrong, but contractually that makes sense to me. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

My guess is that because he's technically signed to an NHL contract and not a CHL contract, that the NHL team decides the length of that "loan" if you will.

I could be wrong, but contractually that makes sense to me. 

Yeah, I think when it comes to CHL/NHL Agreement (the age 20 AHL rule), that only applies to players with the draft status as CHL players, which Klimovich isn’t, as he’s been deemed a European drafted player.

So, he’s exempt from the age 20 rule, and can play in the AHL from age 18.

If he’s loaned to the QMJHL, he won’t suddenly get locked into an AHL age 20 requirement, as his draft status is already determined, so the CHL/NHL agreement shouldn’t come into play.

And players under NHL contracts can be recalled from their CHL teams, even mid season, so I’d imagine the Canucks could pull him out of the QMJHL whenever they wanted (not sure exactly—usually you need an emergency recall, and certain circumstances to pull kids out of junior during the season, but there might be even more flexibility with Klimovich, with his status).

EDIT: In any case, if they decide to send Klimovich to the Q for this season, I’d bet they’d probably just leave him there for the full year, and then maybe bring him back to the NHL/AHL after his junior season ended. And then next season, they’d start over again and determine where he’ll play based on how he looks at training camp.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just to clarify, he got on the flight to Bulgaria to go get vaccinated so that he has one less issue coming to Canada.  

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Is he even old enough to have watched Pavel.

I thought the same, Pavel's last NHL game was 2003, the same year Danila was born.

Maybe Belarus has a ime delay of several years on their television feeds. 

• Haha 4

It will be pretty hard to swallow if Ratty or Heimosalmi turn into NHL studs. That being said. I'm happy to wait and see I trust that JB and co did their homework. 

I just have flashbacks of passing on the obvious pick Hague for Lind who JB seemed to think was the obvious pick. Moot now I guess. 

I'm pretty excited to see Danila at camp. Hopefully he earns a spot in Abby.